Component install state not detected during a major upgrade

Component install state not detected during a major upgrade

kirannhegde
Hello All,

I am performing a major upgrade of a msi package. The component codes in both the older as well as the upgrade package remain the same.

I performed a major ugprade and  generated the windows installer logs.
In the logs, i have an interesting observation.

I see that for all the components, the "Installed" state is shown as "Absent". The "Request" and "Action" states are as expected, which is "Local".

Why is it that the "Installed" state is being captured as "Absent", though the component GUIDs are the same in both the old as well as the upgrade package?

Also, note that "RemoveExistingProducts" is sequenced right after "InstallFinalize" . I dont think this has any effect on this behaviour.

Kiran Hegde