Quantcast

Install the Visual C++ redistributables file vcredist_x86.exe

Install the Visual C++ redistributables file vcredist_x86.exe

Natalie Carr
Hi, Hope someone can help me. I'm trying to install the Visual C++
redistributables file vcredist_x86.exe

I can't use merge modules as I've been asked to use this one EXE file. I
added it to a bootstrapper using this code:

<ItemGroup>

<BootstrapperFile Include="Microsoft.Visual.C++.10.0.x86">

  <ProductName>Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables</ProductName>

</BootstrapperFile>

</ItemGroup>

<Target Name="AfterBuild">

<GenerateBootstrapper ApplicationFile="$(TargetFileName)"
ApplicationName="Server Setup" BootstrapperItems="@(BootstrapperFile)"
ComponentsLocation="Relative" CopyComponents="True"
OutputPath="$(OutputPath)" Path="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft
SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bootstrapper\" />

</Target>

But this installs the prerequisites at the beginning and I have been asked
to show our welcome dialog and then do a registry search to see if the
appropriate files are installed. If they are not to call the
vcredist_x86.exe file.

Can this be done?

I'm trying this but cannot get it to work.

   <CustomAction Id="QtExecDeferredExampleWithProperty_Cmd"
Property="QtExecDeferredExampleWithProperty"
Value="&quot;[#vcredist_x86.exe]&quot;" Execute="immediate"/>

    <CustomAction Id="QtExecDeferredExampleWithProperty" BinaryKey="WixCA"
DllEntry="CAQuietExec" Execute="deferred" Return="check" Impersonate="no"/>

    <InstallExecuteSequence>

      <Custom Action="QtExecDeferredExampleWithProperty_Cmd"
After="CostFinalize"/>

      <Custom Action="QtExecDeferredExampleWithProperty"
After="InstallInitialize"/>

    </InstallExecuteSequence>

Kind Regards,

Natalie Carr

Re: Install the Visual C++ redistributables file vcredist_x86.exe

Neil Sleightholm
I'd suggest using burn to do this; this is the code I am using to install vcredist.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<?define vcredist_x86 =  http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/d/9/dd9a82d0-52ef-40db-8dab-795376989c03/vcredist_x86.exe ?>
<Wix xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/wi" xmlns:util="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/UtilExtension">
  <Fragment>
    <util:RegistrySearch Root="HKLM" Key="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DevDiv\VC\Servicing\9.0\RED\1033" Value="SP" Variable="vcredist" />
    <PackageGroup Id="vcredist">
      <ExePackage Id="vcredist_x86"
        Cache="no"
        Compressed="no"
        PerMachine="yes"
        Permanent="yes"
        Vital="yes"
        Name="Redist\vcredist_x86.exe"
        SourceFile="Redist\vcredist_x86.exe"
        DownloadUrl="$(var.vcredist_x86)"
        InstallCommand="/q"
        DetectCondition="vcredist AND (vcredist &gt;= 1)">
        <ExitCode Value ="3010" Behavior="forceReboot" />
      </ExePackage>
    </PackageGroup>
  </Fragment>
</Wix>

Neil

Hi, Hope someone can help me. I'm trying to install the Visual C++ redistributables file vcredist_x86.exe

[...]

Live Security Virtual Conference
Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware threats. http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/

Re: Install the Visual C++ redistributables file vcredist_x86.exe

Natalie Carr
Thank you very much, I'm using WIX 3.5 at the minute, Would u recommend
moving to 3.6?

Re: Install the Visual C++ redistributables file vcredist_x86.exe

Neil Sleightholm
I would if you need to install prereqs. (I think the release is only a few days away.)

Neil

Thank you very much, I'm using WIX 3.5 at the minute, Would u recommend moving to 3.6?

Re: Install the Visual C++ redistributables file vcredist_x86.exe

Sanjay Rao
I think you should use merge module of VCResdist.

On 8/29/2012 3:56 PM, Natalie Carr wrote:

> Hi, Hope someone can help me. I'm trying to install the Visual C++
> redistributables file vcredist_x86.exe
>

> I can't use merge modules as I've been asked to use this one EXE file. I
> added it to a bootstrapper using this code:
>
> <ItemGroup>
>
> <BootstrapperFile Include="Microsoft.Visual.C++.10.0.x86">
>
>    <ProductName>Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables</ProductName>
>
> </BootstrapperFile>
>
> </ItemGroup>
>

> <Target Name="AfterBuild">
>
> <GenerateBootstrapper ApplicationFile="$(TargetFileName)"
> ApplicationName="Server Setup" BootstrapperItems="@(BootstrapperFile)"
> ComponentsLocation="Relative" CopyComponents="True"
> OutputPath="$(OutputPath)" Path="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft
> SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bootstrapper\" />
>
> </Target>
>

> But this installs the prerequisites at the beginning and I have been asked
> to show our welcome dialog and then do a registry search to see if the
> appropriate files are installed. If they are not to call the
> vcredist_x86.exe file.
>

> Can this be done?
>
> I'm trying this but cannot get it to work.
>

>     <CustomAction Id="QtExecDeferredExampleWithProperty_Cmd"
> Property="QtExecDeferredExampleWithProperty"
> Value="&quot;[#vcredist_x86.exe]&quot;" Execute="immediate"/>
>
>      <CustomAction Id="QtExecDeferredExampleWithProperty" BinaryKey="WixCA"
> DllEntry="CAQuietExec" Execute="deferred" Return="check" Impersonate="no"/>
>

>      <InstallExecuteSequence>
>
>        <Custom Action="QtExecDeferredExampleWithProperty_Cmd"
> After="CostFinalize"/>
>
>        <Custom Action="QtExecDeferredExampleWithProperty"
> After="InstallInitialize"/>
>
>      </InstallExecuteSequence>
>

> Kind Regards,
>

> Natalie Carr

Sanjay Rao
Digital Media Group, Interra Systems
[hidden email]
http://www.interrasystems.com

Re: Install the Visual C++ redistributables file vcredist_x86.exe

Natalie Carr
Neil, I only have the one prereq. Burn has their own UI and I know you can
add yours from the MSI but it still shows the burn one. Is there any other
way than using burn?

I would if you need to install prereqs. (I think the release is only a few
days away.)

Neil

Thank you very much, I'm using WIX 3.5 at the minute, Would u recommend
moving to 3.6?

Re: Install the Visual C++ redistributables file vcredist_x86.exe

Sanjay Rao
including merge module of vcredist_x86 in your installer is the another way.

On 8/29/2012 7:03 PM, Natalie Carr wrote:

> Neil, I only have the one prereq. Burn has their own UI and I know you can
> add yours from the MSI but it still shows the burn one. Is there any other
> way than using burn?

As I said in my original question I can't use merge modules as I've been
asked to use this one EXE file. Trying to figure out a way to use it.
Thanks

including merge module of vcredist_x86 in your installer is the another way.

On 8/29/2012 7:03 PM, Natalie Carr wrote:

> Neil, I only have the one prereq. Burn has their own UI and I know you
> can add yours from the MSI but it still shows the burn one. Is there
> any other way than using burn?

Bruce Cran-2
On 29/08/2012 16:08, Natalie Carr wrote:
> As I said in my original question I can't use merge modules as I've been
> asked to use this one EXE file. Trying to figure out a way to use it.

I think this is one of those cases where you have to ask "why". Why are
they requiring you to use the .exe instead of the .msm?

--
Bruce Cran

Re: Install the Visual C++ redistributables file vcredist_x86.exe

Neil Sleightholm
No I don't think so, looks like using the merge module is your best option.

Neil, I only have the one prereq. Burn has their own UI and I know you can add yours from the MSI but it still shows the burn one. Is there any other way than using burn?

I would if you need to install prereqs. (I think the release is only a few days away.)

Neil

Thank you very much, I'm using WIX 3.5 at the minute, Would u recommend moving to 3.6?

Re: Install the Visual C++ redistributables file vcredist_x86.exe

sprezzatura
This post was updated on .
How are we supposed to figure out the obscure, buried URL to the latest VC Redistributable within the MS Website? Vg: What is the Visual Studio 2015 (14.0) equivalent of "http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/d/9/dd9a82d0-52ef-40db-8dab-795376989c03/vcredist_x86.exe "?

You can't get that by just copying the link on the MS Website.