Quantcast

MSVC problem on Vista (no SP)

Michael Tissington
I have a problem when doing a major upgrade  on Vista (no service pack)

My install is using both MSVC 9.0 and 10.0 merge modules.
The first time my install runs it does install MSVC without any problems.
My upgrade package does a RemoveExistingProducts and then installs itself.
The problem is ONLY on Vista without service pack, on XP and Windows 7 my
package works correctly.

Is this a known issue with MSVC and Vista?
Is there a fix I can do in the install?

Thanks.

Re: MSVC problem on Vista (no SP)

Jeremy Farrell
You'd perhaps get a more useful answer if you told us what the problem is.

> From: Michael Tissington [mailto:[hidden email]]
>
> I have a problem when doing a major upgrade  on Vista (no
> service pack)
>
> My install is using both MSVC 9.0 and 10.0 merge modules.
> The first time my install runs it does install MSVC without
> any problems.
> My upgrade package does a RemoveExistingProducts and then
> installs itself.
> The problem is ONLY on Vista without service pack, on XP and
> Windows 7 my
> package works correctly.
>
> Is this a known issue with MSVC and Vista?
> Is there a fix I can do in the install?

Re: MSVC problem on Vista (no SP)

Michael Tissington
Oops :)

When doing a major upgrade on Vista without any service pack the VC merge
modules are uninstalled (in RemoveExistingProject) and not replaced by the
new package.

This only happens on Vista (no sp) all other OS it works as expected.

You'd perhaps get a more useful answer if you told us what the problem is.

> From: Michael Tissington [mailto:[hidden email]]
>
> I have a problem when doing a major upgrade  on Vista (no service
> pack)
>
> My install is using both MSVC 9.0 and 10.0 merge modules.
> The first time my install runs it does install MSVC without any
> problems.
> My upgrade package does a RemoveExistingProducts and then installs
> itself.
> The problem is ONLY on Vista without service pack, on XP and Windows 7
> my package works correctly.
>
> Is this a known issue with MSVC and Vista?
> Is there a fix I can do in the install?

Re: MSVC problem on Vista (no SP)

Pally Sandher
If you update to Windows Installer 4.5 is the same behaviour observed?

Why are you testing on Vista without any Service Packs installed anyway? There's a reason why Microsoft issue service packs for operating systems, this is one of them.

Palbinder Sandher
Software Deployment Engineer
T: +44 (0) 141 945 8500
F: +44 (0) 141 945 8501

http://www.iesve.com
**Design, Simulate + Innovate with the <Virtual Environment>**
Integrated Environmental Solutions Limited. Registered in Scotland No. SC151456
Registered Office - Helix Building, West Of Scotland Science Park, Glasgow G20 0SP
Email Disclaimer

You'd perhaps get a more useful answer if you told us what the problem is.

> From: Michael Tissington [mailto:[hidden email]]
>
> I have a problem when doing a major upgrade  on Vista (no service
> pack)
>
> My install is using both MSVC 9.0 and 10.0 merge modules.
> The first time my install runs it does install MSVC without any
> problems.
> My upgrade package does a RemoveExistingProducts and then installs
> itself.
> The problem is ONLY on Vista without service pack, on XP and Windows 7
> my package works correctly.
>
> Is this a known issue with MSVC and Vista?
> Is there a fix I can do in the install?

Re: MSVC problem on Vista (no SP)

Wilson, Phil-2
Sounds like this famous bug again. This applies to anything installed by Fusion, including the VC merge modules on Vista and above (in SxS).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905238

Phil Wilson

You'd perhaps get a more useful answer if you told us what the problem is.

> From: Michael Tissington [mailto:[hidden email]]
>
> I have a problem when doing a major upgrade  on Vista (no service
> pack)
>
> My install is using both MSVC 9.0 and 10.0 merge modules.
> The first time my install runs it does install MSVC without any
> problems.
> My upgrade package does a RemoveExistingProducts and then installs
> itself.
> The problem is ONLY on Vista without service pack, on XP and Windows 7
> my package works correctly.
>
> Is this a known issue with MSVC and Vista?
> Is there a fix I can do in the install?

*** Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including any associated or attached files, is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This e-mail is confidential and may well also be legally privileged. If you have received it in error, you are on notice of its status. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from your system. Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes, or disclose its contents to any other person. This email comes from a division of the Invensys Group, owned by Invensys plc, which is a company registered in England and Wales with its registered office at 3rd Floor, 40 Grosvenor Place, London, SW1X 7AW (Registered number 166023). For a list of European legal entities within the Invensys Group, please go to http://www.invensys.com/legal/default.asp?top_nav_id=77&nav_id=80&prev_id=77.

You may contact Invensys plc on +44 (0)20 3155 1200 or e-mail [hidden email]. This e-mail and any attachments thereto may be subject to the terms of any agreements between Invensys (and/or its subsidiaries and affiliates) and the recipient (and/or its subsidiaries and affiliates).