Installing Microsoft Enterprise Library's merge module with Wix

Installing Microsoft Enterprise Library's merge module with Wix

Leigh Wetmore
Hello,

Has anyone tried to include Microsoft Enterprise Library's merge module (it
installs along with Enterprise Library) in a Wix project?  I've done so, but
where other merge modules work fine, the Enterprise Library merge module's
files always install to C:\, regardless of where in my directory hierarchy I
place the Merge element.  E.g.:

    <Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
      <Directory Id="$(var.PlatformProgramFilesFolder)">
        <Directory Id="INSTALLLOCATION" Name="!(loc.MyFolder)">
          <Directory Id="InstallerTest" Name="Installer Test">
            <Directory Id="Server" Name="Server Merge Module">
              <Merge Id="MMServer" Language="!(loc.Language)"
SourceFile="$(var.MMServer.TargetPath)" DiskId="1" />
            </Directory>
            <Directory Id="EntLib" Name="Enterprise Library Merge Module">
              *<Merge Id="EnterpriseLibraryBinaries"
Language="!(loc.Language)"
SourceFile="..\InstallerCommon\MergeModules\Enterprise Library 5.0 -
Binaries.msm" DiskId="1" />
*            </Directory>
          </Directory>
        </Directory>
      </Directory>
    </Directory>
    <Feature Id="InstallerTestFeature" Title="Installer Tester" Level="1"  >
      <MergeRef Id="MMServer" />
      <MergeRef Id="EnterpriseLibraryBinaries" />
    </Feature>
I used Orca to inspect the merge module, and all of the files are placed
directly in TARGETDIR (whereas the other merge modules I use tend to have
their files placed in a subfolder of TARGETDIR with Name="." - perhaps this
is the difference).  Or perhaps there is some property I need to set that
enterprise library expects - but that would be an enterprise library
question, and when asked they directed me here :)

Any help anyone can provide would be great!

Thanks,
Leigh

Re: Installing Microsoft Enterprise Library's merge module with Wix

Bob Arnson-6
On 08-Aug-11 12:30, Leigh Wetmore wrote:
> I used Orca to inspect the merge module, and all of the files are placed
> directly in TARGETDIR (whereas the other merge modules I use tend to have
> their files placed in a subfolder of TARGETDIR with Name="." - perhaps this
> is the difference).  Or perhaps there is some property I need to set that
> enterprise library expects - but that would be an enterprise library
> question, and when asked they directed me here :)

It's a bad merge module. It doesn't have a way of redirecting the files
to your app directory and it breaks best practices by putting a bunch of
PE files into a single component. Since there's no registration or
sharing, you'll get better authoring using Heat.

http://joyofsetup.com/

Re: Installing Microsoft Enterprise Library's merge module with Wix

Christopher Painter
Yup, this is yet another example of where merge modules get a bad rap because of how someone ( I won't mention the irony of who... )  uses them.   I almost never use 3rd party MSMs while I build hundreds of my own.

In the past we organized all the files from the enterprise ( there's 110+ if I recall ) into a series of merge modules to represent the various application blocks ( unity, logging, data access, et al ) and then created module dependencies between our assets and the blocks they required.   These were all then deployed privately to our application bin directory.

You could do the same thing with fragments.  We don't because we use InstallShield as our container instead of WiX.

---
Christopher Painter, Author of Deployment Engineering Blog
Have a hot tip, know a secret or read a really good thread that deserves attention? E-Mail Me