Payload path

Don Reba
I am using Wix 3.6 Burn to install an Adobe Air application. The way it
works is that I call Adobe's arh.exe tool with the path to the app.air file
to install. I use an ExePackage element for arh.exe and a Payload element
for app.air. Now I need the full path to payload. How do I retrieve it?

A relative path would also have worked, except that the working folder is
set to installer's location.

<ExePackage
    SourceFile = "arh.exe"
    InstallCommand = "-installAppSilent [Payload path goes here]"
    UninstallCommand = "-uninstallAppSilent MyApp"
    PerMachine = "yes"

    <Payload
        SourceFile = "MyApp.air"
        Compressed = "yes"
        />
</ExePackage>

Re: Payload path

robmen
There is a bug tracking that feature request.

On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 7:10 PM, Don Reba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am using Wix 3.6 Burn to install an Adobe Air application. The way it
> works is that I call Adobe's arh.exe tool with the path to the app.air file
> to install. I use an ExePackage element for arh.exe and a Payload element
> for app.air. Now I need the full path to payload. How do I retrieve it?
>
> A relative path would also have worked, except that the working folder is
> set to installer's location.
>
> <ExePackage
>     SourceFile = "arh.exe"
>     InstallCommand = "-installAppSilent [Payload path goes here]"
>     UninstallCommand = "-uninstallAppSilent MyApp"
>     PerMachine = "yes"
>     >
>     <Payload
>         SourceFile = "MyApp.air"
>         Compressed = "yes"
>         />
> </ExePackage>

virtually,

   Rob Mensching
   http://RobMensching.com LLC

Re: Payload path

Don Reba
Thanks. Is there a straightforward way of doing this using current
functionality?

"Rob Mensching"  wrote in message
news:CAHdHTVeT_cHdxDmtPm_1PCLioL9nydOGajHDvDFLhbaKXhR=[hidden email]...

There is a bug tracking that feature request.

On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 7:10 PM, Don Reba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am using Wix 3.6 Burn to install an Adobe Air application. The way it
> works is that I call Adobe's arh.exe tool with the path to the app.air
> file
> to install. I use an ExePackage element for arh.exe and a Payload element
> for app.air. Now I need the full path to payload. How do I retrieve it?
>
> A relative path would also have worked, except that the working folder is
> set to installer's location.
>
> <ExePackage
>     SourceFile = "arh.exe"
>     InstallCommand = "-installAppSilent [Payload path goes here]"
>     UninstallCommand = "-uninstallAppSilent MyApp"
>     PerMachine = "yes"
>     >
>     <Payload
>         SourceFile = "MyApp.air"
>         Compressed = "yes"
>         />
> </ExePackage>

Re: Payload path

Don Reba
My solution to this problem was to write a helper executable that launched
whatever command it was given as an argument within the folder in which it
was placed.

<ExePackage
    SourceFile       = "$(var.Launcher.TargetPath)"
    InstallCommand   = 'arh.exe "-installAppSilent MyApp.air"'
    UninstallCommand = 'arh.exe "-uninstallAppSilent MyApp"'
    PerMachine       = "yes"
    Vital            = "yes"

    <Payload SourceFile = "arh.exe"   Compressed = "yes" />
    <Payload SourceFile = "MyApp.air" Compressed = "yes" />
</ExePackage>

Re: Payload path

toddk042
just an FYI, I know this is a really old thread, but I came across it on nabble while trying to figure this out, so for anyone else landing here, as of at least 3.11, there is now a wix variable you can use to get the payload path, so no custom action needed, WixBundleExecutePackageCacheFolder
Here is an example of me using it with an ExePackage: (also note & quot; this folder may have spaces in it, so you need to wrap it in quotes)

 <ExePackage Name="Zebra_CoreScanner_Driver_(64bit)_v3.00.0003.exe" Id="ZebraBarcodeScanner" SourceFile="Resources\Zebra_CoreScanner_Driver_(64bit)_v3.00.0003.exe"
                  PerMachine="yes"
                  DetectCondition="SCANNERINSTALLED = 1"
                  InstallCommand="/s -f1&quot;[WixBundleExecutePackageCacheFolder]setup.iss&quot;"
                  UninstallCommand="/s -f1&quot;[WixBundleExecutePackageCacheFolder]uninstall.iss&quot;"
                  DisplayName="Zebra Barcode Scanner"

        <Payload Name="setup.iss" SourceFile="Resources\setup.iss" Id="ZebraCoreSetupisss" />
        <Payload Name="uninstall.iss" SourceFile="Resources\uninstall.iss" Id="ZebraCoreuninstalliss" />
</ExePackage>