My NuGet package for WiX / discussion about plans for v4

My NuGet package for WiX / discussion about plans for v4

Alexander Köplinger
Hi!

First of all, congrats on your 3.9 release :)

I'm writing this to discuss what your plans are regarding a NuGet package for v4 (I know there's a feature request in your bug tracker for it).

I created this unofficial package (http://www.nuget.org/packages/WiX.Toolset) a while ago basically to suit my own needs, but it has gotten quite a lot of downloads, so I wanted to ask whether you want to take over the package ID when you're ready to launch the official package?

A quick peak into the source tree reveals that some code for a NuGet package (https://github.com/wixtoolset/wix4/tree/develop/src/Setup/Nuget/WixToolset.Tools) is already there, is that in a state to try it out?
I'm asking because I had to work around some bugs in earlier NuGet versions (that's why I set minClientVersion=2.7 in my nuspec) and VS/msbuild caching the .targets files causes a bit of a headache, so I recommend users restart VS after installing the package.

Would love to hear your thoughts,
Alex

Re: My NuGet package for WiX / discussion about plans for v4

Richard Mayes-2

Hi Alex,

Thanks for creating the NuGet package, I’ve found it really useful! J One thing I wondered about was the use of the install scripts to modify the wixproj files. Did you try using the nuget “build” folder to import the targets/props? IIRC when I’ve used this I don’t need to restart Visual Studio to get it to reload.

Richard Mayes

Developer

Advanced Health & Care

Unit 4 Eurogate Business Park, Ashford, Kent TN24 8SB

t: +44 (0) 1233 722700 f: +44 (0) 1233 722701

e: [hidden email]

www.advancedcomputersoftware.com/ahc

[...]

***** Email confidentiality *****

This message is private and confidential. If you have received this message in error, please notify us and remove it from your system. The dissemination, copying or distribution of this message, or related files, by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.

Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Advanced Health and Care Limited.

***** Email monitoring *****

Advanced Health and Care Limited may monitor email traffic data and also the content of email for the purposes of security and staff training.

***** Email security *****

In keeping with good computing practice, the recipient of this email should ensure that it is virus-free. Advanced Health and Care Limited does not accept responsibility for any virus that may be transferred by way of this email.

Email may be susceptible to data corruption, interception and/or unauthorised amendment. Advanced Health and Care Limited does not accept liability for any such corruption, interception or amendment or any consequences thereof.

This email has been scanned for viruses by the Symantec Email Security.cloud service.

Advanced Health and Care Limited, part of the Advanced Computer Software Group

Registered office: Munro House, Portsmouth Road, Cobham, Surrey KT11 1TF, United Kingdom

Registered in England under number 2939302

Please consider the environment: Think before you print!

Re: My NuGet package for WiX / discussion about plans for v4

Alexander Köplinger
Hey, glad you found it useful :)

Yes, I tried using the "build" folder, but it didn't work for reasons I can't remember right now. Maybe that has changed with newer NuGet versions, I'll need to try again. I'd really like to get rid of the install scripts as they're a constant source of pain.

-- Alex