How to populate a list box in a msi dialog during runtime

How to populate a list box in a msi dialog during runtime

uharano
Hi,
I need to populate a ListBox control in a MSI dialog at runtime. What is the best way to do this?
Thanks!
Uma-

Re: How to populate a list box in a msi dialog during runtime

Blair Murri-3
>From your custom action processing/retrieving the values to go into your
listbox, add rows to the ListBox table before the dialog showing the listbox
is shown.

You should use the "temporary row technique" mentioned in Bob's semi-custom
action blog.

Re: How to populate a list box in a msi dialog duringruntime

Dominique Louis
There are several ways to do it apparent, but this is what works for
me...

Set up your control up like this...
<Control Id="CmbSQLServerInstance" Property="SQLSERVERINSTANCE"
Type="ComboBox" Height="15" Width="140" X="14" Y="93" Text="Ppphhh"
ComboList="yes" ToolTip="The instance of SQL Server you would like to
attach to.">
          <ComboBox Property="SQLSERVERINSTANCE">
            <ListItem Value="MSSQLSERVER"/>
          </ComboBox>
    </Control>

There must be at least 1 dummy ListItem, otherwise the appropriate table
will not be created.
As you can see mine is MSSQLSERVER. In VBscript here is the abridged
version of what I do...

Dim oView

      ' open and execute a view to the ComboBox table
      Set oView = Session.Database.OpenView("SELECT * FROM `ComboBox`")
      oView.Execute

      ' Delete the dummy record
      DeleteItemFromComboBox oView

You can add a "where property =..." if you have more than one Combobox
within your project.
Create a stringlist of sorts, then....

       intI = 0
        For Each sSQLInstance In sSQLInstances

          AddItemToComboBox oView, Session.Property("ComputerName") &
"\" & sSQLInstance, intI

          intI = intI + 1
        Next

And here are the functions I use...

Function DeleteItemFromComboBox( oComboBox )
        Set oListItem = oComboBox.Fetch()

        LogSessionInfo "GetSQLServerInstancesAction - Deleting item"
        oComboBox.Modify msiViewModifyDelete, oListItem

        oComboBox = Nothing
      End Function

Function AddItemToComboBox( oComboBox, oItem, iItemNo )
        ' ComboBox record fields are Property, Order, Value, Text
        LogSessionInfo "GetSQLServerInstancesAction - Adding " & oItem &
" to ComboBox."
        Set oReccombo = Session.Installer.CreateRecord(4)
        oReccombo.StringData(1) = "SQLSERVERINSTANCE"
        oReccombo.IntegerData(2) = iItemNo
        oReccombo.StringData(3) = oItem
        oReccombo.StringData(4) = oItem
        oComboBox.Modify msiViewModifyInsertTemporary, oReccombo
      End Function

Function LogSessionInfo(msg)
      Const MESSAGE_TYPE_INFO = &H04000000
      Dim rec
        Set rec = Session.Installer.CreateRecord(1)
        rec.StringData(0) = msg
        LogSessionInfo = Session.Message(MESSAGE_TYPE_INFO, rec)
      End Function

There are probably better ways, if so hopefully someone on here will
point out my mistakes.

I hope this helps. I'm hoping to do something similar for ListViews.

Dominique

I need to populate a ListBox control in a MSI dialog at runtime. What is
the best way to do this?
Thanks!
Uma-
AMX

AMX UK
Auster Road
Clifton Moor
York, North Yorkshire
United Kingdom
YO30 4GD

+44 (0) 1904 343100 office
+44 (0) 1904 343101 fax

AMX South
6th Floor Salisbury House
London Wall
London
United Kingdom
EC2M 5QQ

+44 (0) 2076 529450 office
+44 (0) 8701 991661 fax

AMX Belgium
Boerenkrijglaan, 96a
B-2260
Westerlo
Belgium

+ 32 (0) 1454 2763 office
+ 32 (0) 1454 2766 fax

Attention:
This e-mail message is privileged and confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient please delete the message and notify the sender.
Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author.

This email was scanned and cleared by NetIQ MailMarshal.

Re: How to populate a list box in a msi dialog duringruntime

Alex Cater
Dominique Louis wrote
There must be at least 1 dummy ListItem, otherwise the appropriate table
will not be created.
The EnsureTable element can be used to cleanly accomplish this:

e.g. <EnsureTable Id="***TableName***"/>

Re: How to populate a list box in a msi dialog duringruntime

Dominique Louis
Thanks for pointing out the EnsureTable tag. I'll use that from now on.
Much cleaner.

The  http://wix.sourceforge.net/manual-wix2/wix_xsd_ensuretable.htm
EnsureTable  element can be used to cleanly accomplish this:

e.g. <EnsureTable Id="***TableName***"/>

------
developing skills, take BlackBerry mobile applications to market and
stay
http://p.sf.net/sfu/devconference
[...]

Chris Lord-2
BTW, we still need to talk to the Larocko's about this weekend...That is
as long as you can and still want to go.

> There must be at least 1 dummy ListItem, otherwise the appropriate
> table will not be created.

The  http://wix.sourceforge.net/manual-wix2/wix_xsd_ensuretable.htm
EnsureTable  element can be used to cleanly accomplish this:

e.g. <EnsureTable Id="***TableName***"/>

------
Come build with us! The BlackBerry(R) Developer Conference in SF, CA is
the only developer event you need to attend this year. Jumpstart your
developing skills, take BlackBerry mobile applications to market and
stay ahead of the curve. Join us from November 9 - 12, 2009. Register
now!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/devconference

Re: How to populate a list box in a msi dialog duringruntime

Chris Lord-2
How weird....I send a message to my wife and it appears via
WiX......apologies everyone!

BTW, we still need to talk to the Larocko's about this weekend...That is
as long as you can and still want to go.

> There must be at least 1 dummy ListItem, otherwise the appropriate
> table will not be created.

The  http://wix.sourceforge.net/manual-wix2/wix_xsd_ensuretable.htm
EnsureTable  element can be used to cleanly accomplish this:

e.g. <EnsureTable Id="***TableName***"/>

------
Come build with us! The BlackBerry(R) Developer Conference in SF, CA is
the only developer event you need to attend this year. Jumpstart your
developing skills, take BlackBerry mobile applications to market and
stay ahead of the curve. Join us from November 9 - 12, 2009. Register
now!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/devconference

------
Come build with us! The BlackBerry(R) Developer Conference in SF, CA is
the only developer event you need to attend this year. Jumpstart your
developing skills, take BlackBerry mobile applications to market and
stay ahead of the curve. Join us from November 9 - 12, 2009. Register
now!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/devconference

Re: How to populate a list box in a msi dialogduringruntime

Dominique Louis
I'd love to come along :). Anything exciting happening... Who are the
Larockos?

Me thinks this was not meant for this list.

Dominique.

Re: How to populate a list box in a msi dialogduringruntime

Dominique Louis
So I guess the invite doesn't stand then, I feel hurt :).

I hate it when emails get crossed in the ether.

How weird....I send a message to my wife and it appears via
WiX......apologies everyone!

Re: How to populate a list box in a msi dialog duringruntime

uharano
Thanks for the tips on how to populate a ListBox at runtime. I created a C++ dll to read a file on disc to populate the items in the listbox and it is working good for me now.
When my list box is populated at runtime, how do I ensure that the first item listed is highlighted?

(Might be a stupid question, but I am just not able to get that to work - I have tried setting the ListBox property to the first item, but that doesn't work either)

Thanks!
Uma-

Thanks for pointing out the EnsureTable tag. I'll use that from now on.
Much cleaner.

> There must be at least 1 dummy ListItem, otherwise the appropriate
table
> will not be created.

The  http://wix.sourceforge.net/manual-wix2/wix_xsd_ensuretable.htm
EnsureTable  element can be used to cleanly accomplish this:

e.g. <EnsureTable Id="***TableName***"/>

------
developing skills, take BlackBerry mobile applications to market and
stay
http://p.sf.net/sfu/devconference
AMX

AMX UK
Auster Road
Clifton Moor
York, North Yorkshire
United Kingdom
YO30 4GD

+44 (0) 1904 343100 office
+44 (0) 1904 343101 fax

AMX South
6th Floor Salisbury House
London Wall
London
United Kingdom
EC2M 5QQ

+44 (0) 2076 529450 office
+44 (0) 8701 991661 fax

AMX Belgium
Boerenkrijglaan, 96a
B-2260
Westerlo
Belgium

+ 32 (0) 1454 2763 office
+ 32 (0) 1454 2766 fax

Attention:
This e-mail message is privileged and confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient please delete the message and notify the sender.
Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author.

This email was scanned and cleared by NetIQ MailMarshal.

Re: How to populate a list box in a msi dialog duringruntime

Blair Murri-3
The property has to be set to the value of the desired item before the
dialog containing the listbox is opened.