Quantcast

Question on using burn to our existing project

Question on using burn to our existing project

Shyam Kannam
Hi,
I still consider myself a beginner in using WiX.  I've a requirement for
the installer to automatically detect, download and install the latest .NET
Framework.

After going through the latest WiX release (RC), I read about the burn
feature by Bob.  My guess is burn is the right tool, but I've other
questions.  Appreciate your help.

1. Does adding burn to our existing WiX project, do we need to make any
additional changes to WiX UI? - project uses WixUI_Common, WixUI_Mondo,
WixUI_ErrorProgressText.

2. Could you please suggest if burn is indeed the right step for the above
requirement?

thank you in advance.

Regards
Shyam

Re: Question on using burn to our existing project

Neil Sleightholm
1. No. Typically burn provides the UI so your existing UI is not used, although you can display it if you need to. If you need a rich UI then this is probably the easiest option as although burn can support your own UI it is not an easy process.
2. Definitely.

Neil

Neil Sleightholm
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

On 7 Jun 2012, at 23:04, Shyam Kannam wrote:

Hi,
I still consider myself a beginner in using WiX.  I've a requirement for
the installer to automatically detect, download and install the latest .NET
Framework.

After going through the latest WiX release (RC), I read about the burn
feature by Bob.  My guess is burn is the right tool, but I've other
questions.  Appreciate your help.

1. Does adding burn to our existing WiX project, do we need to make any
additional changes to WiX UI? - project uses WixUI_Common, WixUI_Mondo,
WixUI_ErrorProgressText.

2. Could you please suggest if burn is indeed the right step for the above
requirement?

thank you in advance.

Regards
Shyam

Re: Question on using burn to our existing project

Ravi Raj
Do you have some guide or tutorial to use burn rightfully, especially using
the UI of burn and WiX UI simultaneously?

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Neil Sleightholm <[hidden email]>wrote:

> 1. No. Typically burn provides the UI so your existing UI is not used,
> although you can display it if you need to. If you need a rich UI then this
> is probably the easiest option as although burn can support your own UI it
> is not an easy process.
> 2. Definitely.
>
> Neil
>
> Neil Sleightholm
> [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
>

> On 7 Jun 2012, at 23:04, Shyam Kannam wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I still consider myself a beginner in using WiX.  I've a requirement for
> the installer to automatically detect, download and install the latest .NET
> Framework.
>
> After going through the latest WiX release (RC), I read about the burn
> feature by Bob.  My guess is burn is the right tool, but I've other
> questions.  Appreciate your help.
>
> 1. Does adding burn to our existing WiX project, do we need to make any
> additional changes to WiX UI? - project uses WixUI_Common, WixUI_Mondo,
> WixUI_ErrorProgressText.
>
> 2. Could you please suggest if burn is indeed the right step for the above
> requirement?
>
> thank you in advance.
>
> Regards
> Shyam

Thanks and Regards,
Ravi Raj
Ravi

Burn documentation is still a bit scarce at the moment. I have written up some notes based on my experience http://neilsleightholm.blogspot.co.uk/. Using both UIs is simply a case of setting MsiPackage/@DisplayInternalUI="yes" but I don't think this is the tidiest solution.

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Neil Sleightholm <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>wrote:

1. No. Typically burn provides the UI so your existing UI is not used,
although you can display it if you need to. If you need a rich UI then this
is probably the easiest option as although burn can support your own UI it
is not an easy process.
2. Definitely.

Neil

Neil Sleightholm
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]><mailto:[hidden email]>

[...]

I am also have a doubt, I am using OS condition in BURN as this:

 <Bundle Name="Name" Version="$(var.Version)" Manufacturer="Company"
UpgradeCode="E688ECFE-A468-4B65-85C4-B4D9B384375C"
    Copyright="Copyright© 2012" IconSourceFile="Resource\Setup.ico"
    SplashScreenSourceFile="Resource\SplashScreen.bmp"
    AboutUrl="http://www.xxxxx.com"
    Condition="((VersionNT >= 600) AND (ServicePackLevel >= 2)) OR
((VersionNT >= 610) AND (ServicePackLevel >= 1)) OR (VersionNT >= 620)" >

But i am getting "The specified program requires a newer version of
Windows." at the very beginning..
Even (VersionNT >= v6.0) is also not working.

How to fix this?

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 2:33 PM, Neil Sleightholm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Burn documentation is still a bit scarce at the moment. I have written up
> some notes based on my experience http://neilsleightholm.blogspot.co.uk/.
> Using both UIs is simply a case of setting
> MsiPackage/@DisplayInternalUI="yes" but I don't think this is the tidiest
> solution.
>
> Neil
>
> Neil Sleightholm
> [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
>

> On 8 Jun 2012, at 09:43, Ravi Raj wrote:
>
> Do you have some guide or tutorial to use burn rightfully, especially using
> the UI of burn and WiX UI simultaneously?
>
> On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Neil Sleightholm <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>wrote:
>
> 1. No. Typically burn provides the UI so your existing UI is not used,
> although you can display it if you need to. If you need a rich UI then this
> is probably the easiest option as although burn can support your own UI it
> is not an easy process.
> 2. Definitely.
>
> Neil
>
> Neil Sleightholm
> [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]><mailto:[hidden email]>
>

> On 7 Jun 2012, at 23:04, Shyam Kannam wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I still consider myself a beginner in using WiX.  I've a requirement for
> the installer to automatically detect, download and install the latest .NET
> Framework.
>
> After going through the latest WiX release (RC), I read about the burn
> feature by Bob.  My guess is burn is the right tool, but I've other
> questions.  Appreciate your help.
>
> 1. Does adding burn to our existing WiX project, do we need to make any
> additional changes to WiX UI? - project uses WixUI_Common, WixUI_Mondo,
> WixUI_ErrorProgressText.
>
> 2. Could you please suggest if burn is indeed the right step for the above
> requirement?
>
> thank you in advance.
>
> Regards
> Shyam

> Thanks and Regards,
> Ravi Raj

Thanks and Regards,
Ravi Raj
Ravi

Re: Question on using burn to our existing project

Neil Sleightholm
The correct syntax is to use v6.0, v6.1 etc rather than 600, 610. Check the install log when you run to see what the values are.

<mailto:[hidden email]>>wrote:

1. No. Typically burn provides the UI so your existing UI is not used,
although you can display it if you need to. If you need a rich UI then this
is probably the easiest option as although burn can support your own UI it
is not an easy process.
2. Definitely.

Neil

Neil Sleightholm
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]><mailto:[hidden email]><mailto:[hidden email]>

[...]

Condition="((VersionNT >= v6.0) AND (ServicePackLevel >= 2)) OR ((VersionNT
>= v6.1) AND (ServicePackLevel >= 1)) OR (VersionNT >= v6.2)"
is working perfect.

But can I add custom message to this condition launch??

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Neil Sleightholm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Neil
>
> Neil Sleightholm
> [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]><mailto:[hidden email]
> ><mailto:[hidden email]>
>

> On 7 Jun 2012, at 23:04, Shyam Kannam wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I still consider myself a beginner in using WiX.  I've a requirement for
> the installer to automatically detect, download and install the latest .NET
> Framework.
>
> After going through the latest WiX release (RC), I read about the burn
> feature by Bob.  My guess is burn is the right tool, but I've other
> questions.  Appreciate your help.
>
> 1. Does adding burn to our existing WiX project, do we need to make any
> additional changes to WiX UI? - project uses WixUI_Common, WixUI_Mondo,
> WixUI_ErrorProgressText.
>
> 2. Could you please suggest if burn is indeed the right step for the above

Thanks and Regards,
Ravi Raj
Ravi

Re: Question on using burn to our existing project

Ravi Raj
Again can I make this installer dialog to appear in the center of screen?

--
Thanks and Regards,
Ravi Raj