NuGet support for wixlibs, extensions

Heath Stewart-3
I was working on a couple of bugs for NuGet when I noticed a comment in the source about not supporting .wixproj because there's currently no way to add libraries to the project. That got me to thinking about a potential idea I wanted to run across the DL first and get some ideas and I can open a feature and corresponding WIP.

I would need to talk about a few details with the NuGet maintainers, but I was thinking that, much like net20, net40, net45, etc. folders, developers could add .wixlibs and .dll binary extensions to folder names like wix3 or wix4 and, when added, will add the appropriate references via WixLibrary or WixExtension items. This could make sharing libraries very easy among an organization, or even make composing bundles or packages easier if someone wanted to, say, pre-req or install some dependency package. You can do it through refs (and that wouldn't change), but this just makes it easier to add those refs and would work well with many build systems.

Heath Stewart
Software Design Engineer
Visual Studio, Microsoft
http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths

Re: NuGet support for wixlibs, extensions

John Cooper-2

Those would all be fine improvements.  It is certainly possible to add wixlibs.  It’s a little cludgy, but performance seems to have improved with VS 2013.

See http://borgsdemons.com/blog/2014/09/30/walk-through-of-creating-a-wix-wixlib-nuget-package/ and some earlier posts.

--

John Merryweather Cooper

Senior Software Engineer | Enterprise Service Applications | Continuing Development

Jack Henry & Associates, Inc.® | Lenexa, KS  66214 | Ext:  431050 |[hidden email]

Re: NuGet support for wixlibs, extensions

Yeah, this was discussed here and there before. I think it came down to someone just needs to do the work in NuGet.

FireGiant  |  Dedicated support for the WiX toolset  |  http://www.firegiant.com/

Re: NuGet support for wixlibs, extensions

Heath Stewart-3
I'm looking into it, but wondering about any details people might have in mind. For example, does the directory scheme below make sense?

Heath Stewart
Software Design Engineer
Visual Studio, Microsoft
http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 18:30:34 +0000
Subject: Re: [WiX-devs] NuGet support for wixlibs, extensions

[...]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Dive into the World of Parallel Programming! The Go Parallel Website, sponsored by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your hub for all things parallel software development, from weekly thought leadership blogs to news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more. Take a look and join the conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net

Re: NuGet support for wixlibs, extensions

Rob Mensching-7

“wix#” seems quite reasonable. Things should be backwards compatible on major version so we shouldn’t need minor version. If we do, I suppose we could add that later.

PS: I suppose there might be changes necessary to Votive as well but wouldn’t know much about that myself. Something to keep in mind.

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 18:30:34 +0000

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 18:30:34 +0000

Yeah, this was discussed here and there before. I think it came down to someone just needs to do the work in NuGet.

FireGiant  |  Dedicated support for the WiX toolset  |  http://www.firegiant.com/

Re: NuGet support for wixlibs, extensions

Heath Stewart-3
Re: Votive

Hopefully not. NuGet seems to just inject the proper items into the project, but I'll keep that in mind.

Sent from my Windows Phone

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 18:30:34 +0000