Burn - how to block upgrades?

jonks
I have a situation where I cannot easily perform a upgrade (major or minor) of a beta-release of a v1.0 product to the final 1.0 release build.

The problem that prevents upgrade has been resolved in the final release, so will not cause the same issues in the future.

I would like to detect that a 'beta' release is currently installed, and notify the user that they need to uninstall it first.

I think the solution involves using the <Bundle><Condition> element, but it's not obvious how to configure the bundle to return the version of a currently installed version of the product.

Any ideas?