Downloading package from network share

StSandro
Hi there.

I have 2 questions about downloading packages.

1. I’ve seen a message by Bob Arnson on stackoverflow (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17785382/wix-bootstrapper-downloadurl-can-it-be-a-local-network-path) that told
“Burn supports downloading from BITS, FTP, HTTP, and HTTPS. It doesn't support SMB shares“
This answer was about v3.6
I wanna know if it is possible to “download” package from network share somehow in v3.9?
If not – will this function be available sometime?

2. How is Detect operation executed if package is not located locally and has to be downloaded? Is the package that needs to be detected cached during Detect phase? Or it is downloaded partially? Just some info that is needed for detect to be done?

Thanks