Quantcast

RE: Best way to handle creating Merge Modules for 3rd Party software

RE: Best way to handle creating Merge Modules for 3rd Party software

Rob Mensching
What issues did you have using the WiX toolset pulling in Merge Modules?  We
should be able to help figure out what is wrong with Merge Modules such that
the WiX toolset can include them... and maybe fix a WiX toolset bug or two.

RE: Best way to handle creating Merge Modules for 3rd Party software

Subbu Balakrishnan
I based my .Wxs file on the example supplied with WiX that deals with Merge
Modules. Result: some files didn't install correctly. I expect this may have
to do with SelfReg. Alexei was kind enough to point out some changes that
need to be made to the .wxs file. Haven't tested this yet. So I guess I am
not ready to call it a WiX bug yet ...

What issues did you have using the WiX toolset pulling in Merge Modules?  We
should be able to help figure out what is wrong with Merge Modules such that
the WiX toolset can include them... and maybe fix a WiX toolset bug or two.

indeed,  BusinessObjects  never  released  MSMs  for Crystal Reports 8.5.
There is a tech
document  with  the  Developer  version of the application that tells you
which files/DLLs
should  be  installed  and to which directories under certain conditions.
Then it's up to
you  to either create MSM or just code in things into your MSI.  That's what
I did.  Apply
SP3  on  your  development  computer and then get those updated files while
authoring your
MSM/MSI.

Now I am on Crystal Reports XI (11) and they (BusinessObjects do release
merge modules for
that   product,   updated  and  available from them to registered users).
That run-time is
compatible with older versions of reports.  But if your customer decided to
install report
authoring  application  on  computer  with  latest run-time it better be
latest version of
Crystal  Reports.   Also, Crystal Reports 11 MSMs REQUIRE SelfReg turned on.

> I'm stuck in a situation and I wanted to know how you recommend handling
> this.  I have an application that uses Crystal Reports 8.5 SP3.  I need
> to distribute the said application and the problem I have is that no one
> (read: Crystal Reports, Installshield, Microsoft, or any other company
> that I can see) released a set of Merge Modules for SP3.  I have created
> my own Merge Module for CR85SP3 and have included this in the past when
> trying to redistribute our application.

> I know creating Merge Modules for 3rd party applications is greatly
> frowned upon but I'm not really sure what other options I have available
> to me except to change the existing application to only use an older
> version of Crystal Reports (which doesn't sound like a good idea to
> me).  Conversely I don't think I can upgrade the application to use the
> latest version of Crystal Reports which is now on version 11.

> Any thoughts?  Should I continue in my ways by using my own custom merge
> module or is there some other method that would be good to take?

> Thanks!

> Jon

Best regards,
 Alexei