Need help with uninstall - doesn't remove files/folders

Need help with uninstall - doesn't remove files/folders

victorwhiskey
This post was updated on .
Hello all, I'm having trouble with uninstalling my product after I do a minor upgrade.

So I test with installing my program and then uninstalling the program and that works fine. Then the next test is install the program (v.1.0.0.x) then do a minor upgrade (upgrade to v.1.0.2.y). That works fine. Next I try to uninstall the program. Here's where I run into my problem. The program gets removed from ARP making it seem like it's uninstalled, however, all directories and files still exist after the uninstall.

I've compared the logs and the difference I see is when it lists the components and their states, in the "good" log it says "...Request: Absent; Action: Absent" signifying a remove. However in the "bad" log it says " Request: Null, Action: Null" signifying no action.

The Product.wxs contains.

<Product Id="$(var.ProductCode)"
             Name="$(var.ProductName)"
             Language="1033"
             Version="!(bind.FileVersion.fil12413D1AEB784C72BBAD4277614C2F22)"
             Manufacturer="$(var.Manufacturer)"
             UpgradeCode="$(var.UpgradeCode)">

<MajorUpgrade AllowDowngrades="no"
                      AllowSameVersionUpgrades="yes"
                      Disallow="no"
                      DowngradeErrorMessage="A newer version of [ProductName] is already installed."
                      IgnoreRemoveFailure="no"
                      MigrateFeatures="yes"
                      Schedule="afterInstallInitialize"/>

I'm running this from a bundle using wix3.8 and will try to attach the logs.

Any help appreciated!

Thanksgood.log bad.log

Re: Need help with uninstall - doesn't remove files/folders

Nir Bar
You seem to have broken component rules for minor upgrades which caused feature states to be advertised rather than installed.

Try generating a patch package for the minor upgrade to get the validation errors.
Nir Bar
Freelance Developer
Mail: nir.bar@panel-sw.com
Web: www.panel-sw.com
- C++ On Windows, Linux and Embedded Platforms
- WiX & InstallShield

Re: Need help with uninstall

Did you use MSIENFORCEUPGRADECOMPONENTRULES?

http://robmensching.com/blog/posts/2007/1/4/doing-a-small-update-or-minor-upgrade-in-msi-use/

[...]

<http://windows-installer-xml-wix-toolset.687559.n2.nabble.com/file/n7600353/good.log>
bad.log
<http://windows-installer-xml-wix-toolset.687559.n2.nabble.com/file/n7600353/bad.log>