Quantcast

CAQuietExec fails to execute inetsrv\appcmd

CAQuietExec fails to execute inetsrv\appcmd

sainathas
Hello all,

I am executing appcmd command to change the Application pool to Integrated
mode using CAQuietExec, it fails with error "Command failed to execute".
The command is working fine when I use ExeCommand instead of CAQuiteExec.
But ExeCommand displays a command prompt while executing the command. I
have followed this article
http://wix.sourceforge.net/manual-wix3/qtexec.htmto execute the
command.

Here is my code...

<CustomAction Id="ConfigureIntegratedAppPoolsCmd_SetProperty"
Property="ConfigureIntegratedAppPoolsCmd"
Value="&quot;[SystemFolder]inetsrv\appcmd set apppool
/apppool.name:&quot;[APP_POOL_NAME].POOL&quot;
/managedPipelineMode:Integrated&quot;" Execute="immediate"/>

<CustomAction Id="ConfigureIntegratedAppPoolsCmd" BinaryKey="WixCA"
DllEntry="CAQuietExec" Execute ="deferred" Return="check" Impersonate="no"/>

I have scheduled ConfigureIntegratedAppPoolsCmd_SetProperty custom action
after CostInitialize and ConfigureIntegratedAppPoolsCmd before
InstallFinalize. Here is the installer log generated.

MSI (s) (94:DC) [09:58:38:078]: Executing op:
ActionStart(Name=ConfigureIntegratedAppPoolsCmd,,)
Action 09:58:38: ConfigureIntegratedAppPoolsCmd.
MSI (s) (94:DC) [09:58:38:078]: Executing op:
CustomActionSchedule(Action=ConfigureIntegratedAppPoolsCmd,ActionType=1025,Source=BinaryData,Target=CAQuietExec,CustomActionData="C:\Windows\system32\inetsrv\appcmd
set apppool /apppool.name:"App Pool.POOL" /managedPipelineMode:Integrated")
MSI (s) (94:B0) [09:58:38:125]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL:
C:\Windows\Installer\MSI759E.tmp, Entrypoint: CAQuietExec
CAQuietExec:  Error 0x8007007b: Command failed to execute.
CAQuietExec:  Error 0x8007007b: CAQuietExec Failed
Action ended 09:58:38: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

Thanks in Advance.

Sainath

Re: CAQuietExec fails to execute inetsrv\appcmd

John Cooper-2
I use AppCmd for IIS Configuration not supported by the Wix IIS Extension.  But, I don't build the path to appcmd.exe the way you do.  I use a DirectorySearch for it, set a property to the absolute path to appcmd.exe, and I pass that to CAQuietExec.  Works great for me.

--
John Merryweather Cooper
Build & Install Engineer - ESA

[...]

Live Security Virtual Conference
Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware threats. http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/
NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any files transmitted with it are intended
together with any attachment, may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
Any unauthorized review, use, printing, saving, copying, disclosure or distribution

Re: CAQuietExec fails to execute inetsrv\appcmd

sainathas
Hello John,

Thanks for the reply.

I did as you suggested but still I faced the same problem. I used
DirectorySearch for getting the absolute path to the appcmd.exe. But I have
one more property which is app pool name which will be taken as input from
the user.

    <Property Id="CONFIGUREINTEGRATEDAPPPOOLSCMD">
      <DirectorySearch Id="AppCmdContainer" Path='[SystemFolder]inetsrv'
Depth='0'>
        <FileSearch Id='AppCmdFile' Name='appcmd.exe'/>
      </DirectorySearch>
    </Property>

This gets me full path to appcmd.exe but still I need to write a custom
action which updates the property being passed to CAQuietExec, with updated
Application Pool name.

Can you share an example code...

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 7:07 PM, John Cooper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I use AppCmd for IIS Configuration not supported by the Wix IIS Extension.
>  But, I don't build the path to appcmd.exe the way you do.  I use a
> DirectorySearch for it, set a property to the absolute path to appcmd.exe,
> and I pass that to CAQuietExec.  Works great for me.
>
> --
> John Merryweather Cooper
> Build & Install Engineer - ESA
> Jack Henry & Associates, Inc.(r)
> Shawnee Mission, KS  66227
> Office:  913-341-3434 x791011
> [hidden email]
> www.jackhenry.com

Make sure you have &quot; on both ends of the absolute path to appcmd.exe.  You're missing them in your code, and that will break everything.  Also, you need to make sure:  1) that the property you're setting before the call to CAQuietExec EXACTLY matches the Id of the CAQuietExec call; and 2) that the property is set before the call to CAQuietExec.  If you've done those two things, a verbose log should show you:  1) what command line is actually being passed to CAQuietExec; and 2) some indication of whether CAQuietExec succeeded or failed.  Setting up the command line can be tricky.

  <CustomAction Id="SetSetAppPool" Property="SetAppPool" Value="&quot;[APPCMD_PATH]&quot; set apppool &quot;[APPPOOLNAME]&quot; -autostart:true -startMode:AlwaysRunning" Execute="immediate" />
  <CustomAction Id="SetAppPool" BinaryKey="WixCA" DllEntry="CAQuietExec64" Execute="deferred" Return="ignore" />

Note also that you may need to call the 64-bit entry point for CAQuietExec as IIS 7.5 on Windows Server 2008 R2 is a 64-bit process and some of the assemblies will not load correctly in a 32-bit call (which CAQuietExec contra CAQuietExec64 is).

--
John Merryweather Cooper
Build & Install Engineer - ESA

I did as you suggested but still I faced the same problem. I used DirectorySearch for getting the absolute path to the appcmd.exe. But I have one more property which is app pool name which will be taken as input from the user.

    <Property Id="CONFIGUREINTEGRATEDAPPPOOLSCMD">
      <DirectorySearch Id="AppCmdContainer" Path='[SystemFolder]inetsrv'
Depth='0'>
        <FileSearch Id='AppCmdFile' Name='appcmd.exe'/>
      </DirectorySearch>
    </Property>

This gets me full path to appcmd.exe but still I need to write a custom action which updates the property being passed to CAQuietExec, with updated Application Pool name.

Can you share an example code...

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 7:07 PM, John Cooper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I use AppCmd for IIS Configuration not supported by the Wix IIS Extension.
>  But, I don't build the path to appcmd.exe the way you do.  I use a
> DirectorySearch for it, set a property to the absolute path to
> appcmd.exe, and I pass that to CAQuietExec.  Works great for me.
>
> --
> John Merryweather Cooper
> Build & Install Engineer - ESA
> Jack Henry & Associates, Inc.(r)