Localization again

tsk

Localization again

tsk
Hi,

I've read through some of the localization threads but I have
the impression that localization is (only?) understood as a static
process, that means that I can create different MSIs each having a
different language GUI.
I would like to have ONE MSI with different languages where the
installation picks the correct language according to the localization
settings of the OS or user preference. Is this at all possible (with
MSI and WIX) and if yes, how?

Thomas

Re: Localization again

Bob Arnson-3
Thomas Krebs wrote:
> I've read through some of the localization threads but I have
> the impression that localization is (only?) understood as a static
> process, that means that I can create different MSIs each having a
> different language GUI.

That's right.

> I would like to have ONE MSI with different languages where the
> installation picks the correct language according to the localization
> settings of the OS or user preference. Is this at all possible (with
> MSI and WIX) and if yes, how?

MSI doesn't support multilanguage packages. The official recommendation
if you want to create one package supporting multiple languages is to
create a language-neutral package and have a bootstrapper/chainer apply
an appropriate language transform before launching the package. So
you'll have product.msi, setup.exe, and many langXXXX.mst transforms.

http://bobs.org