Quantcast

How to install local service data files

Miles Waller
Hi,

I have written an installed for a service using wix, which runs under the
Local System account.  So far, so good.

Now I want to install some data files that go with the service, under the
Local System profile's data folder.

On my machine, that means here:
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming
though presumably the path depends on the user's exact set up.

(I got this location by getting the service to create some files when it
started.)

How do I get WIX to put my data file in the right place in this scenario - I
naively tried APPDATA, but that of course is under the installing user's
profile and not the local system account.

I've googled around and looked in the docs but can't find anything useful on
this...

Thanks for your help,

Miles

Re: How to install local service data files

Heath Stewart-2
Depending on what of that path can vary from system to system, you could use
[SystemFolder]config\systemprofile\appdata\roaming, but 1) why roaming for a
system (local) service, and 2) can it be some other directory?

If it can be a locked down but shared directory, you might instead use
[CommonApDataFolder], which results to all users' AppData folder. The MSI
documentation has more.

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 6:28 AM, Miles Waller <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have written an installed for a service using wix, which runs under the
> Local System account.  So far, so good.
>
> Now I want to install some data files that go with the service, under the
> Local System profile's data folder.
>
> On my machine, that means here:
> C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming
> though presumably the path depends on the user's exact set up.
>
> (I got this location by getting the service to create some files when it
> started.)
>
> How do I get WIX to put my data file in the right place in this scenario -
> naively tried APPDATA, but that of course is under the installing user's
> profile and not the local system account.
>
> I've googled around and looked in the docs but can't find anything useful
> on
> this...
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Miles

*Heath Stewart
*Visual Studio Professional Deployment Experience team, Microsoft
http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths