Getting Error LGHT0311

Bhavik Hathi
Hi,

I am trying to build an MSI using Wix but getting following error when I build
the solution:

A string was provided with characters that are not available in the specified
database code page '1252'. Either change these characters to ones that exist in
the database's code page, or update the database's code page by modifying one of
the following attributes: Product/@Codepage, Module/@Codepage, Patch/@Codepage,
PatchCreation/@Codepage, or WixLocalization/@Codepage.

The issue is, one of my file contains smart quotes (“and ”) in the name. Looks
like Wix is not able to recognize these smart quotes. I also tried to replace
them with escape sequences (“ and ”) but that too is giving the same
error.

Also, I will not be able to change the smart quotes (“and ”) to normal quotes (“
and “) in the file name as the file gets generated coming from a third party
tool.

Can someone please let me know how to get rid of this error? This has become a
blocking issue for me.

Any help would really appreciated.

Thanks,
Bhavik Hathi

Re: Getting Error LGHT0311

robmen
The MSI file format is ANSI. That means your characters have to conform to
whatever codepage you are picking. If you don't fix the error, you'll get
squares instead of whatever character you think you want.

There isn't really anything the WiX toolset can do. It's an MSI limitation.

--
virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 4:01 PM, Bhavik Hathi <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to build an MSI using Wix but getting following error when I
> build
> the solution:
>
> A string was provided with characters that are not available in the
> specified
> database code page '1252'. Either change these characters to ones that
> exist in
> the database's code page, or update the database's code page by modifying
> one of
> the following attributes: Product/@Codepage, Module/@Codepage,
> Patch/@Codepage,
> PatchCreation/@Codepage, or WixLocalization/@Codepage.
>
> The issue is, one of my file contains smart quotes (“and ”) in the name.
> Looks
> like Wix is not able to recognize these smart quotes. I also tried to
> replace
> them with escape sequences (“ and ”) but that too is giving the same
> error.
>
> Also, I will not be able to change the smart quotes (“and ”) to normal
> quotes (“
> and “) in the file name as the file gets generated coming from a third
> party
> tool.
>
> Can someone please let me know how to get rid of this error? This has
> become a
> blocking issue for me.
>
> Any help would really appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bhavik Hathi

Re: Getting Error LGHT0311

Thom Leigh
FYI Bhavik, codepage 65001 is UTF-8, but Windows Installer doesn't support it.

Specifically, when I've used it, it messed up the fonts in the Basic UI when uninstalling (showed squares) which I kind of worked around by making it show the Maintenance dialog when uninstalling from ARP. In the long term, we just set all our filenames to be ANSI only.

Can you rename your files after they come out of your 3rd party tool? And perhaps even rename them back to the original with smart quotes after install on first run?

The MSI file format is ANSI. That means your characters have to conform to whatever codepage you are picking. If you don't fix the error, you'll get squares instead of whatever character you think you want.

There isn't really anything the WiX toolset can do. It's an MSI limitation.

--
virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 4:01 PM, Bhavik Hathi <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to build an MSI using Wix but getting following error when I
> build
> the solution:
>
> A string was provided with characters that are not available in the
> specified
> database code page '1252'. Either change these characters to ones that
> exist in
> the database's code page, or update the database's code page by modifying
> one of
> the following attributes: Product/@Codepage, Module/@Codepage,
> Patch/@Codepage,
> PatchCreation/@Codepage, or WixLocalization/@Codepage.
>
> The issue is, one of my file contains smart quotes (“and ”) in the name.
> Looks
> like Wix is not able to recognize these smart quotes. I also tried to
> replace
> them with escape sequences (“ and ”) but that too is giving the same
> error.
>
> Also, I will not be able to change the smart quotes (“and ”) to normal
> quotes (“
> and “) in the file name as the file gets generated coming from a third
> party
> tool.
>
> Can someone please let me know how to get rid of this error? This has
> become a
> blocking issue for me.
>
> Any help would really appreciated.
>
> Thanks,