Can not make.bat

tsk

Can not make.bat

tsk
Hi,

I have prepared for all requirements to compile the wix sources.
When I run make.bat I get an error when the script tries to compile
Toolsrc.sln.

The complete log of make.bat is attached.

We want to contribute to wix, just now an extension to heat that was
asked for several times.
Why does wix need such a complex build environment (nant, VS, SQL
Server CE which isn't stated in the documentation, but we fell over it)
which makes contributions that difficult?

Best regards,
Thomas

make.log (16K) Download Attachment

Re: Can not make.bat

robmen
1. VSIP (Visual Studio integration) makes the environment pretty complex. However, if you don't want to build that you should be able to get everything by installing Visual Studio 2010 VC++ Express, Visual Studio 2010 VC# Express, and the Windows 7 SDK + .NET Framework 4.0.

2. It looks like you don't have .NET Framework 4.0 installed. In WiX v3.6 some of the tools require that.

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 3:11 AM, Thomas Krebs <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I have prepared for all requirements to compile the wix sources.
When I run make.bat I get an error when the script tries to compile
Toolsrc.sln.

The complete log of make.bat is attached.

We want to contribute to wix, just now an extension to heat that was
asked for several times.
Why does wix need such a complex build environment (nant, VS, SQL
Server CE which isn't stated in the documentation, but we fell over it)
which makes contributions that difficult?

Best regards,
Thomas

virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC

tsk

Re: Can not make.bat

tsk
Am 20.01.2011 06:22, schrieb Rob Mensching:
> 1. VSIP (Visual Studio integration) makes the environment pretty
> complex. However, if you don't want to build that you should be able to
> get everything by installing Visual Studio 2010 VC++ Express, Visual
> Studio 2010 VC# Express, and the Windows 7 SDK + .NET Framework 4.0.
> 2. It looks like you don't have .NET Framework 4.0 installed. In WiX
> v3.6 some of the tools require that.

On a different machine with VC10 Professional which includes .Net 4 and
Windows SDK 7.0 I get the attached make.log.
See also the attached installed programs image...

Thomas

make.log (4K) Download Attachment
software.png (100K) Download Attachment

Re: Can not make.bat

Bob Arnson-6
As documented in WiX.chm, only the latest NAnt understands the "special" SDK that VS uses, so you have to tell it about it.

On 22-Jan-11 11:46, Rob Mensching wrote:
Hmm. What NAnt do you have in the external\nant\bin directory? I have NAnt 0.90 (Build 0.90.3780.0).

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 12:47 AM, Thomas Krebs <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 20.01.2011 06:22, schrieb Rob Mensching:

1. VSIP (Visual Studio integration) makes the environment pretty
complex. However, if you don't want to build that you should be able to
get everything by installing Visual Studio 2010 VC++ Express, Visual
Studio 2010 VC# Express, and the Windows 7 SDK + .NET Framework 4.0.
2. It looks like you don't have .NET Framework 4.0 installed. In WiX
v3.6 some of the tools require that.

On a different machine with VC10 Professional which includes .Net 4 and
Windows SDK 7.0 I get the attached make.log.
See also the attached installed programs image...

Thomas

virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC
------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Special Offer-- Download ArcSight Logger for FREE (a $49 USD value)! Finally, a world-class log management solution at an even better price-free! Download using promo code Free_Logger_4_Dev2Dev. Offer expires February 28th, so secure your free ArcSight Logger TODAY! http://p.sf.net/sfu/arcsight-sfd2d

http://joyofsetup.com/

tsk

Re: Can not make.bat

tsk
Am 1/22/2011 5:46 PM, schrieb Rob Mensching:
> Hmm. What NAnt do you have in the external\nant\bin directory? I have
> NAnt 0.90 (Build 0.90.3780.0).

I have NAnt version 0.9 Beta 1 as it is mentionend in the make.bat file.
It has Assembly Version 0.90.3759.0

> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 12:47 AM, Thomas Krebs
>
>     Am 20.01.2011 06:22, schrieb Rob Mensching:
>
>         1. VSIP (Visual Studio integration) makes the environment pretty
>         complex. However, if you don't want to build that you should be
>         able to
>         get everything by installing Visual Studio 2010 VC++ Express, Visual
>         Studio 2010 VC# Express, and the Windows 7 SDK + .NET Framework 4.0.
>         2. It looks like you don't have .NET Framework 4.0 installed. In WiX
>         v3.6 some of the tools require that.
>

>     On a different machine with VC10 Professional which includes .Net 4 and
>     Windows SDK 7.0 I get the attached make.log.
>     See also the attached installed programs image...
>
>     Thomas

> virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC

> http://p.sf.net/sfu/arcsight-sfd2d

Mecadtron GmbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Nürnberg
Amtsgericht Nürnberg, HRB20209
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Thomas Krebs
Allersberger Str. 185
90461 Nürnberg
Germany
Tel.: +49 911 462369-0
Fax:  +49 911 462369-11
www.mecadtron.de
www.mecadtron.com

tsk

Re: Can not make.bat

tsk
Am 1/22/2011 6:00 PM, schrieb Bob Arnson:
> As documented in WiX.chm, only the latest NAnt understands the "special"
> SDK that VS uses, so you have to tell it about it.

Sorry didn't get that. I have to use the latest NAnt? And I have to tell
it about it?

We would like to add a functionality to heat to collect files from a
directory tree by giving a file extension. I think this has been asked
for several times.

Is there a way to get a usable heat source code to work in Visual Studio
without all the hassle with NAnt...?

Thomas
--
Mecadtron GmbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Nürnberg
Amtsgericht Nürnberg, HRB20209
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Thomas Krebs
Allersberger Str. 185
90461 Nürnberg
Germany
Tel.: +49 911 462369-0
Fax:  +49 911 462369-11
www.mecadtron.de
www.mecadtron.com

Re: Can not make.bat

Neil Sleightholm
When working on heat I tend to create my own solution file and add these projects:
"heat\heat.csproj"
"wconsole\wconsole.csproj"
 "wix\Wix.csproj"
"ext\UtilExtension\wixext\WixUtilExtension.csproj"
"WixTasks\WixTasks.csproj"
"ext\VSExtension\wixext\WixVSExtension.csproj"
"ext\IIsExtension\wixext\WixIIsExtension.csproj"

I only use build/nant to do a release build.

To run the build in an elevated command prompt I run "bin\wixenv.bat" first then "make ship build -l make.log". You shouldn't need to do any more than add NAnt to the external folder - I actually use "NAnt 0.91 Alpha 2 Release" and it seems to be ok. (If you want to rebuild the help you also need Sandcastle and SandcastleBuilder.)

Hope this helps.

Neil

Am 1/22/2011 6:00 PM, schrieb Bob Arnson:
> As documented in WiX.chm, only the latest NAnt understands the "special"
> SDK that VS uses, so you have to tell it about it.

Sorry didn't get that. I have to use the latest NAnt? And I have to tell it about it?

We would like to add a functionality to heat to collect files from a directory tree by giving a file extension. I think this has been asked for several times.

Is there a way to get a usable heat source code to work in Visual Studio without all the hassle with NAnt...?

Thomas
--
Mecadtron GmbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Nürnberg
Amtsgericht Nürnberg, HRB20209
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Thomas Krebs
Allersberger Str. 185
90461 Nürnberg
Germany
Tel.: +49 911 462369-0
Fax:  +49 911 462369-11
www.mecadtron.de
www.mecadtron.com

Re: Can not make.bat

Blair Murri-3
If you just want to add a new heat collector type, you don't need to build WiX for that. You just write a HeatExtension & HarvesterExtension (properly packaged with an AssemblyDefaultHeatExtension assembly attribute).

Once you get your code working, (avoiding .NET 3.0/3.5/4.0 features if possible if you are intending to place it into WiX directly) then you have two choices:
1. Release them as an extension to the WiX toolset.
2. Get WiX building and contribute them directly to WiX.

Both the WixUtilExtension and WixVSExtension supply Heat/Harvester extensions alongside the "traditional" WixExtension, but an extension to Heat doesn't require the WixExtension part if it isn't applicable.

-Blair

Am 1/22/2011 6:00 PM, schrieb Bob Arnson:
> As documented in WiX.chm, only the latest NAnt understands the "special"
> SDK that VS uses, so you have to tell it about it.

Sorry didn't get that. I have to use the latest NAnt? And I have to tell
it about it?

We would like to add a functionality to heat to collect files from a
directory tree by giving a file extension. I think this has been asked
for several times.

Is there a way to get a usable heat source code to work in Visual Studio
without all the hassle with NAnt...?

Thomas
--
Mecadtron GmbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Nürnberg
Amtsgericht Nürnberg, HRB20209
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Thomas Krebs
Allersberger Str. 185
90461 Nürnberg
Germany
Tel.: +49 911 462369-0
Fax:  +49 911 462369-11
www.mecadtron.de
www.mecadtron.com

tsk

Re: Can not make.bat

tsk
Am 24.01.2011 19:13, schrieb Blair:
> If you just want to add a new heat collector type, you don't need to build WiX for that. You just write a HeatExtension&  HarvesterExtension (properly packaged with an AssemblyDefaultHeatExtension assembly attribute).
>
> Once you get your code working, (avoiding .NET 3.0/3.5/4.0 features if possible if you are intending to place it into WiX directly) then you have two choices:
> 1. Release them as an extension to the WiX toolset.
> 2. Get WiX building and contribute them directly to WiX.
>
> Both the WixUtilExtension and WixVSExtension supply Heat/Harvester extensions alongside the "traditional" WixExtension, but an extension to Heat doesn't require the WixExtension part if it isn't applicable.

Hi,

we now did implement such an extension.
We would be happy to share this code with you.
What is the recommended way to proceed?

Thomas
--
Mecadtron GmbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Nürnberg
Amtsgericht Nürnberg, HRB20209
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Thomas Krebs
Allersberger Str. 185
90461 Nürnberg
Germany
Tel.: +49 911 462369-0
Fax:  +49 911 462369-11
www.mecadtron.de
www.mecadtron.com

Re: Can not make.bat

robmen
Awesome. Contact [hidden email] for the assignment agreement. After that, create a push fork against the Mercurial repository wix36 branch on CodePlex.

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 3:09 AM, Thomas Krebs <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 24.01.2011 19:13, schrieb Blair:
> If you just want to add a new heat collector type, you don't need to build WiX for that. You just write a HeatExtension&  HarvesterExtension (properly packaged with an AssemblyDefaultHeatExtension assembly attribute).
>
> Once you get your code working, (avoiding .NET 3.0/3.5/4.0 features if possible if you are intending to place it into WiX directly) then you have two choices:
> 1. Release them as an extension to the WiX toolset.
> 2. Get WiX building and contribute them directly to WiX.
>
> Both the WixUtilExtension and WixVSExtension supply Heat/Harvester extensions alongside the "traditional" WixExtension, but an extension to Heat doesn't require the WixExtension part if it isn't applicable.

Hi,

we now did implement such an extension.
We would be happy to share this code with you.
What is the recommended way to proceed?

Thomas
--
Mecadtron GmbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Nürnberg
Amtsgericht Nürnberg, HRB20209
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Thomas Krebs
Allersberger Str. 185
90461 Nürnberg
Germany
Tel.: +49 911 462369-0
Fax:  +49 911 462369-11
www.mecadtron.de
www.mecadtron.com

virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC

tsk

Re: Can not make.bat

tsk
Am 10.02.2011 16:02, schrieb Rob Mensching:

Well, it was written by a colleague of mine, [hidden email].
He says, it might be much better to integrate the functionality into the
WixUtilExtension, as it would avoid a lot of overhead that he had to
implement as this extension is just a variant of the directory
harvester.

Maybe we simply send you the code and you integrate it into that class.
Remember, we were unable to compile the whole thing...

Thomas

> Awesome. Contact [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> for the assignment agreement. After that, create a push fork against the
> Mercurial repository wix36 branch on CodePlex.
>
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 3:09 AM, Thomas Krebs <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Am 24.01.2011 19:13, schrieb Blair:
>      > If you just want to add a new heat collector type, you don't need
>     to build WiX for that. You just write a HeatExtension&
>       HarvesterExtension (properly packaged with an
>     AssemblyDefaultHeatExtension assembly attribute).
>      >
>      > Once you get your code working, (avoiding .NET 3.0/3.5/4.0
>     features if possible if you are intending to place it into WiX
>     directly) then you have two choices:
>      > 1. Release them as an extension to the WiX toolset.
>      > 2. Get WiX building and contribute them directly to WiX.
>      >
>      > Both the WixUtilExtension and WixVSExtension supply
>     Heat/Harvester extensions alongside the "traditional" WixExtension,
>     but an extension to Heat doesn't require the WixExtension part if it
>     isn't applicable.
>      >
>
>     Hi,
>
>     we now did implement such an extension.
>     We would be happy to share this code with you.
>     What is the recommended way to proceed?
>
>     Thomas
>     --
>     Mecadtron GmbH
>     Sitz der Gesellschaft: Nürnberg
>     Amtsgericht Nürnberg, HRB20209
>     Geschäftsführer: Dr. Thomas Krebs
>     Allersberger Str. 185
>     90461 Nürnberg
>     Germany
>     Tel.: +49 911 462369-0
>     Fax:  +49 911 462369-11
>     www.mecadtron.de <http://www.mecadtron.de/>
>     www.mecadtron.com <http://www.mecadtron.com/>

> virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC

> http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-dev2devfeb

Mecadtron GmbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Nürnberg
Amtsgericht Nürnberg, HRB20209
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Thomas Krebs
Allersberger Str. 185
90461 Nürnberg
Germany
Tel.: +49 911 462369-0
Fax:  +49 911 462369-11
www.mecadtron.de
www.mecadtron.com

Re: Can not make.bat

Blair Murri-3
I believe I could possibly help you integrate it, but the assignment agreement must still be in place (due to the original authorship of the code).