Quantcast

Burn - Force MSI to hide UI based on condition

Burn - Force MSI to hide UI based on condition

juergenp

we use a bootstrapper setup to install Visual Studio Runtime and a couple of own MSIs.
All of them contain UI (at least the features selection), so we have to use the DisplayInternalUI="yes" attribut for all our MSI packages.

But because most of the users will just click the Next and Finish buttons without changing anything, we've inserted a checkbox "silent installation" into the Install page.
But now it seems to get harder than expected:

- We tried to set the command line parameter /quiet, but it seems not to be possible to use the MsiProperty element for this.

- Because the difference between DisplayInternalUI="yes" and "no" seems to be another value for the property CLIENTUILEVEL passed, we tried to specify an own value using a MsiProperty element. But the resulting command line first contains our value, then the value given by Burn; and the last value wins.
Another problem here is the need for MsiProperty values based on conditions, which seems not to be possible.

- We tried to pass an own custom property ISSILENT="1" or "0", directly depending on the value of the checkbox, and, depending on it's value, set one of the properties CLIENTUILEVEL, UILevel, or LIMITUI, internally within the MSI. But we found no way to do this in an early stage before installation begins. If we schedule the custom action to set the property to the beginning of the InstallUISequence, it's already too late to change behaviour.

Are there any solutions for this? We are using the latest version 3.10.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Burn - Force MSI to hide UI based on condition

sreelakshmi
Hi juergenp,

Are you able to come up with a solution . I am also facing the same issue.

Thanks