Optional command line arguments WIP updated

Optional command line arguments WIP updated

Bob Arnson-4

You can see the diff via pull request at https://github.com/wixtoolset/site/pull/50.

I’m strongly leaning toward the “package action variable.” It’s simple to implement and basically solves the problem adding this functionality to MsiProperty.

Feedback sought and welcomed.

FireGiant  |  Dedicated support for the WiX toolset  |  http://www.firegiant.com/

Re: Optional command line arguments WIP updated

Rob Mensching-7

I like this. I could really use a couple examples (sorry, “visualizing” changes is easiest way for me to understand)

So you are suggesting the following:

    <ExePackage RepairCommand=”” UnisntallCommand=”/uninstall”>

       <CommandLine InstallArgument=”/foo /bar”  RepairArgument=”/foo /bar”  Conditon=”VarX=1” />

       <CommandLine UninstallArgument=”/notfoo” Conditon=”VarY=9” />

    </ExePackage>

That would match our use of InstallCommand, RepairCommand, UninstallCommand and probably avoid the use of the WixBundleExecutePackageAction 90+% of the time.

If so, I *really* like this.

FireGiant  |  Dedicated support for the WiX toolset  |  http://www.firegiant.com/

I’m strongly leaning toward the “package action variable.” It’s simple to implement and basically solves the problem adding this functionality to MsiProperty.

Feedback sought and welcomed.

FireGiant  |  Dedicated support for the WiX toolset  |  http://www.firegiant.com/

Re: Optional command line arguments WIP updated

Hoover, Jacob

The way I read it was

    <ExePackage RepairCommand=”” UninstallCommand=”/uninstall”>

       <CommandLine OnInstall=”yes” OnRepair=”yes” Conditon=”VarX=1”>/foo /bar</CommandLine>

       <CommandLine OnUninstall=”yes” Conditon=”VarY=9”>/notfoo</CommandLine>

    </ExePackage>

I’m strongly leaning toward the “package action variable.” It’s simple to implement and basically solves the problem adding this functionality to MsiProperty.

Feedback sought and welcomed.

FireGiant  |  Dedicated support for the WiX toolset  |  http://www.firegiant.com/

Re: Optional command line arguments WIP updated

Bob Arnson-4

You’re both wrong. J I wanted to use WixBundleExecutePackageAction instead of On* attributes so each CommandLine instance was just argument and condition. That said, Rob’s proposed authoring looks awesome. And I think it’s not much more complex than what I was thinking of.

Unless someone objects, I’m going with that (and will update the WIP to match).

FireGiant  |  Dedicated support for the WiX toolset  |  http://www.firegiant.com/

I’m strongly leaning toward the “package action variable.” It’s simple to implement and basically solves the problem adding this functionality to MsiProperty.

Feedback sought and welcomed.

FireGiant  |  Dedicated support for the WiX toolset  |  http://www.firegiant.com/

I’m strongly leaning toward the “package action variable.” It’s simple to implement and basically solves the problem adding this functionality to MsiProperty.

Feedback sought and welcomed.

FireGiant  |  Dedicated support for the WiX toolset  |  http://www.firegiant.com/

Re: Optional command line arguments WIP updated

Bob Arnson-4

That’s phase 2, mostly because I’m still thinking about whether we could have attributes on MsiProperty kinda like {Install|Uninstall|Repair}Argument. Adding just Condition is still a win, though, so I’ll start with that. That comes after ExePackage/CommandLine, however.

Phill Hogland
I appreciate this discussion and effort.  I hope you don't mind me piointing out a related issue here.

Re: Optional command line arguments WIP updated

Rob Mensching-7
Unfortunately, not related at all. That is a completely independent feature. Adding grouping things is generally a "harder" problem.

 FireGiant  |  Dedicated support for the WiX toolset  |  http://www.firegiant.com/