Burn: Reboot behavior for Net. Framework 4.0

Burn: Reboot behavior for Net. Framework 4.0

Tobias S
Hi,

Following implementation in burn:

<Chain DisableRollback='yes'>

<PackageGroupRef Id='Netfx4Full' />
<PackageGroupRef Id='SQLCE35_SP2_X86' />
<PackageGroupRef Id='SQLCE35_SP2_X64' />
<PackageGroupRef Id='VC2010SP1REDIST_X86' />
</Chain>

All packages are just installing the things which could be guessed
from the ID :-)

For installing netFX 4.0 I use
 <ExePackage Id="Netfx4Full" Cache="no" Compressed="yes"
PerMachine="yes" Permanent="yes" Vital="yes"
SourceFile="dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe"
                  DetectCondition="Netfx4FullVersion AND (NOT
VersionNT64 OR Netfx4x64FullVersion)"
                  InstallCommand="/passive" />

When I don't want to reboot I use InstallCommand="/passive /norestart"
 to suppress reboots.

But the point is when using InstallCommand="/passive" I like to have a
pompt before rebooting and not just do it without asking. Did I miss
any ability to configure some sort of return code handling for such a
case?  If I don't reboot the following packages have trouble.

Thanks and best regards,
Tobias

Re: Burn: Reboot behavior for Net. Framework 4.0

robmen
I think the netfx install returns an error code indicating it requires a
reboot and Burn will get that and say a reboot is required.

virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC

Re: Burn: Reboot behavior for Net. Framework 4.0

Tobias S
Yes the netfx error code returning and Burn handling to reboot is
correct. My point is that the reboot is forced and the user has no
ability to interrupt it.

2011/8/12 Rob Mensching <[hidden email]>:

> I think the netfx install returns an error code indicating it requires a
> reboot and Burn will get that and say a reboot is required.
>
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 6:33 AM, Tobias S <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Following implementation in burn:
>>
>> <Chain DisableRollback='yes'>
>>
>> <PackageGroupRef Id='Netfx4Full' />
>> <PackageGroupRef Id='SQLCE35_SP2_X86' />
>> <PackageGroupRef Id='SQLCE35_SP2_X64' />
>> <PackageGroupRef Id='VC2010SP1REDIST_X86' />
>> </Chain>
>>
>> All packages are just installing the things which could be guessed
>> from the ID :-)
>>
>> For installing netFX 4.0 I use
>>  <ExePackage Id="Netfx4Full" Cache="no" Compressed="yes"
>> PerMachine="yes" Permanent="yes" Vital="yes"
>> SourceFile="dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe"
>>                  DetectCondition="Netfx4FullVersion AND (NOT
>> VersionNT64 OR Netfx4x64FullVersion)"
>>                  InstallCommand="/passive" />
>>
>> When I don't want to reboot I use InstallCommand="/passive /norestart"
>>  to suppress reboots.
>>
>> But the point is when using InstallCommand="/passive" I like to have a
>> pompt before rebooting and not just do it without asking. Did I miss
>> any ability to configure some sort of return code handling for such a
>> case?  If I don't reboot the following packages have trouble.
>>

>> Thanks and best regards,
>> Tobias

> virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC

Re: Burn: Reboot behavior for Net. Framework 4.0

robmen
Isn't Burn stopping the intsall immediately and saying a reboot is required
to continue the install? It should be.

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 12:33 AM, Tobias S <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes the netfx error code returning and Burn handling to reboot is
> correct. My point is that the reboot is forced and the user has no
> ability to interrupt it.
>

> 2011/8/12 Rob Mensching <[hidden email]>:
> > I think the netfx install returns an error code indicating it requires a
> > reboot and Burn will get that and say a reboot is required.
> >
> > On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 6:33 AM, Tobias S <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Following implementation in burn:
> >>
> >> <Chain DisableRollback='yes'>
> >>
> >> <PackageGroupRef Id='Netfx4Full' />
> >> <PackageGroupRef Id='SQLCE35_SP2_X86' />
> >> <PackageGroupRef Id='SQLCE35_SP2_X64' />
> >> <PackageGroupRef Id='VC2010SP1REDIST_X86' />
> >> </Chain>
> >>
> >> All packages are just installing the things which could be guessed
> >> from the ID :-)
> >>
> >> For installing netFX 4.0 I use
> >>  <ExePackage Id="Netfx4Full" Cache="no" Compressed="yes"
> >> PerMachine="yes" Permanent="yes" Vital="yes"
> >> SourceFile="dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe"
> >>                  DetectCondition="Netfx4FullVersion AND (NOT
> >> VersionNT64 OR Netfx4x64FullVersion)"
> >>                  InstallCommand="/passive" />
> >>
> >> When I don't want to reboot I use InstallCommand="/passive /norestart"
> >>  to suppress reboots.
> >>
> >> But the point is when using InstallCommand="/passive" I like to have a
> >> pompt before rebooting and not just do it without asking. Did I miss
> >> any ability to configure some sort of return code handling for such a
> >> case?  If I don't reboot the following packages have trouble.
> >>

> >> Thanks and best regards,
> >> Tobias

> > --
> > virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC

virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC

Re: Burn: Reboot behavior for Net. Framework 4.0

Tobias S
Re-Checked it. This special preInstaller in WiX installation for netFX
runs as you described. NetFX runs UI in full mode and when declining
reboot prompt from netFX a second Reboot prompt (from WiX) follows:
"The requested operation is successful. Changes will not be effective
until the system is rebooted". There pressing [Ok] leads to a reboot.

For my installer I got it working by including the WiX Installer UI
    <BootstrapperApplicationRef Id='ManagedBootstrapperApplicationHost'>
      <Payload Name='BootstrapperCore.config'
SourceFile='BootstrapperCore.config' />
      <Payload SourceFile='WixUX.dll' />
      <Payload SourceFile='LicenseAgreement.rtf' />
    </BootstrapperApplicationRef>

and when netFX Framework is the first element in the chain. But not
for my own implementation with
<BootstrapperApplicationRef
Id="WixStandardBootstrapperApplication.RtfLicense" />. How can I
implement this special netFX installer before the proper
WixStandardBootstrapperApplication ?

BTW: will the THMutil files be customizable by own ones without need
to customize the whole bootstrapper application ?

Thanks and regards
Tobias

Abd

Re: Burn: Reboot behavior for Net. Framework 4.0

Abd
Hello Rob,

Is it possible to change the Reboot text?

i want to show custom text on burn reboot message box.