Quantcast

Fixing ICE57 on perUser installation

Iva

Fixing ICE57 on perUser installation

Iva
Our application writes some settings to the registry into the HKCU hive. I
want to delete this settings during uninstall. Here is code:

  <Fragment>
    <DirectoryRef Id="INSTALLLOCATION" DiskId="1"
FileSource="$(var.SourceDirProject)\">
      <Component Id="DeleteHkcuManufacturerHive" Guid="GUID">
        <Condition>REMOVE="ALL" AND NOT UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE</Condition>
        <CreateFolder/>
        <RemoveRegistryKey Action="removeOnUninstall"
 Id="HKCUkey" Root="HKCU" Key="Software\$(var.Manufacturer)"/>
      </Component>
    </DirectoryRef>
  </Fragment>

Why I'm getting ICE57? Installation is per-User. Thank's in advance.

Re: Fixing ICE57 on perUser installation

Peter Shirtcliffe
Is the INSTALLLOCATION directory a per-machine location ? If it's always
per-user then you can ignore the ICE.

You condition won't work however. A component condition determines whether a
component is installed or not.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa368007%28v=vs.85%29
.aspx

Since REMOVE does not equal ALL when installing, the condition will be false
and the component never gets installed.

Our application writes some settings to the registry into the HKCU hive. I
want to delete this settings during uninstall. Here is code:

  <Fragment>
    <DirectoryRef Id="INSTALLLOCATION" DiskId="1"
FileSource="$(var.SourceDirProject)\">
      <Component Id="DeleteHkcuManufacturerHive" Guid="GUID">
        <Condition>REMOVE="ALL" AND NOT UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE</Condition>
        <CreateFolder/>
        <RemoveRegistryKey Action="removeOnUninstall"
 Id="HKCUkey" Root="HKCU" Key="Software\$(var.Manufacturer)"/>
      </Component>
    </DirectoryRef>
  </Fragment>

Why I'm getting ICE57? Installation is per-User. Thank's in advance.
SDL PLC confidential, all rights reserved.
If you are not the intended recipient of this mail SDL requests and requires that you delete it without acting upon or copying any of its contents, and we further request that you advise us.
SDL PLC is a public limited company registered in England and Wales.  Registered number: 02675207.
Registered address: Globe House, Clivemont Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire SL6 7DY, UK.

Iva

Re: Fixing ICE57 on perUser installation

Iva
Thank you for response.
INSTALLLOCATION  - is a folder in ProgramFiles directory.. It's a
per-machine location?
So if i want to delete enries during uninstall then i need to put condition
on feature which is containing my component? Will it work?

Iva

Re: Fixing ICE57 on perUser installation

Iva
Can anyone clarify where is here in my code per-machine element, please?

2012/9/14 Nelya Iva <[hidden email]>

> Thank you for response.
> INSTALLLOCATION  - is a folder in ProgramFiles directory.. It's a
> per-machine location?
> So if i want to delete enries during uninstall then i need to put
> condition on feature which is containing my component? Will it work?
>

> 2012/9/14 Peter Shirtcliffe <[hidden email]>
>
>> Is the INSTALLLOCATION directory a per-machine location ? If it's always
>> per-user then you can ignore the ICE.
>>
>> You condition won't work however. A component condition determines
>> whether a
>> component is installed or not.
>>
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa368007%28v=vs.85%29
>> .aspx
>>
>> Since REMOVE does not equal ALL when installing, the condition will be
>> false
>> and the component never gets installed.

ProgramFiles is a per-machine location. You can only access it when elevated.
If you want to install program code in a per-user installation, you should
install to %LocalAppData%\Programs.

Remove the condition entirely. The component will be installed but will have
no effect until you uninstall the application. At that point, when the
component is removed, the registrykey will be removed also.

Sorry I didn't see your earlier reply.

Iva

Re: Fixing ICE57 on perUser installation

Iva
Thank you very much! Now it is clear.