Future coolness (was RE: Windows Nano server)

Future coolness (was RE: Windows Nano server)

Rob Mensching-7

Changing title.

I don’t understand that question. WiX is a build tool, not an installation engine.

FireGiant  |  Dedicated support for the WiX toolset  |  http://www.firegiant.com/

Re: Future coolness (was RE: Windows Nano server)

scubasteve
My apologies,

With respect to Chocolatey
WiX would generate a .nuspec (perhaps) that could do all of the things that MSIs do today (perhaps with some limitation, though I can't think of any).

This would allow the WiX xml to generate MSIs, .nuspec, and allow the user to pick their delivery vehicle.

Just as a side note, I looked at the Google Chrome chocolatey package, and it is a thin wrapper around...  their MSI !! :)

On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 at 13:01 Rob Mensching <[hidden email]> wrote:

Changing title.

I don’t understand that question. WiX is a build tool, not an installation engine.

FireGiant  |  Dedicated support for the WiX toolset  |  http://www.firegiant.com/

Are there plans for translating WiX declarative XML into OneGet/Chocolatey/NuGet packages as well?

Re: Future coolness (was RE: Windows Nano server)

John Cooper-2

Chocolately was discussed during the MVA session I attended (with much enthusiasm).  Basically, it provides a NuGet derived wrapper around an APPX to get some of the functionality (particularly dependency resolution) that APPX won’t give you by itself.

So, if I can make an APPX with Wix tools, I can easily wrap it in Chocolately.

--

John Merryweather Cooper

Senior Software Engineer | Integration Development Group | Continuing Development

Jack Henry & Associates, Inc.® | Lenexa, KS  66214 | Ext:  431050 |[hidden email]

Re: Future coolness (was RE: Windows Nano server)

Ahh. Well, that’s possible today with prototype work in Simplified WiX.

Now, IMHO, NuGet and nupkg’s as they are today aren’t terribly compelling installation technologies. It’s basically, drop a bunch of files and run a custom PowerShell script. That’s 1980s based-installation technology that brought us all kinds of hell when it “got big” (which none of these NuGet based systems are yet). However, that’s not to say the world won’t keep changing (Innovator’s Dilemma and all that) so I’m staying abreast of the technologies as they change…

With that said, we’re in the middle of a very large transition right now. The world is going to get chaotic for a while. It’ll be interesting but don’t let the hipster-programmers tell you that the fundamentals don’t matter. They don’t stick to one project long enough to feel the pain of the systems they built. <smile/>

FireGiant  |  Dedicated support for the WiX toolset  |  http://www.firegiant.com/

Are there plans for translating WiX declarative XML into OneGet/Chocolatey/NuGet packages as well?

Re: Future coolness (was RE: Windows Nano server)

John Cooper-2

Strongly agreed.  Particular when they won’t discuss weaknesses.  Every technology has them.

When somebody denies a technology has weaknesses, I get really worried and I look very hard to find them.

Used to write those scripted tarballs—well I remember.

--

John Merryweather Cooper

Senior Software Engineer | Integration Development Group | Continuing Development

Jack Henry & Associates, Inc.® | Lenexa, KS  66214 | Ext:  431050 |[hidden email]

Re: Future coolness (was RE: Windows Nano server)

Mike Birtwistle
Rob Mensching-7 wrote
Now, IMHO, NuGet and nupkg’s as they are today aren’t terribly compelling installation technologies. It’s basically, drop a bunch of files and run a custom PowerShell script.
http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Ignite/2015/BRK2461

A good over view from 0:27:00 of the windows server refactoring effort (Nanoserver), and the implication for installation tool chains.

Importantly NanoServer does not include the windows installer stack!, so 'drop files and run Core Powershell (based on CoreCLR .Net APIs only)' is pretty much all you have available by default.

On the plus side, an installation technology that works on Nanoserver will work on all the Windows Server vNext SKUs

So a translator the converts WIX xml into Core Powershell (and warns you when you are using features not available) would help people understand just what is and isn't possible.