BA Functions, OnPlanRelatedBundle

Hoover, Jacob

I have some new requirements for my installer, and I had previously mentioned customizing WixStdBA for handeling related bundles. The feedback was to expose it so that a BAFunction could implement the customization. What is the plan on breaking BAF’s in the 3.10 release?  IE, I think I need to expose a few calls to BAF’s such as OnPlanRelatedBundle.  Adding new methods to IBootstrapperBAFunction it would break existing BAF DLL’s, but I really don’t like having “multiple” IBootstrapperBAFunction interfaces (IBootstrapperBAFunction2…)

Thanks,

Jacob

Re: BA Functions, OnPlanRelatedBundle

Bob Arnson-6
On 26-Nov-14 17:20, Hoover, Jacob wrote:

I have some new requirements for my installer, and I had previously mentioned customizing WixStdBA for handeling related bundles. The feedback was to expose it so that a BAFunction could implement the customization. What is the plan on breaking BAF’s in the 3.10 release?  IE, I think I need to expose a few calls to BAF’s such as OnPlanRelatedBundle.  Adding new methods to IBootstrapperBAFunction it would break existing BAF DLL’s, but I really don’t like having “multiple” IBootstrapperBAFunction interfaces (IBootstrapperBAFunction2…)

Man, we just keep running into this, don't we? What do you think about turning the sample CWixBootstrapperBAFunction into a base class a la CBalBaseBootstrapperApplication? Then we say "use this and you won't have to change your code."

I think BA functions are probably rarely-enough used that we could break the interface. But you'll have to apologize in the commit message. :)
http://joyofsetup.com/

Re: BA Functions, OnPlanRelatedBundle

Neil Sleightholm
As the original author of BA Functions I thought I’d comment. I’d agree with Bob that it is rarely used so having to upgrade wouldn’t be such a big deal. I seem to remember looking at making this a base class originally but IIRC there was a problem with it, wish I could remember what.

I would say that if it is changing then one useful feature would be to pass the burn command line in to the function – may be I should add feature request.

Neil

On 28-Nov-14 04:41, Neil Sleightholm wrote:
As the original author of BA Functions I thought I’d comment. I’d agree with Bob that it is rarely used so having to upgrade wouldn’t be such a big deal. I seem to remember looking at making this a base class originally but IIRC there was a problem with it, wish I could remember what.
Bummer if it's a blocker. Fixing a base class to cover up compatibility cracks is much preferable to versioned interfaces or outright breakage.
http://joyofsetup.com/