Quantcast

Installer ignores cancellation

Rob Hamflett-2
I'm seeing a strange issue where it looks like I can't cancel an
installation during the last action before InstallFinalize in the
InstallExecuteSequence.

I have two deferred custom actions for updating VS 2008 and 2010
(running "devenv /setup /nosetupvstemplates") and they are scheduled
immediately before InstallFinalize.

When I see the progress text for the 2008 action I cancel the
installation.  The 2008 action takes some time to run so the installer
continues to show this text for a bit until it eventually rolls back and
aborts the installation.  If I do the same thing during the 2010 setup,
(which comes after the 2008 action and is the last thing before
InstallFinalize) then the cancel dialog still shows as normal, but this
time the installer will run to completion.

I re-ran the installer and opted not to install the 2010 support, so the
2010 action won't run.  This time when I cancel during the 2008 action,
the installer waits for the 2008 action to complete but this time the
installation completes instead of rolling back.

Does anyone have any insight into what's going on?

Thanks,
Rob

Re: Installer ignores cancellation

robmen
Custom actions can swallow the cancel message. If you look at the WiX
toolset's custom actions, we have wrappers for most of the MSI APIs and in
those wrappers, special handling ifa cancel is sent back. If you have an
install with custom actions where the cancel button is being lost, this is
often the issue.

The other issue is the Windows Installer may have sent the "Disable Cancel
button" message already. Clicking cancel after that point, of course, has
no effect.

virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC

Re: Installer ignores cancellation

Rob Hamflett-2
Hi Rob,

On 08/06/2012 16:25, Rob Mensching wrote:
> Custom actions can swallow the cancel message. If you look at the WiX
> toolset's custom actions, we have wrappers for most of the MSI APIs and in
> those wrappers, special handling ifa cancel is sent back. If you have an
> install with custom actions where the cancel button is being lost, this is
> often the issue.

Thanks, I'll download the source and poke around.

> The other issue is the Windows Installer may have sent the "Disable Cancel
> button" message already. Clicking cancel after that point, of course, has
> no effect.

Is there any documented info about this?  Is there anything I can look
up on MSDN or search for in the log?

Thanks,
Rob

> On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 6:39 AM, Rob Hamflett<[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> I'm seeing a strange issue where it looks like I can't cancel an
>> installation during the last action before InstallFinalize in the
>> InstallExecuteSequence.
>>
>> I have two deferred custom actions for updating VS 2008 and 2010
>> (running "devenv /setup /nosetupvstemplates") and they are scheduled
>> immediately before InstallFinalize.
>>
>> When I see the progress text for the 2008 action I cancel the
>> installation.  The 2008 action takes some time to run so the installer
>> continues to show this text for a bit until it eventually rolls back and
>> aborts the installation.  If I do the same thing during the 2010 setup,
>> (which comes after the 2008 action and is the last thing before
>> InstallFinalize) then the cancel dialog still shows as normal, but this
>> time the installer will run to completion.
>>
>> I re-ran the installer and opted not to install the 2010 support, so the
>> 2010 action won't run.  This time when I cancel during the 2008 action,
>> the installer waits for the 2008 action to complete but this time the
>> installation completes instead of rolling back.
>>
>> Does anyone have any insight into what's going on?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Rob

Re: Installer ignores cancellation

Wilson, Phil-2
This describes how to do it,  but I don't know how (or if) it shows up an MSI log:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa371614(v=vs.85).aspx  and scroll down to INSTALLMESSAGE_COMMONDATA.

On 08/06/2012 16:25, Rob Mensching wrote:
> Custom actions can swallow the cancel message. If you look at the WiX
> toolset's custom actions, we have wrappers for most of the MSI APIs
> and in those wrappers, special handling ifa cancel is sent back. If
> you have an install with custom actions where the cancel button is
> being lost, this is often the issue.

Thanks, I'll download the source and poke around.

> The other issue is the Windows Installer may have sent the "Disable
> Cancel button" message already. Clicking cancel after that point, of
> course, has no effect.

Is there any documented info about this?  Is there anything I can look up on MSDN or search for in the log?

Thanks,
Rob

> On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 6:39 AM, Rob Hamflett<[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> I'm seeing a strange issue where it looks like I can't cancel an
>> installation during the last action before InstallFinalize in the
>> InstallExecuteSequence.
>>
>> I have two deferred custom actions for updating VS 2008 and 2010
>> (running "devenv /setup /nosetupvstemplates") and they are scheduled
>> immediately before InstallFinalize.
>>
>> When I see the progress text for the 2008 action I cancel the
>> installation.  The 2008 action takes some time to run so the
>> installer continues to show this text for a bit until it eventually
>> rolls back and aborts the installation.  If I do the same thing
>> during the 2010 setup, (which comes after the 2008 action and is the
>> last thing before
>> InstallFinalize) then the cancel dialog still shows as normal, but
>> this time the installer will run to completion.
>>
>> I re-ran the installer and opted not to install the 2010 support, so
>> the
>> 2010 action won't run.  This time when I cancel during the 2008
>> action, the installer waits for the 2008 action to complete but this
>> time the installation completes instead of rolling back.
>>
>> Does anyone have any insight into what's going on?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Rob

>> ---------
>> Live Security Virtual Conference
>> threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond.
>> Discussions will include endpoint security, mobile security and the
>> latest in malware threats.
>> http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/

Live Security Virtual Conference
Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware threats. http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/

*** Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including any associated or attached files, is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This e-mail is confidential and may well also be legally privileged. If you have received it in error, you are on notice of its status. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from your system. Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes, or disclose its contents to any other person. This email comes from a division of the Invensys Group, owned by Invensys plc, which is a company registered in England and Wales with its registered office at 3rd Floor, 40 Grosvenor Place, London, SW1X 7AW (Registered number 166023). For a list of European legal entities within the Invensys Group, please go to http://www.invensys.com/en/legal/default.aspx.

You may contact Invensys plc on +44 (0)20 3155 1200 or e-mail [hidden email]. This e-mail and any attachments thereto may be subject to the terms of any agreements between Invensys (and/or its subsidiaries and affiliates) and the recipient (and/or its subsidiaries and affiliates).