Quantcast

Prompting for user input (SQL Server instance/database)?

Prompting for user input (SQL Server instance/database)?

Jerra
My server software uses SQL Server 2008 Express. It expects SQL Server
2008 Express already installed and running.
Using a registry key containing the SQL Server name my server software
connects to the SQL Server. For example "PRODSERVER\SQLEXPRESS".

What is the absolutely simplest/fastest way of implementing a solution
that enables the person doing the installation to specify the SQL Server
name and then storing the value in the registry?

I do not need to list available SQL Servers nor test the value
specified, it is assumed the person doing the installation
knows/understands what to specify.

Any help greatly appreciated,
Jerra

Visual Studio 2010 Professional
WiX 3.5
Programming in C#  /.NET 4.0

Re: Prompting for user input (SQL Server instance/database)?

robmen
Use the Remember Property Pattern (
http://robmensching.com/blog/posts/2010/5/2/The-WiX-toolsets-Remember-Property-pattern)
and add a custom dialog to with an edit box to provide the value up front

virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC

Re: Prompting for user input (SQL Server instance/database)?

Jerra
Thank you for the information, I will try that.

/Jerra