C# custom actions in windows 2000 not working

C# custom actions in windows 2000 not working

hegsie
Hi I have a couple of C# custom actions written in wix v3, they seem to work fine when they are run on windows XP and 2003 (I haven't tried vista) but when I try to execute these same CA's in Windows 2000 (after the installfinalize action in the InstallExecuteTable) they fail with 'error code 0x80020008' in the log.

I have got a CA which runs on the press of a button in one of the dialogs and it seems to get executed fine (returns 1), but the internal dialog that it normally displays is never shown.

The other curious thing I've noticed is that the CA's don't write any of the log messages in 2000, but they get written fine in XP or 2003.

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour? Is this operation by design? Can C# custom actions be used on Windows 2000?

Re: C# custom actions in windows 2000 not working

Christopher Karper
Which version of the .NET runtime are you using?  Make sure you're not
running under 3.0 or newer for Windows 2000.

Chris

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 3:22 PM, hegsie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi I have a couple of C# custom actions written in wix v3, they seem to
> work
> fine when they are run on windows XP and 2003 (I haven't tried vista) but
> when I try to execute these same CA's in Windows 2000 (after the
> installfinalize action in the InstallExecuteTable) they fail with 'error
> code 0x80020008' in the log.
>
> I have got a CA which runs on the press of a button in one of the dialogs
> and it seems to get executed fine (returns 1), but the internal dialog that
> it normally displays is never shown.
>
> The other curious thing I've noticed is that the CA's don't write any of
> the
> log messages in 2000, but they get written fine in XP or 2003.
>
> Has anyone else noticed this behaviour? Is this operation by design? Can C#
> custom actions be used on Windows 2000?

Re: C# custom actions in windows 2000 not working

Jason Ginchereau
The C# custom action library hasn't been tested on Windows 2000 and is not supported on that platform. Sorry.

According to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa368322.aspx, "On systems prior to Windows Server 2003, custom actions launched by a DoAction ControlEvent cannot send messages with MsiProcessMessage or Message Method." Logging uses MsiProcessMessage, so that is what you are seeing. (If XP is inconsistent, it's possible that bug got patched in an XP Service Pack.)

-Jason-

Re: C# custom actions in windows 2000 not working

tyoba
Yes. It's epic fail!

wix3.0 on win2000, Framework2.0 Service Pack 2
I've got 4 C# custom actions. Simplest. Inside of them just init properties
They all runs before WelcomeDlg

First test run: FatalError in CA_1
Second test run: FatalError in CA_4
Third test run: it's OK. No errors