Anybody using Paraffin?

Dan Gough
Hi,

I want to have my automated WiX build automatically pick up the occasional
new file (and drop the odd deleted one) without regenerating any component
GUIDs.  I've found this tool named Paraffin that's designed to solve the
problem, but it hasn't been updated in a while:

http://www.wintellect.com/CS/blogs/jrobbins/archive/tags/Paraffin/default.aspx

I'd like to know if any users out there have had experience using this with
WiX v3.6 Beta?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Re: Anybody using Paraffin?

justin hull
In short I have used it to good success.  It took a little bit to work through the options, but in the end I got a nice fragment file I could include in a dynamic build.  After the fact I learned that MISInstaller prefers each file have its own component, I used paraffin to group by directory.  When we stich over to a major release I will adjust my scripts to conform to default behavior.
I also like that you can dig into the source code.  It is worth a look.

Justin Hull
Sr. Developer

Maximizing Asset Performance
(864) 679-3513  Office

Re: Anybody using Paraffin?

KBourne
Using it here too, with great success. Easy to use with our TFS build server. Also love the fact that we have the source code.

Kevin Bourne | Software Developer Lead | Chase Paymentech

JPMorgan Chase & Co.

I want to have my automated WiX build automatically pick up the occasional
new file (and drop the odd deleted one) without regenerating any component
GUIDs.  I've found this tool named Paraffin that's designed to solve the
problem, but it hasn't been updated in a while:

http://www.wintellect.com/CS/blogs/jrobbins/archive/tags/Paraffin/default.aspx

I'd like to know if any users out there have had experience using this with
WiX v3.6 Beta?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

THIS MESSAGE IS CONFIDENTIAL.  This e-mail message and any attachments are proprietary and confidential information intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you may not print, distribute, or copy this message or any attachments.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this message and any attachments from your computer.

Re: Anybody using Paraffin?

John Robbins
Thanks all for the kind words about Paraffin! *blush*

If you're just getting started with Paraffin make sure to read the Zen of Paraffin to help you get started. (http://www.wintellect.com/CS/blogs/jrobbins/archive/2010/08/31/zen-of-paraffin.aspx)

As always, if anyone has any bugs or feature requests, please let me know and I'll get on them.

John
Wintellect
http://www.wintellect.com
+1-877-968-5528

On Jan 10, 2012, at 10:00 AM, Bourne, Kevin wrote:

> Using it here too, with great success. Easy to use with our TFS build server. Also love the fact that we have the source code.
>

> Kevin Bourne | Software Developer Lead | Chase Paymentech
>
> JPMorgan Chase & Co.

Ok, I've got an initial fragment created and sussed out how to perform an
update.  However, some of my components have <XmlFile> entries, and these
get dropped when updating.  I tried putting these entries into
.paraffinmold files, but then if I want it associated with the original
component, I end up getting duplicate component entries which then produces
errors at compile time.

I will eventually be adding registry and service information to some of
these components and am thinking Paraffin might strip these out also when
updating, can anybody confirm?

I would appreciate any advice at this point on the best way forward.

Thanks,
Dan

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 2:25 AM, John Robbins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks all for the kind words about Paraffin! *blush*
>
> If you're just getting started with Paraffin make sure to read the Zen of
> Paraffin to help you get started. (
> http://www.wintellect.com/CS/blogs/jrobbins/archive/2010/08/31/zen-of-paraffin.aspx
> )
>
> As always, if anyone has any bugs or feature requests, please let me know
> and I'll get on them.
>
> John
> Wintellect
> http://www.wintellect.com
> +1-877-968-5528
>
> On Jan 10, 2012, at 10:00 AM, Bourne, Kevin wrote:
>
> > Using it here too, with great success. Easy to use with our TFS build
> server. Also love the fact that we have the source code.
> >

> > Kevin Bourne | Software Developer Lead | Chase Paymentech
> > [hidden email]
> >
> > JPMorgan Chase & Co.

Re: Anybody using Paraffin?

Dan Gough
Just tried again and the XmlFile tags are no longer being removed, must
have made a mistake somewhere!  Also confirmed that test values for
registry and service entries are left untouched also.

Plodding on, wish me luck!

Cheers,
Dan

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Dan Gough <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, I've got an initial fragment created and sussed out how to perform an
> update.  However, some of my components have <XmlFile> entries, and these
> get dropped when updating.  I tried putting these entries into
> .paraffinmold files, but then if I want it associated with the original
> component, I end up getting duplicate component entries which then produces
> errors at compile time.
>
> I will eventually be adding registry and service information to some of
> these components and am thinking Paraffin might strip these out also when
> updating, can anybody confirm?
>
> I would appreciate any advice at this point on the best way forward.
>
> Thanks,
> Dan
>

> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 2:25 AM, John Robbins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks all for the kind words about Paraffin! *blush*
>>
>> If you're just getting started with Paraffin make sure to read the Zen of
>> Paraffin to help you get started. (
>> http://www.wintellect.com/CS/blogs/jrobbins/archive/2010/08/31/zen-of-paraffin.aspx
>> )
>>
>> As always, if anyone has any bugs or feature requests, please let me know
>> and I'll get on them.
>>
>> John
>> Wintellect
>> http://www.wintellect.com
>> +1-877-968-5528
>>
>> On Jan 10, 2012, at 10:00 AM, Bourne, Kevin wrote:
>>
>> > Using it here too, with great success. Easy to use with our TFS build
>> server. Also love the fact that we have the source code.
>> >

>> > Kevin Bourne | Software Developer Lead | Chase Paymentech
>> > [hidden email]
>> >
>> > JPMorgan Chase & Co.

Re: Anybody using Paraffin?

Dan Gough
Ok, I have Paraffin working nicely now.  I initially used Heat.exe with the
-suid option so that my IDs have friendly names, then modified the
resulting wxs into Paraffin format.

When I run Paraffin however, the resulting .PARAFFIN file only contains the
default namespace declaration, and not the one I added to the intial wxs
file for the util extension:

<Wix xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/wi"
 *xmlns:util="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/UtilExtension"*>

John, can you add a feature request to retain the original attributes on
the root element when creating the Paraffin file?

I may have a go myself since I have the source, but my C# is very rusty and
haven't used LINQ before!  Anybody come across this problem and have a
solution already?

Cheers,
Dan

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Dan Gough <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just tried again and the XmlFile tags are no longer being removed, must
> have made a mistake somewhere!  Also confirmed that test values for
> registry and service entries are left untouched also.
>
> Plodding on, wish me luck!
>
> Cheers,
> Dan
>

> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Dan Gough <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Ok, I've got an initial fragment created and sussed out how to perform an
>> update.  However, some of my components have <XmlFile> entries, and these
>> get dropped when updating.  I tried putting these entries into
>> .paraffinmold files, but then if I want it associated with the original
>> component, I end up getting duplicate component entries which then produces
>> errors at compile time.
>>
>> I will eventually be adding registry and service information to some of
>> these components and am thinking Paraffin might strip these out also when
>> updating, can anybody confirm?
>>
>> I would appreciate any advice at this point on the best way forward.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dan
>>

>> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 2:25 AM, John Robbins <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks all for the kind words about Paraffin! *blush*
>>>
>>> If you're just getting started with Paraffin make sure to read the Zen
>>> of Paraffin to help you get started. (
>>> http://www.wintellect.com/CS/blogs/jrobbins/archive/2010/08/31/zen-of-paraffin.aspx
>>> )
>>>
>>> As always, if anyone has any bugs or feature requests, please let me
>>> know and I'll get on them.
>>>
>>> John
>>> Wintellect
>>> http://www.wintellect.com
>>> +1-877-968-5528

>>> server. Also love the fact that we have the source code.

Hi Dan,

Your wish is my command. :) I updated Paraffin to keep any custom added namespaces: http://www.wintellect.com/CS/blogs/jrobbins/archive/2012/01/19/paraffin-3-6-now-keeping-custom-added-namespaces.aspx

Thanks for the great feature request and using Paraffin!

John
Wintellect
http://www.wintellect.com
+1-877-968-5528

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 2:25 AM, John Robbins <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
Thanks all for the kind words about Paraffin! *blush*

If you're just getting started with Paraffin make sure to read the Zen of Paraffin to help you get started. (http://www.wintellect.com/CS/blogs/jrobbins/archive/2010/08/31/zen-of-paraffin.aspx)

As always, if anyone has any bugs or feature requests, please let me know and I'll get on them.

John
Wintellect
http://www.wintellect.com<http://www.wintellect.com/>
+1-877-968-5528<tel:%2B1-877-968-5528>

On Jan 10, 2012, at 10:00 AM, Bourne, Kevin wrote:

> Using it here too, with great success. Easy to use with our TFS build server. Also love the fact that we have the source code.
>

> Kevin Bourne | Software Developer Lead | Chase Paymentech
> [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> JPMorgan Chase & Co.

Stuck on error PYRO0243 : Component has a changed keypath

justin hull
I tried searching Google and the archive, but I don't have a clear answer/understanding of why I am getting this error:

error PYRO0243 : Component <> has a changed keypath

I am trying to create a patch using the base version of a full install against a REL 2.  According to some accounts, this occurs when the first resource of a component is changed, but in each case the file names are the same other than the source location.  I've attached the two wxs files, but one spot where I get the error is shown below.  Is there a way to override the message?  In the WixEditor I did not see a keypath attribute on the component.

<Rel 2 Code>
                    <Directory Id="sqlTRIGGERSDIR" Name="TRIGGERS">
                        <Component Id="sqlTRIGGERS" DiskId="1" Guid="A89FC340-C3C3-4841-B3FC-C344B2A2582D">
                            <Condition>DBTYPE=1</Condition>
                            <File Id="DEMPLOY.SQL_1" Name="DEMPLOY.SQL" Source="\\apshares\data2\Tw8-2\Pro00\DATABASE\mssql\TRIGGERS\DEMPLOY.SQL" />
                            <File Id="deqevent.sql" Name="deqevent.sql" Source="\\apshares\data2\Tw8-2\Pro00\DATABASE\mssql\TRIGGERS\deqevent.sql" />
                            <File Id="DEQHIER.SQL_1" Name="DEQHIER.SQL" Source="\\apshares\data2\Tw8-2\Pro00\DATABASE\mssql\TRIGGERS\DEQHIER.SQL" />
                            <File Id="DEQLUDVA.SQL_1" Name="DEQLUDVA.SQL" Source="\\apshares\data2\Tw8-2\Pro00\DATABASE\mssql\TRIGGERS\DEQLUDVA.SQL" />
                            <File Id="DEQMETER.SQL_1" Name="DEQMETER.SQL" Source="\\apshares\data2\Tw8-2\Pro00\DATABASE\mssql\TRIGGERS\DEQMETER.SQL" />
                            <File Id="DEQSEUDV.SQL_1" Name="DEQSEUDV.SQL" Source="\\apshares\data2\Tw8-2\Pro00\DATABASE\mssql\TRIGGERS\DEQSEUDV.SQL" />
                            <File Id="DEQSRIAL.SQL_1" Name="DEQSRIAL.SQL" Source="\\apshares\data2\Tw8-2\Pro00\DATABASE\mssql\TRIGGERS\DEQSRIAL.SQL" />
                            <File Id="DINITLOC.SQL_1" Name="DINITLOC.SQL" Source="\\apshares\data2\Tw8-2\Pro00\DATABASE\mssql\TRIGGERS\DINITLOC.SQL" />
                            <File Id="DINITSPC.SQL_1" Name="DINITSPC.SQL" Source="\\apshares\data2\Tw8-2\Pro00\DATABASE\mssql\TRIGGERS\DINITSPC.SQL" />
                            <File Id="dinlgmat.sql_1" Name="dinlgmat.sql" Source="\\apshares\data2\Tw8-2\Pro00\DATABASE\mssql\TRIGGERS\dinlgmat.sql" /

<Base Code>
                    <Directory Id="sqlTRIGGERSDIR" Name="TRIGGERS">
                        <Component Id="sqlTRIGGERS" DiskId="1" Guid="A89FC340-C3C3-4841-B3FC-C344B2A2582D">
                            <Condition>DBTYPE=1</Condition>
                            <File Id="DEMPLOY.SQL" Name="DEMPLOY.SQL" Source="\\apshares\data2\Tw8-2\Pro00\DATABASE\mssql\TRIGGERS\DEMPLOY.SQL" />
                            <File Id="DEQCATMS.SQL" Name="DEQCATMS.SQL" Source="\\apshares\data2\Tw8-2\Pro00\DATABASE\mssql\TRIGGERS\DEQCATMS.SQL" />
                            <File Id="DEQEVENT.SQL" Name="deqevent.sql" Source="\\apshares\data2\Tw8-2\Pro00\DATABASE\mssql\TRIGGERS\deqevent.sql" />
                            <File Id="DEQEVUDV.SQL" Name="DEQEVUDV.SQL" Source="\\apshares\data2\Tw8-2\Pro00\DATABASE\mssql\TRIGGERS\DEQEVUDV.SQL" />
                            <File Id="DEQHIER.SQL" Name="DEQHIER.SQL" Source="\\apshares\data2\Tw8-2\Pro00\DATABASE\mssql\TRIGGERS\DEQHIER.SQL" />
                            <File Id="DEQLUDVA.SQL" Name="DEQLUDVA.SQL" Source="\\apshares\data2\Tw8-2\Pro00\DATABASE\mssql\TRIGGERS\DEQLUDVA.SQL" />
                            <File Id="DEQMETER.SQL" Name="DEQMETER.SQL" Source="\\apshares\data2\Tw8-2\Pro00\DATABASE\mssql\TRIGGERS\DEQMETER.SQL" />
                            <File Id="DEQSEUDV.SQL" Name="DEQSEUDV.SQL" Source="\\apshares\data2\Tw8-2\Pro00\DATABASE\mssql\TRIGGERS\DEQSEUDV.SQL" />
                            <File Id="DEQSRIAL.SQL" Name="DEQSRIAL.SQL" Source="\\apshares\data2\Tw8-2\Pro00\DATABASE\mssql\TRIGGERS\DEQSRIAL.SQL" />
                            <File Id="DINCTLTY.SQL" Name="DINCTLTY.SQL" Source="\\apshares\data2\Tw8-2\Pro00\DATABASE\mssql\TRIGGERS\DINCTLTY.SQL" />

Justin Hull
Sr. Developer

Maximizing Asset Performance

864-679-3513 office
[hidden email]
http://www.assetpoint.com

Re: Stuck on error PYRO0243 : Component has a changedkeypath

Peter Shirtcliffe
When a keypath attribute is not explicitly specified, the first file or
registry key in the component is used, but this is not recommended.
Do those code snippets show the whole of the components ? You can't change
the contents of a component once it's been released. That's a violation of
the component rules. You can add new components however. You can also change
the contents of the files in the components since that doesn't affect the
component definition.

[...]

SDL PLC confidential, all rights reserved.
If you are not the intended recipient of this mail SDL requests and requires that you delete it without acting upon or copying any of its contents, and we further request that you advise us.
SDL PLC is a public limited company registered in England and Wales.  Registered number: 02675207.
Registered address: Globe House, Clivemont Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire SL6 7DY, UK.

Re: Stuck on error PYRO0243 : Component has a changedkeypath

justin hull
Update:  Digging into the file I discovered/learned some things.
1 - IDs need to match between versions
2 - IDs are case sensitive
3 - Don't go changing the order of files

I got the patch working, but in the end it showed me I need to re-write much of how we do things.  That was a code snippet of a very large file.  I do wish there was a "Fix All" option somewhere when faced with many*10 file differences.  Thank you for the response.

[...]

-
Live Security Virtual Conference
Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware threats.
http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/