4632 - Use ETW for logging and additional tracing

4632 - Use ETW for logging and additional tracing

SeanHall
I was reading through the issue here and the WIP and it sounds like the goal is to use EventWrite as the foundation for logging in 4.x.  As noted in the WIP, EventWrite was introduced in Vista/2008.

Are we planning on dropping support for XP in 4.x?  Does that mean we should bump up to .NET 4.5?

If we're still releasing v4.0 in the next few months, I don't think XP has been end of lifed for long enough to do that.

Re: 4632 - Use ETW for logging and additional tracing

Rob Mensching-7

Honestly, the way the numbers are going… I don’t know when we drop support for XP SP3. <sigh/>

FireGiant  |  Dedicated support for the WiX toolset  |  http://www.firegiant.com/

I was reading through the issue here and the WIP and it sounds like the goal is to use EventWrite as the foundation for logging in 4.x.  As noted in the WIP, EventWrite was introduced in Vista/2008.

Are we planning on dropping support for XP in 4.x?  Does that mean we should bump up to .NET 4.5?

If we're still releasing v4.0 in the next few months, I don't think XP has been end of lifed for long enough to do that.

Re: 4632 - Use ETW for logging and additional tracing

Phill Hogland

I may be misunderstanding the context of the question, but since I support setups on win7 (and newer) I prefer .Net 4.0 since it is included in Win 7 and I do not need to install .Net 4.5.  But that is just my perspective, which could be changed.

On 20-Jan-15 23:14, Sean Hall wrote:
> Are we planning on dropping support for XP in 4.x? Does that mean we
> should bump up to .NET 4.5?
Runtime, I agree with Rob: It'll be a couple of years before XP drops to
nuisance levels. Build time, I think it'd be fine to assume Windows >=7
and .NET 4.>=5.

http://joyofsetup.com/

Re: 4632 - Use ETW for logging and additional tracing

Rob Mensching-7
Agreed except there would need to be something really compelling in .NET v4.5 for us to move there. It seems .NET v4.0 serves us just fine.