Failed to install WiX v3.6

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Failed to install WiX v3.6

Harper
I tried to install WiX 3.6.2221.0 on a computer. After some seconds the message "Failed to install" appears in the UI. I can "Try Again", but this does not gives any better result.

Due to boot manager I could try this with Windows7(64) as well was with Windows XP(32) SP3. Unfortunately the installer does not come as a MSI. So I can't pass the "-log" option to MsiExec.

What's wrong? How can I get information, why it failed? And how can this be fixed? One thing that's different from a successful installation is that it failed on a computer that's a member of a domain. But I am not aware of policies that disallow software installation.

How do I get WiX 3.6 installed?

--
Helge
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Failed to install WiX v3.6

Peter Bulyaki
Hi,
It is an exe because it is a bundle installer (it is installing multiple
MSI files I assume). A bundle can't be an msi, it is because of the
limitations of the msi format.

- The exact same problem happened to me when my Windows Installer service
got broken. You should try re-registering it:

msiexec -unregister
msiexec -regserver

- Another idea: internet connection or proxy problem. Although the
installer is standalone, it still attempts to retrieve
ProjectAggregator2.msi from the website. Simply download
ProjectAggregator2.msi from the website an put it in the same folder as
Wix36.exe.

Peter

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 1:06 PM, Harper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I tried to install WiX 3.6.2221.0 on a computer. After some seconds the
> message "*Failed to install*" appears in the UI. I can "Try Again", but
> this
> does not gives any better result.
>
> Due to boot manager I could try this with Windows7(64) as well was with
> Windows XP(32) SP3. Unfortunately the installer does not come as a MSI. So
> I
> can't pass the "-log" option to MsiExec.
>
> What's wrong? How can I get information, why it failed? And how can this be
> fixed? One thing that's different from a successful installation is that it
> failed on a computer that's a member of a domain. But I am not aware of
> policies that disallow software installation.
>
> How do I get WiX 3.6 installed?
>
> --
> Helge
>
>
> --
> View this message in context:
> http://windows-installer-xml-wix-toolset.687559.n2.nabble.com/Failed-to-install-WiX-v3-6-tp7000156p7000156.html
> Sent from the wix-users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> RSA(R) Conference 2012
> Save $700 by Nov 18
> Register now
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/rsa-sfdev2dev1
> _______________________________________________
> WiX-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/wix-users
>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RSA(R) Conference 2012
Save $700 by Nov 18
Register now
http://p.sf.net/sfu/rsa-sfdev2dev1
_______________________________________________
WiX-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/wix-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Failed to install WiX v3.6

Bruce Cran-2
In reply to this post by Harper
On 16/11/2011 12:06, Harper wrote:
> What's wrong? How can I get information, why it failed? And how can this be
> fixed? One thing that's different from a successful installation is that it
> failed on a computer that's a member of a domain. But I am not aware of
> policies that disallow software installation.
>
> How do I get WiX 3.6 installed?

One way it can fail is if Windows Installer has any reboots pending -
for example if you've installed something previously that wanted to
reboot and you clicked "No". Otherwise, you could check in the logs it
produces by default (i.e. logging is enabled by default) in %TEMP% .

--
Bruce Cran

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RSA(R) Conference 2012
Save $700 by Nov 18
Register now
http://p.sf.net/sfu/rsa-sfdev2dev1
_______________________________________________
WiX-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/wix-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Major Upgrade - Ask user if he would like to upgrade

Thomas.Deboben
In reply to this post by Peter Bulyaki
Hi,

after some discussions I've changed my mind and have implemented the code
to support major upgrades.

But when I now launch the second package to upgrade the first I get no
hint that this will be an upgrade installation.

How could I bring up a message or change the welcome dialog to ask the
user if he would like to upgrade from the first package to the second?

Cheers,
  Thomas
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RSA(R) Conference 2012
Save $700 by Nov 18
Register now
http://p.sf.net/sfu/rsa-sfdev2dev1
_______________________________________________
WiX-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/wix-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Failed to install WiX v3.6

robmen
In reply to this post by Bruce Cran-2
As Bruce notes second, the log file in %TEMP% is the fastest way to figure
out what went wrong.

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 5:03 AM, Bruce Cran <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16/11/2011 12:06, Harper wrote:
> > What's wrong? How can I get information, why it failed? And how can this
> be
> > fixed? One thing that's different from a successful installation is that
> it
> > failed on a computer that's a member of a domain. But I am not aware of
> > policies that disallow software installation.
> >
> > How do I get WiX 3.6 installed?
>
> One way it can fail is if Windows Installer has any reboots pending -
> for example if you've installed something previously that wanted to
> reboot and you clicked "No". Otherwise, you could check in the logs it
> produces by default (i.e. logging is enabled by default) in %TEMP% .
>
> --
> Bruce Cran
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> RSA(R) Conference 2012
> Save $700 by Nov 18
> Register now
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/rsa-sfdev2dev1
> _______________________________________________
> WiX-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/wix-users
>
>


--
virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the data continuously generated in your IT infrastructure
contains a definitive record of customers, application performance,
security threats, fraudulent activity, and more. Splunk takes this
data and makes sense of it. IT sense. And common sense.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/splunk-novd2d
_______________________________________________
WiX-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/wix-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Major Upgrade - Ask user if he would like to upgrade

robmen
In reply to this post by Thomas.Deboben
Upgrade will set a property indicating that the major upgrade is expected.
You can use that to change your UI and I *think* (never tried) condition
out RemoveExistingProducts appropriately.

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 5:23 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> after some discussions I've changed my mind and have implemented the code
> to support major upgrades.
>
> But when I now launch the second package to upgrade the first I get no
> hint that this will be an upgrade installation.
>
> How could I bring up a message or change the welcome dialog to ask the
> user if he would like to upgrade from the first package to the second?
>
> Cheers,
>  Thomas
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> RSA(R) Conference 2012
> Save $700 by Nov 18
> Register now
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/rsa-sfdev2dev1
> _______________________________________________
> WiX-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/wix-users
>
>


--
virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the data continuously generated in your IT infrastructure
contains a definitive record of customers, application performance,
security threats, fraudulent activity, and more. Splunk takes this
data and makes sense of it. IT sense. And common sense.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/splunk-novd2d
_______________________________________________
WiX-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/wix-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Failed to install WiX v3.6

Andy
In reply to this post by robmen
I tried the install on a different machine monitoring the network
traffic as well as analyzing the log file. There was a problem that the
Wix36.exe failed to download ProjectAggregator2 although this was
already installed. The network traffic includeded a download request for
ProjectAggregator2 as well as .NET Framework (IRIC version 4).



Am 22.11.2011 17:50, schrieb Rob Mensching:

> As Bruce notes second, the log file in %TEMP% is the fastest way to figure
> out what went wrong.
>
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 5:03 AM, Bruce Cran<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> On 16/11/2011 12:06, Harper wrote:
>>> What's wrong? How can I get information, why it failed? And how can this
>> be
>>> fixed? One thing that's different from a successful installation is that
>> it
>>> failed on a computer that's a member of a domain. But I am not aware of
>>> policies that disallow software installation.
>>>
>>> How do I get WiX 3.6 installed?
>>


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the data continuously generated in your IT infrastructure
contains a definitive record of customers, application performance,
security threats, fraudulent activity, and more. Splunk takes this
data and makes sense of it. IT sense. And common sense.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/splunk-novd2d
_______________________________________________
WiX-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/wix-users