Burn does not show close application warning during uninstall

Burn does not show close application warning during uninstall

Tobias Erichsen-2
Hi everyone,

I got a small problem during uninstall of my application.

If I install/uninstall just with an MSI on W7 for example, I get the
dialog that some applications must be closed before continuing install.

When I use that MSI within my burn-bootstrapper, this dialog does not
appear.

Do I need to specify "DisplayInternalUI" to be able to see this
dialog?  My MSI does not have any UI otherwise...

Best regards,
Tobias

PS.: All done with Wix 3.8

Re: Burn does not show close application warning during uninstall

Hoover, Jacob
Are you using WixStdBA or your own BA?  I think it was in 3.8 where those messages were now being seen and interpreted by the engine, but I cannot remember if there were any callbacks to the UI.  Even if there were, I don't remember WixStdBA having a dialog available to prompt the user.

Looking at my current fork I see:

    virtual STDMETHODIMP_(int) OnExecuteFilesInUse(
        __in_z LPCWSTR /*wzPackageId*/,
        __in DWORD /*cFiles*/,
        __in_ecount_z(cFiles) LPCWSTR* /*rgwzFiles*/
        )
    {
        return CheckCanceled() ? IDCANCEL : IDNOACTION;
    }

Inside of the BalBaseBootstrapperApplication and:

    // OnExecuteFilesInUse - called when the engine encounters files in use while
    //                       executing a package.
    //
    // Return:
    //  IDOK instructs the engine to let the Restart Manager attempt to close the
    //       applications to avoid a restart.
    //
    //  IDCANCEL instructs the engine to abort the execution and start rollback.
    //
    //  IDIGNORE instructs the engine to ignore the running applications. A restart will be
    //           required.
    //
    //  IDRETRY instructs the engine to check if the applications are still running again.
    //
    //  IDNOACTION is equivalent to ignoring the running applications. A restart will be
    //             required.
    STDMETHOD_(int, OnExecuteFilesInUse)(
        __in_z LPCWSTR wzPackageId,
        __in DWORD cFiles,
        __in_ecount_z(cFiles) LPCWSTR* rgwzFiles
        ) = 0;

On the interface.  I don't see any WixStdBA implementation so the default would be IDNOACTION (equivalent to ignoring the running applications. A restart will be required.)

Re: Burn does not show close application warning during uninstall

Tobias Erichsen-2
Hi Jacob,

> Are you using WixStdBA or your own BA?  I think it was in 3.8 where those messages were
> now being seen and interpreted by the engine, but I cannot remember if there were any
> callbacks to the UI.  Even if there were, I don't remember WixStdBA having a dialog
> available to prompt the user.
> I don't see any WixStdBA implementation so the default would be IDNOACTION
> (equivalent to ignoring the running applications. A restart will be required.)

I'm using the WixStdBA as this is (mostly) sufficient for my needs.  Unfortunately
this seems to be a rather large drawback.

I would suppose that many people that do not have the need for special stuff in the
GUI will be using the WixStdBA, so they would run into this issue...

To Rob & Bob:  any objections on creating a bug-request for this?  If not, I would
be doing so...

Tobias

Re: Burn does not show close application warning during uninstall

Rob Mensching-7
I'd be a bit surprised if there isn't already a feature request tracking the issue.

> Are you using WixStdBA or your own BA?  I think it was in 3.8 where
> those messages were now being seen and interpreted by the engine, but
> I cannot remember if there were any callbacks to the UI.  Even if
> there were, I don't remember WixStdBA having a dialog available to prompt the user.
> I don't see any WixStdBA implementation so the default would be
> IDNOACTION (equivalent to ignoring the running applications. A restart
> will be required.)

I'm using the WixStdBA as this is (mostly) sufficient for my needs.  Unfortunately this seems to be a rather large drawback.

I would suppose that many people that do not have the need for special stuff in the GUI will be using the WixStdBA, so they would run into this issue...

To Rob & Bob:  any objections on creating a bug-request for this?  If not, I would be doing so...

Tobias

Re: Burn does not show close application warning during uninstall

Rob Mensching-7
Searching is supported, the text box is just missing. It'll show up eventually.

 FireGiant  |  Dedicated support for the WiX toolset  |  http://www.firegiant.com/

Re: Burn does not show close application warning during uninstall

Tobias Erichsen-2
> Searching is supported, the text box is just missing. It'll show up eventually.

Ah - that would be great ;-)

Re: Burn does not show close application warning during uninstall

Georg von Kries
I too thought I saw a feature request for "files in use" in WixStdBa but I
cannot find it anymore. Maybe it was on the mailing list only.

I am willing to contribute this feature for the WixStdBa. I've implemented
this for our own projects, but it needs some cleanup and adjustments for the
latest Wix version. I'm little busy lately, but let me know if you guys are
interested.

Regards,
Georg

I'd be a bit surprised if there isn't already a feature request tracking the
issue.

> Are you using WixStdBA or your own BA?  I think it was in 3.8 where
> those messages were now being seen and interpreted by the engine, but
> I cannot remember if there were any callbacks to the UI.  Even if
> there were, I don't remember WixStdBA having a dialog available to prompt
the user.
> I don't see any WixStdBA implementation so the default would be
> IDNOACTION (equivalent to ignoring the running applications. A restart
> will be required.)

I'm using the WixStdBA as this is (mostly) sufficient for my needs.
Unfortunately this seems to be a rather large drawback.

I would suppose that many people that do not have the need for special stuff
in the GUI will be using the WixStdBA, so they would run into this issue...

To Rob & Bob:  any objections on creating a bug-request for this?  If not, I
would be doing so...

Tobias

Re: Burn does not show close application warning during uninstall

Rob Mensching-7
Always interested in more contributors. Jump over to wix-devs mailing list to discuss how to get started.

 FireGiant  |  Dedicated support for the WiX toolset  |  http://www.firegiant.com/

I'd be a bit surprised if there isn't already a feature request tracking the issue.

> Are you using WixStdBA or your own BA?  I think it was in 3.8 where
> those messages were now being seen and interpreted by the engine, but
> I cannot remember if there were any callbacks to the UI.  Even if
> there were, I don't remember WixStdBA having a dialog available to
> prompt
the user.
> I don't see any WixStdBA implementation so the default would be
> IDNOACTION (equivalent to ignoring the running applications. A restart
> will be required.)

I'm using the WixStdBA as this is (mostly) sufficient for my needs.
Unfortunately this seems to be a rather large drawback.

I would suppose that many people that do not have the need for special stuff in the GUI will be using the WixStdBA, so they would run into this issue...

To Rob & Bob:  any objections on creating a bug-request for this?  If not, I would be doing so...

Tobias

I got a small problem during uninstall of my application.

If I install/uninstall just with an MSI on W7 for example, I get the dialog that some applications must be closed before continuing install.

When I use that MSI within my burn-bootstrapper, this dialog does not appear.

Do I need to specify "DisplayInternalUI" to be able to see this dialog?  My MSI does not have any UI otherwise...

Best regards,
Tobias

PS.: All done with Wix 3.8

Learn Graph Databases - Download FREE O'Reilly Book "Graph Databases" is the definitive new guide to graph databases and their applications. Written by three acclaimed leaders in the field, this first edition is now available. Download your free book today!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/13534_NeoTech

Re: Burn does not show close application warning during uninstall

roberthyang
Hi all -- dumb question here.  I've noticed that util:CloseApplication works within an MSI, but when that MSI is used within a bundle, we are simply prompted to reboot instead of the nice prompt.

Is there a cheap & dirty way to get the MSI-only behavior in the bundle without writing our own bootstrapper application ?  We're using the stdba and Wix 3.9r2 right now.  We're targeting Windows 7 only and a custom action isn't out of the question, but am curious to know if someone has already solved this problem before I start coding (smile).

Thanks !
-Rob

Tobias Erichsen-2 wrote
Hi Jacob,

PS.: All done with Wix 3.8

Re: Burn does not show close application warning during uninstall

Rob Mensching-7
I guess I'd expect if the util:CloseApplication is sending an ::MsiProcessMessage() that wixstdba would show it. Would need to look closely at the code.

Phill Hogland
I use a bundle to drive my msi packages.  Generally I use util:RestartResource but some time ago I used util:CloseApplication.  I do not recall observing the scenario that you described, however I do know that the underlying API used in either case, util:RestartResource or util:CloseApplication, depends on the ability to send a Widows Message from one application context to another.  IF the targeted application is running in a different user context then there can be issues with passing any Windows Message from one Winstation/Desktop to another.  (With regard to this issue related to util:RestartResource there is more info here.)

Re: Burn does not show close application warning during uninstall

roberthyang
The fact that it works when used from the MSI instead of the bootstrapper means that "application contexts" are not the problem.  In the meantime I found a conversation on wix-devs which implies that this won't be implemented any time soon.  Fine.

What I ended up doing for now is writing a bafunctions.dll which uses ProcFindAllIdsFromExeName to set a burn variable which enables a warning message within a custom theme.  That way we at least get a warning when the user tries to uninstall while the application is running.  All that is missing is the option to close the application, but I think we can live without that for now.

Cheers !

Phill Hogland wrote
I use a bundle to drive my msi packages.  Generally I use util:RestartResource but some time ago I used util:CloseApplication.  I do not recall observing the scenario that you described, however I do know that the underlying API used in either case, util:RestartResource or util:CloseApplication, depends on the ability to send a Widows Message from one application context to another.  IF the targeted application is running in a different user context then there can be issues with passing any Windows Message from one Winstation/Desktop to another.  (With regard to this issue related to util:RestartResource there is more info here.)

Re: Burn does not show close application warning during uninstall

Sergey Yukhno
this issue?
http://wixtoolset.org/issues/4382/

On 3/12/2014 12:53 AM, Georg von Kries wrote:

> I too thought I saw a feature request for "files in use" in WixStdBa but I
> cannot find it anymore. Maybe it was on the mailing list only.
>
> I am willing to contribute this feature for the WixStdBa. I've implemented
> this for our own projects, but it needs some cleanup and adjustments for the
> latest Wix version. I'm little busy lately, but let me know if you guys are
> interested.
>
> Regards,
> Georg

Visutech System Ltd.

tel.: +375 17 211 02 84
fax: +375 17 200 42 48

38 Nemiga St., Minsk, 220004
Republic of Belarus
www.visutechsystem.by

Re: Burn does not show close application warning during uninstall

ashishsagarwal
How can I resolve this issue? I am still facing the same issue and it doesn't give user an option to automatically close the application or do not close. This problem has occurred only after I moved to bundle project.