Quantcast

Bootstrapper/Chainer Question

Eric Fesh
Ok, so I get the need for bootstrapper/chainers and I'm committed to using that approach. However, I also have a requirement
that the installation be fully silent so that system administrators don't have to click "yes" on every single machine in a large
datacenter. What's a poor installer developer to do? Most bootstrapper/chainers I've seen that I can understand do not have a
silent install option...

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Eric Fesh
Customer Support Engineer/Software Test Engineer
Verari Systems Software, Inc.
110 12th Street North, Suite D103
Birmingham, AL 35203
Phone +1-205-397-3141 ext. 3149
Fax +1-205-397-3142
[hidden email]
http://www.verarisoft.com/

The information contained in this communication may be confidential and is
intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above.  If the reader of
this communication is not the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication, or
any of its contents, is strictly prohibited.  If you are not a named
recipient or received this communication by mistake, please notify the sender
and delete the communication and all copies of it.

Re: Bootstrapper/Chainer Question

Mike Dimmick-2
Bootstrappers normally don't create UI of their own. There should be an
option you can pass to the bootstrapper to pass arguments to msiexec.

The Office 2000 bootstrapper is described at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msi/setup/b
ootstrapping.asp.

Hope this helps.

--
Mike Dimmick

Re: Bootstrapper/Chainer Question

Eric Fesh
Not really, I'm afraid, although I do appreciate the effort. My problem is that I've got multiple dependencies that I need to
make sure are installed, and I'm pretty much stuck doing it the "dumb" way by kicking the installers off as custom actions
during the InstallUISequence. I know that's the wrong thing to do and I want to do it the right way, but I don't seem to have
any alternatives to work with.

I was looking into the Visual Studio 2005 generic bootstrapper, but it does not have a command-line option for silencing the
dialog that it pops up which asks if you want to install the dependencies. Neither does an open-source alternative... And I
don't have time to grok the .NET sample setup.exe code and write a custom bootstrapper based on that. *sigh* I was really hoping
someone knew of an alternative that would allow silent installation (or would at least not ask the user for input)...

--

Mike Dimmick wrote:
> Bootstrappers normally don't create UI of their own. There should be an
> option you can pass to the bootstrapper to pass arguments to msiexec.
>
> The Office 2000 bootstrapper is described at
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msi/setup/b
> ootstrapping.asp.
>
> Hope this helps.

Re: Bootstrapper/Chainer Question

Neil Sleightholm
I know it's old school but you could just chain all the MSI's together
in a batch file launching each with "msiexec".

Neil

Mike Dimmick wrote:
> Bootstrappers normally don't create UI of their own. There should be
an
> option you can pass to the bootstrapper to pass arguments to msiexec.
>
> The Office 2000 bootstrapper is described at

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msi/set
up/b
> ootstrapping.asp.
>
> Hope this helps.

-
your
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDE

Re: Bootstrapper/Chainer Question

Robert MacFadyen
There is the Microsoft Component Installer SDK:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2A5E4EBC-651C-40AA-
9525-1810AF47C317&displaylang=en

It handles:
* Microsoft Windows Installer 2.0
* Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1
* Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.8
* Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 and language packs
* Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
* Microsoft Visual J# runtime and language packs
* Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (x86) and language packs
* Microsoft Visual J# 2.0 runtime and language packs
* Microsoft DirectX 9.0c (December 2005 )
* Microsoft Report Viewer 2005 redistributable and language packs
* Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for the Microsoft Office System
redistributable and language packs
* Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition redistributable

Microsoft Component Installer does not get enough press! It would be handy
if it was open sourced...  but that could be a lot to hope for :)

Combine it with ZipToSecureExe:
http://www.zip-compression.com/zip-self-extractor.asp

And you have a reasonably nice bootstrapper (and quiet if desired).

There's also:
http://www.codeproject.com/managedcpp/DotNetSetup.asp

Never used it... but looks like a starting point.

And also this one (again never used):
http://www.devage.com/dotNetInstaller/dotNetInstaller.html

Regards,

Rob

Mike Dimmick wrote:
> Bootstrappers normally don't create UI of their own. There should be an
> option you can pass to the bootstrapper to pass arguments to msiexec.
>
> The Office 2000 bootstrapper is described at

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msi/setup/b
> ootstrapping.asp.
>
> Hope this helps.

Re: Bootstrapper/Chainer Question

Eric Fesh
The Microsoft Component Installer doesn't allow you to add a custom package to that list though, right? One of my dependencies
is the Postgresql DBMS... Also, I've looked at DotNetSetup before and it wasn't able to do silent installs either. At least not
last time I checked... The author had it on his to-do list.

--

Rob MacFadyen wrote:

> There is the Microsoft Component Installer SDK:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2A5E4EBC-651C-40AA-
> 9525-1810AF47C317&displaylang=en
>
> It handles:
> * Microsoft Windows Installer 2.0
> * Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1
> * Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.8
> * Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 and language packs
> * Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
> * Microsoft Visual J# runtime and language packs
> * Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (x86) and language packs
> * Microsoft Visual J# 2.0 runtime and language packs
> * Microsoft DirectX 9.0c (December 2005 )
> * Microsoft Report Viewer 2005 redistributable and language packs
> * Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for the Microsoft Office System
> redistributable and language packs
> * Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition redistributable
>
> Microsoft Component Installer does not get enough press! It would be handy
> if it was open sourced...  but that could be a lot to hope for :)
>
> Combine it with ZipToSecureExe:
> http://www.zip-compression.com/zip-self-extractor.asp
>
> And you have a reasonably nice bootstrapper (and quiet if desired).
>

> There's also:
> http://www.codeproject.com/managedcpp/DotNetSetup.asp
>
> Never used it... but looks like a starting point.
>
> And also this one (again never used):
> http://www.devage.com/dotNetInstaller/dotNetInstaller.html
>
> Regards,
>
> Rob

Eric,

Well... it does allow for "chaining" into another bootstrapper. So... if you
have a postgress bootstrapper (that also chains) you'd be there.

Regards,

Rob

Rob MacFadyen wrote:

> There is the Microsoft Component Installer SDK:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2A5E4EBC-651C
> -40AA-
> 9525-1810AF47C317&displaylang=en
>
> It handles:
> * Microsoft Windows Installer 2.0
> * Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1
> * Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.8
> * Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 and language packs
> * Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
> * Microsoft Visual J# runtime and language packs
> * Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (x86) and language packs
> * Microsoft Visual J# 2.0 runtime and language packs
> * Microsoft DirectX 9.0c (December 2005 )
> * Microsoft Report Viewer 2005 redistributable and language packs
> * Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for the Microsoft Office System
> redistributable and language packs
> * Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition redistributable
>
> Microsoft Component Installer does not get enough press! It would be
> handy if it was open sourced...  but that could be a lot to hope for
> :)
>
> Combine it with ZipToSecureExe:
> http://www.zip-compression.com/zip-self-extractor.asp
>
> And you have a reasonably nice bootstrapper (and quiet if desired).
>

> There's also:
> http://www.codeproject.com/managedcpp/DotNetSetup.asp
>
> Never used it... but looks like a starting point.
>
> And also this one (again never used):
> http://www.devage.com/dotNetInstaller/dotNetInstaller.html
>
> Regards,
>
> Rob

André Pönitz
Eric Fesh wrote:
> Ok, so I get the need for bootstrapper/chainers and I'm
> committed to using that approach. However, I also have a requirement
> that the installation be fully silent so that system
> administrators don't have to click "yes" on every single
> machine in a large
> datacenter. What's a poor installer developer to do? Most
> bootstrapper/chainers I've seen that I can understand do not have a
> silent install option...

> Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

We have a 'multisetup.exe' that reads data (command lines basically)
from a kind of queue in a well-known registry location. Installers
with dependencies are supposed to add commands to install the
dependent packages to the queue. At that point, some 'silencing'
command line switch can be added (if needed and if available for
that particular package).

There is also the nice side effect that this scheme allows chained
uninstalls and full or user-guided partial rollbacks as well.
I understand, however, that it took a while to implement (this was
before I started to work here...)

Andre'