Quantcast

Bundle fails on WIN2K machine ".exe is not a valid Win32 application"

12

Bundle fails on WIN2K machine ".exe is not a valid Win32 application"

rdinglebham
Is the WiX Standard Bootstrapper Application compatible with Windows 2000? My individual MSI packages all work fine but all my bundles fail immediately even if I save them to a local folder: "[bundleName].exe  is not a valid Win32 application".

Target Machine:
Win2K Pro SP4 w/KB891861 'roll up'
MSIEXEC.EXE v3.1.4000.1823

Build Machine:
WiX 3.6.2823
 VS 2010

Rich Dingle

Accelitec, Inc.
2211 Rimland Drive, Suite 230
Bellingham, WA 98226
Rich Dingle
Accelitec, Inc.

Re: Bundle fails on WIN2K machine ".exe is not a valid Win32 application"

robmen
No. Windows 2000 is not supported by the VS 2010 CRT. Windows XP (I think
SP1+).

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 2:34 PM, Rich Dingle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is the WiX Standard Bootstrapper Application compatible with Windows 2000?
> My individual MSI packages all work fine but all my bundles fail
> immediately even if I save them to a local folder: "[bundleName].exe  is
> not a valid Win32 application".
>
> Target Machine:
> Win2K Pro SP4 w/KB891861 'roll up'
> MSIEXEC.EXE v3.1.4000.1823
>
> Build Machine:
> WiX 3.6.2823
>  VS 2010
>

> Rich Dingle
>
> Accelitec, Inc.
> 2211 Rimland Drive, Suite 230
> Bellingham, WA 98226

virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC

Re: Bundle fails on WIN2K machine ".exe is not a valid Win32 application"

Alexander Lamaison
That's just stopped me in my tracks.  I've been converting our
dotnetinstaller bootstrapper to use Burn but had no idea that would
kill our Win2k support.   Seriously not good.

Is there a way round this?  Can I easily compile the bootstrapper
application myself with VS 2005?

Thanks,

Alex

On 28 April 2012 05:05, Rob Mensching <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No. Windows 2000 is not supported by the VS 2010 CRT. Windows XP (I think
> SP1+).
>
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 2:34 PM, Rich Dingle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Is the WiX Standard Bootstrapper Application compatible with Windows 2000?
>> My individual MSI packages all work fine but all my bundles fail
>> immediately even if I save them to a local folder: "[bundleName].exe  is
>> not a valid Win32 application".
>>
>> Target Machine:
>> Win2K Pro SP4 w/KB891861 'roll up'
>> MSIEXEC.EXE v3.1.4000.1823
>>
>> Build Machine:
>> WiX 3.6.2823
>>  VS 2010
>>

>> Rich Dingle
>>
>> Accelitec, Inc.
>> 2211 Rimland Drive, Suite 230
>> Bellingham, WA 98226

> virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC

Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)

Re: Bundle fails on WIN2K machine ".exe is not a valid Win32 application"

Neil Sleightholm
For reference: Visual Studio 2010 - "The C run-time libraries support Windows XP with SP2, Windows XP with SP3, Windows Server 2003 with SP1, Windows Server 2003 with SP2, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, and Windows 7."

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ws0swas0.aspx

Neil

No. Windows 2000 is not supported by the VS 2010 CRT. Windows XP (I think
SP1+).

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 2:34 PM, Rich Dingle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is the WiX Standard Bootstrapper Application compatible with Windows 2000?
> My individual MSI packages all work fine but all my bundles fail
> immediately even if I save them to a local folder: "[bundleName].exe
> is not a valid Win32 application".
>
> Target Machine:
> Win2K Pro SP4 w/KB891861 'roll up'
> MSIEXEC.EXE v3.1.4000.1823
>
> Build Machine:
> WiX 3.6.2823
>  VS 2010
>

> Rich Dingle
>
> Accelitec, Inc.
> 2211 Rimland Drive, Suite 230
> Bellingham, WA 98226

> --------
> Live Security Virtual Conference
> threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond.
> Discussions will include endpoint security, mobile security and the
> latest in malware threats.
> http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/

virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC
Live Security Virtual Conference
Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware threats. http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/

On 28-Apr-12 08:08, Alexander Lamaison wrote:
> Is there a way round this?  Can I easily compile the bootstrapper
> application myself with VS 2005?
You'd have to do the same thing to all of Burn too.

http://joyofsetup.com/

On 28 April 2012 21:18, Bob Arnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 28-Apr-12 08:08, Alexander Lamaison wrote:
>> Is there a way round this?  Can I easily compile the bootstrapper
>> application myself with VS 2005?
> You'd have to do the same thing to all of Burn too.

Is this feasible?  I once tried to build WiX and vowed never ever ever
again.  Can Burn be built independently of the rest of WiX?

--
Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)

Re: Bundle fails on WIN2K machine ".exe is not a valid Win32 application"

rdinglebham
It sounds like my best option is to simply compile my installers using VS 2008. Is there any reason not to take that approach?

Rich

Rich Dingle
Accelitec, Inc.

Re: Bundle fails on WIN2K machine ".exe is not a valid Win32 application"

robmen
If you vowed never to build WiX again, then it probably is not feasible.
Burn is in wix\src\burn (burn.build) and as Bob noted if you want wixstdba
then you'll need to build wix\src\ext\BalExtension\wixsdtba.

Both are in WiX so that will require breaking your vow. <smile/>
On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 2:01 PM, Alexander Lamaison <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On 28 April 2012 21:18, Bob Arnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 28-Apr-12 08:08, Alexander Lamaison wrote:
> >> Is there a way round this?  Can I easily compile the bootstrapper
> >> application myself with VS 2005?
> > You'd have to do the same thing to all of Burn too.
>
> Is this feasible?  I once tried to build WiX and vowed never ever ever
> again.  Can Burn be built independently of the rest of WiX?
>
> --
> Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)

virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC

Re: Bundle fails on WIN2K machine ".exe is not a valid Win32 application"

robmen
NOTE: Win2k was out of support before WiX v3.6 even started development. We
obviously don't test the code there so I really have no idea how much work
it will be to make any of the native code built by WiX (Burn, and
CustomActions mainly) working on Win2k.

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 12:04 AM, Rob Mensching <[hidden email]>wrote:

> If you vowed never to build WiX again, then it probably is not feasible.
> Burn is in wix\src\burn (burn.build) and as Bob noted if you want wixstdba
> then you'll need to build wix\src\ext\BalExtension\wixsdtba.
>
> Both are in WiX so that will require breaking your vow. <smile/>
> On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 2:01 PM, Alexander Lamaison <[hidden email]>wrote:

>> > You'd have to do the same thing to all of Burn too.
>>
>> Is this feasible?  I once tried to build WiX and vowed never ever ever
>> again.  Can Burn be built independently of the rest of WiX?
>>
>> --
>> Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)

> virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC

--
virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC

Re: Bundle fails on WIN2K machine ".exe is not a valid Win32 application"

Alexander Lamaison
'Out of support' is just a marketing term.  It doesn't mean it
magically stops working.  People forget that often.

Alex

On 29 April 2012 08:06, Rob Mensching <[hidden email]> wrote:

> NOTE: Win2k was out of support before WiX v3.6 even started development. We
> obviously don't test the code there so I really have no idea how much work
> it will be to make any of the native code built by WiX (Burn, and
> CustomActions mainly) working on Win2k.
>
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 12:04 AM, Rob Mensching <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> If you vowed never to build WiX again, then it probably is not feasible.
>> Burn is in wix\src\burn (burn.build) and as Bob noted if you want wixstdba
>> then you'll need to build wix\src\ext\BalExtension\wixsdtba.
>>
>> Both are in WiX so that will require breaking your vow. <smile/>

>>> Is this feasible?  I once tried to build WiX and vowed never ever ever
>>> again.  Can Burn be built independently of the rest of WiX?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)

>> --
>> virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC
>>

> --
> virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC

Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)

Re: Bundle fails on WIN2K machine ".exe is not a valid Win32 application"

robmen
No, we don't forget that. However, at some point you have to trim your tail
or you end up with an enormous support burden that prevents you from moving
forward.

One of the big questions for us in WiX v3.7 is how many versions of VS
should we support? It is expensive to keep VS2005 and VS2008 working
because they use the inferior MSBuild 2.0 and MSBuild 3.5. Cutting VS2005
and VS2008 cuts a big chunk of our tail and would allow us to do more stuff.

In WiX v4.0 I'm pretty sure we support only VS2010 and VS11 (whatever they
end up calling that).  In WiX v4.0 the big question is do we support
Windows XP?  VC just dropped support for in in VS11.  I hesitate to cut
Windows XP support because it is still very popular... but it too is going
out of support very soon.

These are never easy decisions.

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 3:42 AM, Alexander Lamaison <[hidden email]>wrote:

> 'Out of support' is just a marketing term.  It doesn't mean it
> magically stops working.  People forget that often.
>
> Alex
>
> On 29 April 2012 08:06, Rob Mensching <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > NOTE: Win2k was out of support before WiX v3.6 even started development.
> We
> > obviously don't test the code there so I really have no idea how much
> work
> > it will be to make any of the native code built by WiX (Burn, and
> > CustomActions mainly) working on Win2k.
> >
> > On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 12:04 AM, Rob Mensching <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
> >
> >> If you vowed never to build WiX again, then it probably is not feasible.
> >> Burn is in wix\src\burn (burn.build) and as Bob noted if you want
> wixstdba
> >> then you'll need to build wix\src\ext\BalExtension\wixsdtba.
> >>
> >> Both are in WiX so that will require breaking your vow. <smile/>

> Discussions
> malware
> >>>

> >> --
> >> virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC
> >>

> > --
> > virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC

> Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)

virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC

Re: Bundle fails on WIN2K machine ".exe is not a valid Win32 application"

Alexander Lamaison
Is that not the wrong question?  Rather than getting caught up in the
ins and outs of which version to support, why not adopt methods that
remove the decision entirely?

Have you considered using CMake, for example, which generates build
files for a vast range of build platforms (including VS 6 - 11)?
Basically, you outsource the burden of supporting the long tail to
CMake.

If a *project* limits itself to a certain platform, then so be it.
But its build tools certainly shouldn't.  WiX has the double problem
of being, itself, a build tool so should neither be limited to a
certain platform by its own build tools nor limit projects that use
it.

Alex

On 29 April 2012 18:24, Rob Mensching <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No, we don't forget that. However, at some point you have to trim your tail
> or you end up with an enormous support burden that prevents you from moving
> forward.
>
> One of the big questions for us in WiX v3.7 is how many versions of VS
> should we support? It is expensive to keep VS2005 and VS2008 working
> because they use the inferior MSBuild 2.0 and MSBuild 3.5. Cutting VS2005
> and VS2008 cuts a big chunk of our tail and would allow us to do more stuff.
>
> In WiX v4.0 I'm pretty sure we support only VS2010 and VS11 (whatever they
> end up calling that).  In WiX v4.0 the big question is do we support
> Windows XP?  VC just dropped support for in in VS11.  I hesitate to cut
> Windows XP support because it is still very popular... but it too is going
> out of support very soon.
>
> These are never easy decisions.
>
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 3:42 AM, Alexander Lamaison <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> 'Out of support' is just a marketing term.  It doesn't mean it
>> magically stops working.  People forget that often.
>>
>> Alex
>>
>> On 29 April 2012 08:06, Rob Mensching <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > NOTE: Win2k was out of support before WiX v3.6 even started development.
>> We
>> > obviously don't test the code there so I really have no idea how much
>> work
>> > it will be to make any of the native code built by WiX (Burn, and
>> > CustomActions mainly) working on Win2k.

>> wixstdba

>> Discussions
>> malware

>> > --
>> > virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC

>> --
>> Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)

> virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC

Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)

Re: Bundle fails on WIN2K machine ".exe is not a valid Win32 application"

robmen
I fundamentally agree with you. However, building the code for a particular
platform is the easiest part of the problem. Keeping the code working
(since the platforms differ in subtle ways) is the real challenge.

Personally, supporting unsupported platforms is very low on my priority
list. I have enough trouble keeping WinXP support working (aka: tested).
That platform is still supported and *very* popular.

If you want to sign up to contribute the fixes and maintain WiX toolset
working on Win2k then I'd love to see the changesets. However, to be
completely transparent I'm not really excited about delaying the release of
WiX v3.6 for an unsupported platform. There are too many people already
looking forward to WiX v3.6 being done now. Thus if Win2k requries radical
redesign that's something we'd need to look at for next release.

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Alexander Lamaison <[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
> >> malware

> Discussions
> malware
> >>

> >> --
> >> Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)

> >> Live Security Virtual Conference
> >> Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and
> >> threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond.
> Discussions
> >> will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in
> malware
> >> threats. http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/
> >>

> > --
> > virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC

> Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)

virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC

Re: Bundle fails on WIN2K machine ".exe is not a valid Win32 application"

I agree with dropping support for Win2k but what is a shame is that running the exe doesn't display a more useful error message. I don't suppose there is anything that can be done to change this?

Neil

Re: Bundle fails on WIN2K machine ".exe is not a valid Win32 application"

rdinglebham
All,

Thanks for clearing that up. In the end not having a WIN2K bundle isn't that big a deal; the .MSI's run flawlessly and that's what counts. So a quick note of appreciation:

We've been using WiX for almost three years to deploy/update client API adapters that connect 3rd party POS systems (mainly in grocery) to our Cloud based services. The power and flexibility of the WiX tool set has proved to be a critical component to scaling our solution - deploying thousands of client adapters. In our B2B world it's our ability to integrate with a customer's existing platform that has proved a game changer. As an example, one of MSI packages, using C# Custom Actions, reads the 3rd party values in the registry and .ini files then selects the correct API.DLL to install (currently eight different versions), suppresses UI dialogue if it's self-checkout unit, updates our .NET app config files, and manages the GAC entries, etc. If the customer installs a POS patch then a simple Repair updates the API DLL. One click of script to run the WiX MSI  in quiet mode replaces an 10 page/10 minute manual install procedure - InstallSheild package plus system configuration changes.

Cheers!

Rich
Rich Dingle
Accelitec, Inc.

Re: Bundle fails on WIN2K machine ".exe is not a valid Win32 application"

James Johnston
http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=11&qp
customb=0&qptimeframe=M&qpsp=149&qpnp=11
^-- Source of my data in this message...

That is something that has been bugging me too while reading this
discussion.  So my random thoughts on this topic of OS compatibility...

The cryptic error originally reported by OP isn't good.  We only support
Windows XP SP3+ as well, but if the user double-clicks the bootstrapper /
self-extracting EXE, they need to get a messaging saying they need XP - not
some cryptic error that might turn a user away from our application.
Unfortunately, with the way Visual C++ has been dumping support for older
versions of Windows, it looks like we would need to retain an older Visual
C++ compiler (or find a competing compiler) for the sole purpose of making
our own custom bootstrapper that shows a reasonable error.  What a pain!
Would be nice if WiX prevented this piece of overhead...

>From that link, I would guess that Windows 2000 usage must be close to zero
(lumped into the 2.51% "Other" category).  I'm less worried about that.  But
there's still significant XP usage, and dumping support for pre-SP2 versions
of XP is disturbing.  How can the bootstrapper request the user to install
SP3 if the bootstrapper itself requires SP2/SP3?

>From what I have read, the situation gets much worse with VS11 since it
drops XP support completely.  This is a problem, because apparently XP still
has 46% of the market.  I know many of our customers still use it.  We can't
drop support for it.  VS11 is out of touch with reality in this respect.  If
bootstrappers and/or custom actions start requiring Vista+, we'd have to
avoid the newer versions of WiX.  We'll also have to avoid VS11 ourselves
for the time being.  The improvements in VS11 might not justify dropping
support for a lot of our customers, if it turns out not to be realistic to
ask them to upgrade.  And the concerns I already outlined about
bootstrappers not failing gracefully apply doubly-so here - even if XP drops
to, say, 10% of the market and we decide to drop support, there's still
enough out there that we need the bootstrapper to kindly request Vista+.

It would be nice if XP suffered a precipitous drop in market share this
year, but I doubt it.  Hopefully it will go away soon.  I suspect it will
still be common for another 2 years until companies are forced to move away
from it when MS finally kills support (or suffer the security liability from
an unpatched/unsupported OS).  Some people/companies tend to avoid change
until their lack of planning forces them into it - and maybe MS dropping
support will push them over the edge to get Win7/8.  By then, VS12 would be
coming down the pipeline, and companies like us would still be stuck on
VS2010 or older due to XP compatibility concerns if we decide not to drop
support for XP just yet.  (XP is the energizer bunny or something... it
keeps going and going.  I can't remember another consumer OS version that
has had such a long life cycle!)

James

I remain confused how this problem has arisen in the first place.  WiX
was (obviously) being compiled with versions of VS that support Win2K,
Win XP.  So what's changed?

Windows XP hasn't changed under our feet.  So that leaves WiX.  What
features of the newer versions of Windows and/or VS are so
indispensable that they force WiX to be platform-dependent?

Alex

P.S.  I'm happy to help restore backward comaptibility to the C++
parts of WiX but I would need someone else to do the same for the .net
code;  that's not my speciality.

On 2 May 2012 18:50, James Johnston <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> It would be nice if XP suffered a precipitous drop in market share this
> year, but I doubt it.  Hopefully it will go away soon.  I suspect it will
> still be common for another 2 years until companies are forced to move away
> from it when MS finally kills support (or suffer the security liability from
> an unpatched/unsupported OS).  Some people/companies tend to avoid change
> until their lack of planning forces them into it - and maybe MS dropping
> support will push them over the edge to get Win7/8.  By then, VS12 would be
> coming down the pipeline, and companies like us would still be stuck on
> VS2010 or older due to XP compatibility concerns if we decide not to drop
> support for XP just yet.  (XP is the energizer bunny or something... it
> keeps going and going.  I can't remember another consumer OS version that

The problem surfaced when I started bundling my MSI packages in order to take advantage of bootstrapping the perquisites like .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, C++ run time libraries. We've been careful to build all of our client adapters in .NET 2.0/VS2008 since WIN2K is still widely used in the retail world - we have a number of customers that have a mix of XPE and WIN2K in a single store... So my WiX 3.6 MSI packages work just fine; it's the WiX 3.6 burn binaries that are embedded into the .EXE that are incapable with WIN2K.  At this point I'm just copying both the bundle EXE and the MSI to my customer dropboxes. I'm just glad that I wrote all my custom actions in C# and not C++!

Rich
Rich Dingle
Accelitec, Inc.

Re: Bundle fails on WIN2K machine ".exe is not a valid Win32 application"

James Johnston
You might find the bootstrapper in Visual Studio 2008 to be useful.  We're
using it to deal with the .NET Framework 2.0 prerequisite, and it works fine
even on Win XP RTM (untested on Win2K).  (.NET 2.0 is the minimum we require
because Vista RTM includes .NET 2.0, so prerequisite install is only needed
for XP customers.)  The bootstrapper can automatically download the
framework from Microsoft and install it.  After seeing how few Vista
customers there are though, I don't really see a good reason to prefer it
over .NET Framework 3.5, which I guess comes with Windows 7.  As I recall,
the big gripe I had with .NET 3.5 was that it was extremely bloated, making
the ~20 MB .NET 2.0 install look like nothing.

For the Visual C++ 2008 runtimes, we just use the merge modules.

If you have other prereqs, you can add them.  If your requirements are much
more complex though, I would imagine you'd be better off with something like
Burn.

As a customer who gets my credit card information swiped at the store, I
would hope that the Win2K machines aren't Internet-facing at all.  No
security patches I would imagine these days...

To pass a security review at Microsoft, the VS2010 CRT must be used. The
VS2010 CRT has the latest security defenses built in. Unfortunately, the
VS2010 CRT does not run on Win2K.  The bad error message actually happens
in the VS2010 CRT. Our code in Burn doesn't even have the opportunity to
load.

I expect the custom actions in the WiX toolset have similar issues to Burn.

The root issue is that the VC++ team made the decision to cut backwards
compatibility to only supported Windows OS's.

Next version will be even more interesting since last I checked VS11 CRT
only supports Win7+ (which I believe cuts support for WinXP SP3 and
Vista before they are out of service).