How do I get the Domain???

Thomas Söldenwagner
hi,

anybody some idea how to get the domain name of the computer where the
msi package is executed?

i want to create a domain user and need to know the domain name.

thx

tom

Re: How do I get the Domain???

David Partington
How about USERDOMAIN environment variable?
in wix as [%USERDOMAIN]

Thomas Söldenwagner wrote:

> hi,
>
> anybody some idea how to get the domain name of the computer where the
> msi package is executed?
>
> i want to create a domain user and need to know the domain name.
>
> thx
>
> tom

RE: How do I get the Domain???

Bob Arnson
> anybody some idea how to get the domain name of the computer where the
> msi package is executed?

Try using the [%USERDOMAIN] environment variable.

sig://boB
http://bobs.org

Re: How do I get the Domain???

Thomas Söldenwagner
hi david,

thanks for your quick help!
i was searching the web and msdn - but i counldn't find it!

@Rob
maybe a quick comment about this in the manual at the user tag could help!

thx & cu tom

>From: David Partington <[hidden email]>
>To: Thomas S?ldenwagner <[hidden email]>
>CC: [hidden email]
>Subject: Re: [WiX-users] How do I get the Domain???
>Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 17:15:33 +1000
>
>How about USERDOMAIN environment variable?
>in wix as [%USERDOMAIN]
>
>Thomas S?ldenwagner wrote:
>
>>hi,
>>
>>anybody some idea how to get the domain name of the computer where the
>>msi package is executed?
>>
>>i want to create a domain user and need to know the domain name.
>>
>>thx
>>
>>tom

RE: How do I get the Domain???

Thomas Söldenwagner
thx bob!

>From: "Bob Arnson" <[hidden email]>
>To: 'Thomas S?ldenwagner'
><[hidden email]>,<[hidden email]>
>Subject: RE: [WiX-users] How do I get the Domain???
>Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 00:20:45 -0700
>
> > anybody some idea how to get the domain name of the computer where the
> > msi package is executed?
>
>Try using the [%USERDOMAIN] environment variable.
>
>sig://boB
>http://bobs.org

How to allow installation for domain admins only?

Thomas Söldenwagner
hi,

i know about the property [AdminUser] and its usage to allow admin only
installations.

but how to restrict the installation to domain admins only???

when creating a domain user, msi needs to have domain admin rights
otherwise it fails.

i'd like to test this condition in advance.

thx & cu tom

RE: How to allow installation for domain admins only?

Bob Arnson
> but how to restrict the installation to domain admins only???

There's no built-in MSI property for detecting that, so you'd need to write
a custom action to set a property when appropriate then use that property in
a launch condition.

sig://boB
http://bobs.org