How to use SelfRegCost?

Peter G. Sakhno
Hello.

I know that self registration is evil is strongly not recommended for
use. But for my project it's acceptable, at least for the first steps
toward MSI.

My question is what value should be provided for that attribute? In
documentation said that it should be "the cost of registering the module
in bytes". How to calculate that cost?

--
Best regards,
Peter G. Sakhno

Re: How to use SelfRegCost?

Stefan Pavlik-2
Hi Peter,

As I understand the description, this value is only used for correct
displaying of progress bar. So I think when you will enter 0 for
SelfRegCost then the progress bar will not move during execution of
SelfRegistration (Standard Action).

regards

Stefan

Peter G. Sakhno wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I know that self registration is evil is strongly not recommended for
> use. But for my project it's acceptable, at least for the first steps
> toward MSI.
>
> My question is what value should be provided for that attribute? In
> documentation said that it should be "the cost of registering the module
> in bytes". How to calculate that cost?

--
Stefan Pavlik | [hidden email]
Whitestein Technologies | www.whitestein.com

Re: How to use SelfRegCost?

Peter G. Sakhno
Hi Stefan,

Thank you.
I already entered '1' for that attribute.

Best regards,
Peter G. Sakhno
C-MAP RUSSIA Ltd
http://www.c-map.ru/

Peter G. Sakhno wrote:
> My question is what value should be provided for that attribute? In
> documentation said that it should be "the cost of registering the module
> in bytes". How to calculate that cost?

MSI knows your file sizes but it can't see what your self-reg code is
going to do. For typical registration, it doesn't much matter. But if
you do something "odd," like creating a cache of several megabytes, you
need to tell MSI so it can determine if there's enough disk space.

http://bobs.org