Quantcast

Error 2753 on Merge Module...

John D. Marinuzzi
Hello All,

I have Merge tag under a Directory (the Target Directory), and then use the
MergeRef as an optional install Feature.  If I do not select that feature,
then I get the error 2573.  I am obviously doing something incorrect.  How
would Igo about including the Merge file only if the user selected that
Feature?

Thank You,

John

Re: Error 2753 on Merge Module...

Rob Mensching-2
>From what you described, you did.

Re: Error 2753 on Merge Module...

Nuzzi
Well, yes, but if they don't want the option, I don't want an error.  I
guess I should have asked how I go about that.  :-)

Thanks,

John

I don't know.  The error is not well defined right now.  Did you look in a verbose log file?  Did you verify the Components containing the file are in the "Action:" and "Installed:" state that you want?

Well, yes, but if they don't want the option, I don't want an error.  I
guess I should have asked how I go about that.  :-)

Thanks,

John

Wilson, Phil
You typically get this error when you try to call a custom action that refers to a file in the MSI, but that file is not actually installed because (for example) there is a higher version of the file already on the system.   In your case,  you have a custom action that refers to a file that isn't being installed because the feature selection omits it.

Phil Wilson

Re: Error 2753 on Merge Module...

Nuzzi
I read that a few times on the net in forums and stuff, but it doesn't seem
to be the case here.  I have a feature that has a mergeref that refers to
Merge listed under a directory.  Here is the basic structure (dots and
'whatever's added for simplicity):

      <Property Id="INSTALLDIR" Value="c:\Whatever" />
      <Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">

         <Directory Id="INSTALLDIR" Name="Whatever">
            <Component Id="InstallDir_Key"
Guid="7B586717-8A31-486e-8598-713B0D6287FC">
               <RegistryValue Id="InstallDir_Key_Value" Root="HKLM"
Key="..." Name="InstallDir" Action="write" Type="string"
Value="[INSTALLDIR]" />
            </Component>
         </Directory>

         <Directory Id="ProgramMenuFolder" Name="Programs">
            <Directory Id="ProgramMenuDir" Name="..." />
         </Directory>

         <Directory Id="DesktopFolder" Name="Desktop" />

         <Merge Id="hinst.6F334D91-DCB7-11DC-AAEA-00059A3C7800"
Language="1033" DiskId="1" SourceFile="hinst.msm" />
                .
                .
      </Directory>

      <Feature Id="f_Main" Title="..." Description="Install the files
required to run ..." Level="1" ConfigurableDirectory="INSTALLDIR"
AllowAdvertise="no" InstallDefault="local">
         <ComponentRef Id="InstallDir_Key" />
         <ComponentRef Id="root_executables" />
         <ComponentRef Id="root_dlls" />
         <ComponentRef Id="root_misc" />
      </Feature>

      <Feature Id="f_HL" Title="HL Drivers" Description="Installing this
file could create problems with older versions of ....  If you are using
version ... or earlier as well as version 2008, you should not install this
driver." Level="1" AllowAdvertise="no" InstallDefault="local">
         <MergeRef Id="hinst.6F334D91-DCB7-11DC-AAEA-00059A3C7800" />
      </Feature>

.
.
.

The problem comes with feature "f_HL".  If it is selected, no problems, if
it is set not install, I get the error.

Thanks,

John

Nothing looks wrong in the authoring.  What about the verbose log file?  Does the Merge Module have a CustomAction that refers to the file that is causing you problems?  If so, then the Merge Module is what is causing you grief.

I read that a few times on the net in forums and stuff, but it doesn't seem
to be the case here.  I have a feature that has a mergeref that refers to
Merge listed under a directory.  Here is the basic structure (dots and
'whatever's added for simplicity):

      <Property Id="INSTALLDIR" Value="c:\Whatever" />
      <Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">

         <Directory Id="INSTALLDIR" Name="Whatever">
            <Component Id="InstallDir_Key"
Guid="7B586717-8A31-486e-8598-713B0D6287FC">
               <RegistryValue Id="InstallDir_Key_Value" Root="HKLM"
Key="..." Name="InstallDir" Action="write" Type="string"
Value="[INSTALLDIR]" />
            </Component>
         </Directory>

         <Directory Id="ProgramMenuFolder" Name="Programs">
            <Directory Id="ProgramMenuDir" Name="..." />
         </Directory>

         <Directory Id="DesktopFolder" Name="Desktop" />

         <Merge Id="hinst.6F334D91-DCB7-11DC-AAEA-00059A3C7800"
Language="1033" DiskId="1" SourceFile="hinst.msm" />
                .
                .
      </Directory>

      <Feature Id="f_Main" Title="..." Description="Install the files
required to run ..." Level="1" ConfigurableDirectory="INSTALLDIR"
AllowAdvertise="no" InstallDefault="local">
         <ComponentRef Id="InstallDir_Key" />
         <ComponentRef Id="root_executables" />
         <ComponentRef Id="root_dlls" />
         <ComponentRef Id="root_misc" />
      </Feature>

      <Feature Id="f_HL" Title="HL Drivers" Description="Installing this
file could create problems with older versions of ....  If you are using
version ... or earlier as well as version 2008, you should not install this
driver." Level="1" AllowAdvertise="no" InstallDefault="local">
         <MergeRef Id="hinst.6F334D91-DCB7-11DC-AAEA-00059A3C7800" />
      </Feature>

.
.
.

The problem comes with feature "f_HL".  If it is selected, no problems, if
it is set not install, I get the error.

Thanks,

John

Hello Again, Rob.

Thanks for your reply.  Here is what comes out of a verbose log:

MSI (s) (B0:E8) [13:03:03:968]: Doing action:
Action.A14EEF5D_58AF_4037_9330_DFC385C52744
Action start 13:03:03: Action.A14EEF5D_58AF_4037_9330_DFC385C52744.
MSI (s) (B0:E8) [13:03:03:968]: Note: 1: 2753 2:
hinst_msi.dll.A14EEF5D_58AF_4037_9330_DFC385C52744
DEBUG: Error 2753:  The File
'hinst_msi.dll.A14EEF5D_58AF_4037_9330_DFC385C52744' is not marked for
installation.
MSI (s) (B0:E8) [13:03:06:484]: Product: ... -- The installer has
encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a
problem with this package. The error code is 2753. The arguments are:
hinst_msi.dll.A14EEF5D_58AF_4037_9330_DFC385C52744, ,

Action ended 13:03:06: Action.A14EEF5D_58AF_4037_9330_DFC385C52744. Return
value 3.

It appears it is the Merge File.  So, I guess the question is where can I
put the Merge tag so it is only seen on the installation of the Feature?
The MSI file is from another company.  I use it to install the drivers for
their hardware.  I include the MSM in the Directory tag, but the MergeRef is
in the Feature.  So, why it is even trying to do anything with the MSM if
the feature isn't selected?

John

It appears the Merge Module is adding a CustomAction to your install and doesn't like it when you choose to not install the file.  You probably need to follow up with the vendor.

John D. Marinuzzi wrote:
> MSI (s) (B0:E8) [13:03:03:968]: Doing action:
> Action.A14EEF5D_58AF_4037_9330_DFC385C52744
> Action start 13:03:03: Action.A14EEF5D_58AF_4037_9330_DFC385C52744.

The problem is in the merge module: It's scheduling an action to be
executed regardless of whether the file it needs is being installed.

http://joyofsetup.com/