Quantcast

How to run custom action on install rollback

How to run custom action on install rollback

Joe Osman-2
I want to execute a custom action when the installation fails and a
rollback is executed by the MSI, but my custom action doesn't run
although I set it to execute on a rollback.
Here is my code:

<InstallExecuteSequence>
<Custom Action ="DeleteDbBackupFileOnRollback" After
="InstallFiles"></Custom>
</InstallExecuteSequence>

<CustomAction Id="DeleteDbBackupFileOnRollback" BinaryKey
="K1CustomActions.dll" DllEntry ="DeleteDbBackupFile" Return ="check"
Execute="rollback" />

--
Joe Osman

addressee.  It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be
lost by reason of this transmission.
other act on the email.

Re: How to run custom action on install rollback

Christopher Painter
Rollback custom actions are written to the script and if there is a failure in
script execution the Windows Installer will walk the script backwards and
execute any rollback CA's that have been written to the script.  So make sure
you schedule it early enough ( possibly well before InstallFiles )  that it will
be before whatever action failed.

Christopher Painter, Author of Deployment Engineering Blog
Have a hot tip, know a secret or read a really good thread that deserves
attention? E-Mail Me

Re: How to run custom action on install rollback

KFrench
I am running into this same issue. The suggested fix did not work for me. The custom action scheduled for a rollback is written to the first installer in my burn string. The 5th installer fails, but the 1st installer's custom action for rollback is not being triggered when everything is finished rolling back.