Quantcast

Error 1723. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run.

Error 1723. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run.

SaiTeja
Hi,

when I run my msi in Virtual Machine am getting following error.

Can any one tell me how to solve this

Action start 11:54:59: InstallValidate.
Action ended 11:54:59: InstallValidate. Return value 1.
Action start 11:54:59: RemoveExistingProducts.
Action ended 11:54:59: RemoveExistingProducts. Return value 0.
Action start 11:54:59: InstallInitialize.
Action ended 11:54:59: InstallInitialize. Return value 1.
Action start 11:54:59: SxsInstallCA.
Error 1723. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action SxsInstallCA, entry: CustomAction_SxsMsmInstall, library: C:\WINNT\Installer\MSIC.tmp
MSI (s) (1C:34): Product: Test Program Client -- Error 1723. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action
 SxsInstallCA, entry: CustomAction_SxsMsmInstall, library: C:\WINNT\Installer\MSIC.tmp

Action ended 11:54:59: SxsInstallCA. Return value 3.
Action ended 11:54:59: INSTALL. Return value 3.
=== Logging stopped: 12/20/2007  11:54:59 ===

Re: Error 1723. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run.

Calin Iaru
Your custom action needs to return 0. Check the code and if the function
CustomAction_SxsMsmInstall returns something else, then you have an error.

SaiTeja wrote:

> Hi,
>
> when I run my msi in Virtual Machine am getting following error.
>
> Can any one tell me how to solve this
>
> Action start 11:54:59: InstallValidate.
> Action ended 11:54:59: InstallValidate. Return value 1.
> Action start 11:54:59: RemoveExistingProducts.
> Action ended 11:54:59: RemoveExistingProducts. Return value 0.
> Action start 11:54:59: InstallInitialize.
> Action ended 11:54:59: InstallInitialize. Return value 1.
> Action start 11:54:59: SxsInstallCA.
> Error 1723. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL
> required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support
> personnel or package vendor. Action SxsInstallCA, entry:
> CustomAction_SxsMsmInstall, library: C:\WINNT\Installer\MSIC.tmp
> MSI (s) (1C:34): Product: Test Program Client -- Error 1723. There is a
> problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install
> to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package
> vendor. Action
>  SxsInstallCA, entry: CustomAction_SxsMsmInstall, library:
> C:\WINNT\Installer\MSIC.tmp
>
> Action ended 11:54:59: SxsInstallCA. Return value 3.
> Action ended 11:54:59: INSTALL. Return value 3.
> === Logging stopped: 12/20/2007  11:54:59 ===

Re: Error 1723. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run.

SaiTeja
Hi,

thanks for resp.

In my code, I have lot of custom actions(dll and exe), in those there is no custom action named

"CustomAction_SxsMsmInstall".

But When I open my MSI with orca, I saw CustomAction_SxsMsmInstall and CustomAction_SxsMsmCleanup

under Custom action.

Could you please tell me indetail

Calin Iaru wrote

SaiTeja wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when I run my msi in Virtual Machine am getting following error.
>
> Can any one tell me how to solve this
>
> Action start 11:54:59: InstallValidate.
> Action ended 11:54:59: InstallValidate. Return value 1.
> Action start 11:54:59: RemoveExistingProducts.
> Action ended 11:54:59: RemoveExistingProducts. Return value 0.
> Action start 11:54:59: InstallInitialize.
> Action ended 11:54:59: InstallInitialize. Return value 1.
> Action start 11:54:59: SxsInstallCA.
> Error 1723. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL
> required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support
> personnel or package vendor. Action SxsInstallCA, entry:
> CustomAction_SxsMsmInstall, library: C:\WINNT\Installer\MSIC.tmp
> MSI (s) (1C:34): Product: Test Program Client -- Error 1723. There is a
> problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install
> to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package
> vendor. Action
>  SxsInstallCA, entry: CustomAction_SxsMsmInstall, library:
> C:\WINNT\Installer\MSIC.tmp
>
> Action ended 11:54:59: SxsInstallCA. Return value 3.
> Action ended 11:54:59: INSTALL. Return value 3.
> === Logging stopped: 12/20/2007  11:54:59 ===

Re: Error 1723. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run.

SaiTeja
Continue with previous post

Condition and seq for those custom actions(got when I open msi with orca)

SxsInstallCA
Condition: (NOT REMOVE) AND (NOT Version9X)
Sequence: 1571

SxsUninstallCA
Cond: ((Installed AND NOT REINSTALL) OR MsiPatchRemovalList) AND (NOT Version9X)
Sequence: 6523

Calin Iaru wrote:

> Your custom action needs to return 0. Check the code and if the function
> CustomAction_SxsMsmInstall returns something else, then you have an error.
>
> SaiTeja wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> when I run my msi in Virtual Machine am getting following error.
>>

>> Can any one tell me how to solve this
>>
>> Action start 11:54:59: InstallValidate.
>> Action ended 11:54:59: InstallValidate. Return value 1.
>> Action start 11:54:59: RemoveExistingProducts.
>> Action ended 11:54:59: RemoveExistingProducts. Return value 0.
>> Action start 11:54:59: InstallInitialize.
>> Action ended 11:54:59: InstallInitialize. Return value 1.
>> Action start 11:54:59: SxsInstallCA.
>> Error 1723. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL
>> required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your
>> support
>> personnel or package vendor. Action SxsInstallCA, entry:
>> CustomAction_SxsMsmInstall, library: C:\WINNT\Installer\MSIC.tmp
>> MSI (s) (1C:34): Product: Test Program Client -- Error 1723. There is a
>> problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this
>> install
>> to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package
>> vendor. Action
>>  SxsInstallCA, entry: CustomAction_SxsMsmInstall, library:
>> C:\WINNT\Installer\MSIC.tmp
>>
>> Action ended 11:54:59: SxsInstallCA. Return value 3.
>> Action ended 11:54:59: INSTALL. Return value 3.
>> === Logging stopped: 12/20/2007  11:54:59 ===

Re: Error 1723. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run.

Wilson, Phil

Those custom actions are usually from the Microsoft merge modules for C++ support.  It’s not clear to me why that one would fail.

Phil Wilson