Installing outside ProgramFilesFolder

Gavin Bray
Hi

I have a requirement to use C:\MyApp as the default installation directory
rather than being user Program Files (x86).

I also give the user the opportunity to specify a different directory.

I'm using:

<Property Id="WIXUI_INSTALLDIR" Value="INSTALLFOLDER" />

<SetProperty Id="INSTALLFOLDER"  Value="[WindowsVolume]\MyApp"
Before="AppSearch"/>

<Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
  <Directory Id="ProgramFilesFolder">
    <Directory Id="INSTALLFOLDER" Name="MyApp">
At install time, the correct default directory of C:\MyApp is displayed
(assuming the Windows volume is C:).

However, if I specify a different directory (eg C:\MyApp2) during the setup
then the default C:\MyApp is still used.

How do I get this to work so that it defaults to C:\MyApp but the user
supplied directory, if specified, is used?

Thanks
Gavin

Re: Installing outside ProgramFilesFolder

Phil Wilson-2
It's hard to be specific, but it looks like the dialog you're using with its
BrowseFolder result is not propagating the user input to TARGETDIR or
INSTALLFOLDER.

Phil W

Re: Installing outside ProgramFilesFolder

Gavin Bray
If I use the following then the value specified by the user does get used.

<Property Id="WIXUI_INSTALLDIR" Value="INSTALLFOLDER" />

<Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
  <Directory Id="ProgramFilesFolder">
    <Directory Id="INSTALLFOLDER" Name="MyApp">

So, I assume it somehow is related to using

<SetProperty Id="INSTALLFOLDER"  Value="[WindowsVolume]\MyApp"
Before="AppSearch"/>

but I'm not sure how.

Any suggestions are most welcome.

Regards
Gavin
On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 5:20 AM, Phil Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's hard to be specific, but it looks like the dialog you're using with
> its
> BrowseFolder result is not propagating the user input to TARGETDIR or
> INSTALLFOLDER.
>
> Phil W

Hoover, Jacob
Try adding Sequence="ui" to your SetProperty element. I can't remember if AppSearch is executed twice.  The next question would be how would you allow a user to override this when installing with no UI, which I would suggest using the "remember me property pattern" Rob had blogged about a while back.

Another option from a quick search shows: http://kentie.net/article/wixtipstricks/

TARGETDIR and the system partition

When trying to install to a subdirectory of the system drive root (e.g. 'C:\application'), it might sense to assume that in something like

<Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
  <Directory Id="INSTALLLOCATION" Name="SetupProject1">
  </Directory>
</Directory>
TARGETDIR refers to the system partition, as ProgramFilesFolder is always given as a child of TARGETDIR. This is not the case; TARGETDIR is the partition with the most free disk space. It can even be a partition on an external hard drive. To set it to the true system partition, use the below approach:

<Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
  <Directory Id="WINDOWSVOLUME" >
    <Directory Id="INSTALLLOCATION" Name="SetupProject1">
    </Directory>
  </Directory>
</Directory>

<SetDirectory Id="WINDOWSVOLUME" Value="[WindowsVolume]"/>

If I use the following then the value specified by the user does get used.

<Property Id="WIXUI_INSTALLDIR" Value="INSTALLFOLDER" />

<Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
  <Directory Id="ProgramFilesFolder">
    <Directory Id="INSTALLFOLDER" Name="MyApp">

So, I assume it somehow is related to using

<SetProperty Id="INSTALLFOLDER"  Value="[WindowsVolume]\MyApp"
Before="AppSearch"/>

but I'm not sure how.

Any suggestions are most welcome.

Regards
Gavin
On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 5:20 AM, Phil Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's hard to be specific, but it looks like the dialog you're using
> with its BrowseFolder result is not propagating the user input to
> TARGETDIR or INSTALLFOLDER.
>
> Phil W

The Sequence="ui" did the trick. Thanks very much for your assistance.

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 8:02 AM, Hoover, Jacob
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Try adding Sequence="ui" to your SetProperty element. I can't remember if
> AppSearch is executed twice.  The next question would be how would you
> allow a user to override this when installing with no UI, which I would
> suggest using the "remember me property pattern" Rob had blogged about a
> while back.
>

> Another option from a quick search shows:
> http://kentie.net/article/wixtipstricks/
>
> TARGETDIR and the system partition
>
> When trying to install to a subdirectory of the system drive root (e.g.
> 'C:\application'), it might sense to assume that in something like
>

> <Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
>   <Directory Id="INSTALLLOCATION" Name="SetupProject1">
>   </Directory>
> </Directory>
> TARGETDIR refers to the system partition, as ProgramFilesFolder is always
> given as a child of TARGETDIR. This is not the case; TARGETDIR is the
> partition with the most free disk space. It can even be a partition on an
> external hard drive. To set it to the true system partition, use the below
> approach:
>

> <Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
>   <Directory Id="WINDOWSVOLUME" >
>     <Directory Id="INSTALLLOCATION" Name="SetupProject1">
>     </Directory>
>   </Directory>
> </Directory>
>
> <SetDirectory Id="WINDOWSVOLUME" Value="[WindowsVolume]"/>

The problem then becomes what is the expected result when your install is deployed via SCCM or similar tools, or simply invoke via a silent install.  In that case, your CA will never run. The second option I provided would allow for you to initialize a default location yet still allow a silent install to provide an override to INSTALLLOCATION if you use http://robmensching.com/blog/posts/2010/5/2/The-WiX-toolsets-Remember-Property-pattern.

<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Try adding Sequence="ui" to your SetProperty element. I can't remember
> if AppSearch is executed twice.  The next question would be how would
> you allow a user to override this when installing with no UI, which I
> would suggest using the "remember me property pattern" Rob had blogged
> about a while back.
>

> Another option from a quick search shows:
> http://kentie.net/article/wixtipstricks/
>
> TARGETDIR and the system partition
>
> When trying to install to a subdirectory of the system drive root (e.g.
> 'C:\application'), it might sense to assume that in something like
>

> <Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
>   <Directory Id="INSTALLLOCATION" Name="SetupProject1">
>   </Directory>
> </Directory>
> TARGETDIR refers to the system partition, as ProgramFilesFolder is
> always given as a child of TARGETDIR. This is not the case; TARGETDIR
> is the partition with the most free disk space. It can even be a
> partition on an external hard drive. To set it to the true system
> partition, use the below
> approach:
>

> <Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
>   <Directory Id="WINDOWSVOLUME" >
>     <Directory Id="INSTALLLOCATION" Name="SetupProject1">
>     </Directory>
>   </Directory>
> </Directory>
>
> <SetDirectory Id="WINDOWSVOLUME" Value="[WindowsVolume]"/>

Ok, thanks. I'll take a look at that.