Quantcast

Duplicate symbols

Florian Schricker
Hello list!

I'm having issues while evaluating WiX for our solutions.

(I've asked before about merge modules but I completely scrapped those.)

Setup:
 - using Visual Studio 08 (VS08)
 - WiX3 installed incl. VS08 support

C# Solution containing
 - BaseLib
 - FirstLib (referencing BaseLib)
 - SecondLib (referencen BaseLib)
 - App (using FirstLib and SecondLib)

I created wixproj files using heat on the csproj files resulting in
WiX-Library projects for the Libs and a Product project for App. All
WiX libraries define Fragments; FirstLib using a ComponentRef on
BaseLib. E.g.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Wix xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/wi">
  <Fragment>
    <DirectoryRef Id="FirstLib.Binaries">
      <Component Id="cmp3EADD50D1DDAF5E04B3A4C289298AACF"
Guid="{618660AD-FE5E-4995-B724-90C2E04A6569}">
        <File Id="fil49EADAE979CEC56AF984BB42AADA6DD6"
Source="$(var.FirstLib.TargetDir)\FirstLib.dll" />
      </Component>
    </DirectoryRef>
  </Fragment>
  <Fragment>
    <ComponentGroup Id="FirstLib.Binaries">
      <ComponentRef Id="cmp3EADD50D1DDAF5E04B3A4C289298AACF" />
      <ComponentRef Id="BaseLib.Binaries"/>
    </ComponentGroup>
  </Fragment>
</Wix>

Using the WiX libraries in the App product always leads to "duplicate
found for BaseLib". So my question is: is my idea of re-using library
WiX projects wrong? Do I need to install the libs to GAC separately?
Or how do I build up a pool of re-usable and installable set of Dlls?

Any pointers, ideas highly welcome!
regards,
Florian

Re: [WiX-users] Duplicate symbols

robmen
The linker should be providing you a very specific error message pointing at
the line of code that is duplicated. Can you provide that?

Also, make sure you're not sending the same .wixlib into the linker twice
(or more!). That'll duplicate tons of things right away. <smile/>

virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Rob Mensching <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Also, make sure you're not sending the same .wixlib into the linker twice
> (or more!). That'll duplicate tons of things right away. <smile/>

Oh well I guess I handled the VS08 projects in a wrong way...
I figured I had the setup project of BaseLib referenced in both
FirstLib and SecondLib setup projects and thus had the duplicate...

Oh my... but at least it seems I'm now getting to it!
(and yes I'd say some documentation is still lacking for all that *g)

regards,
Florian