Quantcast

How to make the ProgramMenuDir configurable?

How to make the ProgramMenuDir configurable?

Volker Enderlein
Hi,

i came across the idea of making the ProgramMenuDir configurable as
InstallShield and other installers do. You can give a different name to
the program group. Is that possible in WiX and if yes how?

Cheers Volker

--
Volker Enderlein
Tel: +49 (0)371 53119651           Institut für Mechatronik

Re: How to make the ProgramMenuDir configurable?

Bob Arnson-6
Volker Enderlein wrote:
> i came across the idea of making the ProgramMenuDir configurable as
> InstallShield and other installers do. You can give a different name to
> the program group. Is that possible in WiX and if yes how?

Create a subdirectory of ProgramMenuFolder and you can give it any name
you want.

http://joyofsetup.com/

Bob Arnson schrieb:
> Volker Enderlein wrote:
>> i came across the idea of making the ProgramMenuDir configurable as
>> InstallShield and other installers do. You can give a different name to
>> the program group. Is that possible in WiX and if yes how?
>>

> Create a subdirectory of ProgramMenuFolder and you can give it any name
> you want.

Thanks for your answer Bob, but I think I need to clarify the
difficulties I am facing.

I know how to place a directory under the ProgramMenuFolder like

<Directory Id="ProgramMenuFolder" Name="PFiles" LongName"Programs">
   <Directory Id="ProgramMenuDir" Name="test" LongName="Test 1.0" />
</Directory>

But say I have a property GROUPSEL which has been set in a UIDialog and
want to use this name. How would I do that?

<Directory Id="ProgramMenuFolder" Name="PMenu" LongName"Programs">
   <!-- does not work -->
   <Directory Id="ProgramMenuDir" Name="test" LongName="[GROUPSEL]" />
   <!-- does not work -->
   <Directory Id="ProgramMenuDir" Name="test" LongName="GROUPSEL" />
   <!-- how to formulate it properly? -->
   <Directory Id="ProgramMenuDir" Name="test" LongName="????????" />
</Directory>

I searched the archives and the help manual, but don't find a properly
solution. Maybe it's simply related using the wrong keywords.

Thank you, Cheers Volker

--
Volker Enderlein                   Institut für Mechatronik e.V. an der
Tel: +49 (0)371 53119651           Technischen Universität Chemnitz

Volker Enderlein schrieb:

> Bob Arnson schrieb:
>> Volker Enderlein wrote:
>>> i came across the idea of making the ProgramMenuDir configurable as
>>> InstallShield and other installers do. You can give a different name to
>>> the program group. Is that possible in WiX and if yes how?
>>>
>> Create a subdirectory of ProgramMenuFolder and you can give it any name
>> you want.
>>

> Thanks for your answer Bob, but I think I need to clarify the
> difficulties I am facing.
>
> I know how to place a directory under the ProgramMenuFolder like
>
> <Directory Id="ProgramMenuFolder" Name="PFiles" LongName"Programs">
>    <Directory Id="ProgramMenuDir" Name="test" LongName="Test 1.0" />
> </Directory>
>
> But say I have a property GROUPSEL which has been set in a UIDialog and
> want to use this name. How would I do that?
>
> <Directory Id="ProgramMenuFolder" Name="PMenu" LongName"Programs">
>    <!-- does not work -->
>    <Directory Id="ProgramMenuDir" Name="test" LongName="[GROUPSEL]" />
>    <!-- does not work -->
>    <Directory Id="ProgramMenuDir" Name="test" LongName="GROUPSEL" />
>    <!-- how to formulate it properly? -->
>    <Directory Id="ProgramMenuDir" Name="test" LongName="????????" />
> </Directory>
>
> I searched the archives and the help manual, but don't find a properly
> solution. Maybe it's simply related using the wrong keywords.
>
> Thank you, Cheers Volker

I knew I was missing some fundamentals of WiX. I found the answer
reading the wix tutorial a second time more carefully.

<CustomAction Id='PropertyAssign' Directory='INSTALLDIR'
   Value='[TARGETDIR]\Program Files\Acme\Foobar 1.0\bin' />

should do the trick.

Thanks agaín for your answer.

Keep up the good work, Cheers Volker

Volker Enderlein wrote:
> I knew I was missing some fundamentals of WiX. I found the answer
> reading the wix tutorial a second time more carefully.

Right. Windows Installer requires you to name files and directories
explicitly; a custom action is needed to use embedded properties.

http://joyofsetup.com/

Re: How to make the ProgramMenuDir configurable?

Markus Wagner-5
Hi Volker,

If you use a custom action to set a directory with a property value you have
to ensure that you save the property value somewhere. Otherwise you have a
problem during uninstall if the property has an other value than during
install.

Unfortunatly you notice this not until the uninstall when your files will
not be removed.

In my projects I save the property value in the registry. And it works fine.

Markus

>>> i came across the idea of making the ProgramMenuDir configurable as
>>> InstallShield and other installers do. You can give a different name to
>>> the program group. Is that possible in WiX and if yes how?
>>>
>> Create a subdirectory of ProgramMenuFolder and you can give it any
>> name
>> you want.
>>

> Thanks for your answer Bob, but I think I need to clarify the
> difficulties I am facing.
>
> I know how to place a directory under the ProgramMenuFolder like
>
> <Directory Id="ProgramMenuFolder" Name="PFiles" LongName"Programs">
>    <Directory Id="ProgramMenuDir" Name="test" LongName="Test 1.0" />
> </Directory>
>
> But say I have a property GROUPSEL which has been set in a UIDialog
> and
> want to use this name. How would I do that?
>
> <Directory Id="ProgramMenuFolder" Name="PMenu" LongName"Programs">
>    <!-- does not work -->
>    <Directory Id="ProgramMenuDir" Name="test" LongName="[GROUPSEL]" />
>    <!-- does not work -->
>    <Directory Id="ProgramMenuDir" Name="test" LongName="GROUPSEL" />
>    <!-- how to formulate it properly? -->
>    <Directory Id="ProgramMenuDir" Name="test" LongName="????????" />
> </Directory>
>
> I searched the archives and the help manual, but don't find a properly
> solution. Maybe it's simply related using the wrong keywords.
>
> Thank you, Cheers Volker

I knew I was missing some fundamentals of WiX. I found the answer
reading the wix tutorial a second time more carefully.

<CustomAction Id='PropertyAssign' Directory='INSTALLDIR'
   Value='[TARGETDIR]\Program Files\Acme\Foobar 1.0\bin' />

should do the trick.

Thanks agaín for your answer.

Keep up the good work, Cheers Volker

--
Volker Enderlein                   Institut für Mechatronik e.V. an der
Tel: +49 (0)371 53119651           Technischen Universität Chemnitz
Fax: +49 (0)371 53119699           Reichenhainer Strasse 88
email: [hidden email]   D-09126 Chemnitz

Re: How to make the ProgramMenuDir configurable?

Volker Enderlein
Hi Markus,

thank you for your hint, I already discovered this when testing the
package and found the solution you described after a long search.

Cheers Volker

Markus Wagner wrote:

> Hi Volker,
>
> If you use a custom action to set a directory with a property value you have
> to ensure that you save the property value somewhere. Otherwise you have a
> problem during uninstall if the property has an other value than during
> install.
>
> Unfortunatly you notice this not until the uninstall when your files will
> not be removed.
>
> In my projects I save the property value in the registry. And it works fine.
>
> Markus

MikeCroswell
Markus, Can you tell me how you can write ProgramMenuDir's value to the registry.  I tried $(var.ProgramMenuDir) with no results.  Thanks. -Mike

Markus Wagner-5 wrote