RE. Multilanguage bundle

Branko Horvat
This is what Bundle's log sais:

Error 0x8007006e: Failed to load loc file from path:  ...  \.ba1\1031\thm.wxl
Error 0x8007006e: Failed to initialize data in bootstrapper application.

BR,
Branko

Re: RE. Multilanguage bundle

Blair Murri-3
Did you include a thm.wxl file in a payload in the 1031 folder in your bundle authoring?

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 10:10:30 +0000
> Subject: [WiX-users] RE. Multilanguage bundle
>
> This is what Bundle's log sais:
>
> Error 0x8007006e: Failed to load loc file from path:  ...  \.ba1\1031\thm.wxl
> Error 0x8007006e: Failed to initialize data in bootstrapper application.
>
> BR,
> Branko

Re: RE. Multilanguage bundle

Phill Hogland
This post was updated on .
In my experiments, I observed the "Failed to load loc file from path:  ...  \.ba1\1031\thm.wxl" when I edited my German thm.wxl incorrectly or if I copy a English .wxl file (like RtfTheme.wxl) to my 1031 folder, and add a Payload element, but do not edit the culture, language, and code page attributes properly for the specific language (1031 in this case).
 <Payload Id="theme_de_de" Compressed="yes"  Name="1031\thm.wxl" SourceFile="Resources\1031\QDthm_de_de.wxl"/>

Note the Payload/@Name must be "1031\thm.wxl" (or lcid\thm.exe for other languages).

<WixLocalization Culture="de-de"
                 Codepage="1252"
                 Language="1031"
                 xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/localization">

RE. Multilanguage bundle

Branko Horvat

It must have been something with copy&paste. Now it works. Thx.
So, in WiX3.7 it is not possible yet to use detected language automatically?

BR,
Branko

Re: RE. Multilanguage bundle

Phill Hogland
This post was updated on .
Well I was told that there is a bug that affects this issue in WiX 3.7 (which you can resolve by adding the WixExtendedBootstrapperApplication from http://wixextba.codeplex.com/releases/view/105895) or by switching to WiX 3.8.  My development box is configured so that by changing an environment variable I can switch between using Wix 3.7 and 3.8.  This weekend I switched back to Wix 3.7 and created a small multilanguage test project (without using the Extended BA) and it does automatically detect between German and English using 3.7.  So now I am not sure about the report of the bug as I have now switched all of my projects back to Wix 3.7.  The tests of multiple languages worked for me so I handed the project to my QA group to test in more scenarios.

Re: RE. Multilanguage bundle

Branko Horvat
Phil, thx for your guidance so far.

In WiX3.7 I manage to build setup.exe and run it with or without -lang 1031. So I can see English and German draft version. Now I wanted to get to auto detection on running setup.exe. So I downloaded the WixBalExtensionExt.dll. I used that in candle.exe (WixBalExtensionExt) and light.exe. In my .wxs I only changed the ...Standard... to ...Extension... I left .RtfLicense. I build it no problem. So as my native language is de - austrian german), I should see German version, but it is the same. I get it only with adding -lang 1031.
I also downloaded your two .exe files seen in the previous post and it does run german version already from the start. What am I doing wrong. I am not using .HyperlinkLicense only .RtfLicense as before.

BR

<WixVariable Id="WixStdbaThemeWxl" Value="$(var.ResourceFolder)\thm.wxl"/>

<BootstrapperApplicationRef Id='WixExtendedBootstrapperApplication.RtfLicense'>
      <bal:WixExtendedBootstrapperApplication LicenseFile='$(var.ResourceFolder)\Eula.rtf' LogoFile='$(var.ResourceFolder)\Logo.png' SuppressOptionsUI='yes'/>
      <Payload Id="thm-de" Compressed="yes" Name="1031\thm.wxl" SourceFile="$(var.ResourceFolder)\1031\thm.wxl"/>

</BootstrapperApplicationRef>

Re: RE. Multilanguage bundle

Phill Hogland
I thought I had the 3.7.1224 with the WiXExtendedBootstraperApplication.RtfLicense stuff working in the test package that I uploaded to another thread.  Folks in that thread said that it did not work for them, so I went back to the same project again and when I compile it under Wix 3.7.1224 with the WixBalExtendedExt.dll added to the 3.7 bin folder, I also cannot get it to auto detect the language.  I reworked the code to conform to the Bundle5 and Bundle11 examples on the http://wixextba.codeplex.com/ site, but I still cannot get it to work.

For my project I converted it to Wix 3.8.722 with seven languages and so far it auto detects a supported language.

For Wix 3.7.1224 with the WixBalExtendedExt.dll, I can see using ProcessMon (and in looking at the ba1 folder while the setup is running) that it created both the 1031 and 1033 subfolders and included the appropriate wxl and RTF files, but it then selects the 1033 files on a system where both System and User defaults are reported by Wix to be set to 1031.

So I understand the frustration but can't advise on a solution.  If you want to use the Extended BA then I suggest building the samples that came with it and using ProcessMon to watch those samples (which is what I will do when I get a free moment).

Phill

Re: RE. Multilanguage bundle

Branko Horvat
Hi,

Ok, I'll try also the WiX3.8 to see how it works with language detection.
Namely, I looked at the examples (though I haven't built them yet) of Extended BA and made accordingly but still auto language detection doesn't work.

I also wanted to use localized Eula.rtf with Extended BA but unsuccessfully. It said there must be something wrong with the file Eula.rtf.

I tried to reference the localization so:
<Payload Id="License" Compressed="yes" Name="1031\License.rtf" SourceFile="$(var.ResourceFolder)\1031\Eula.rtf"/>

I tried different names (analogue to thm.wxl: License.rtf, LicenseFile.rtf etc.). I looked for it in the WixStandardBootstrapperApplication.cpp for expected name, but couldn't figure it out.
Bundle11.wxs gives some hint but I was not successful.

On the one hand we have Payloads and on the ohter WixVariable elements. Hm?

I hope that switching to WiX3.8 really resolves my issue (simple uncomplicated installer with MsiPackage conditions only).

I hope someone can help me with the License.rtf localization in Extended BA.

Regards

Re: RE. Multilanguage bundle

Branko Horvat
Hi,
I installed WiX3.8 and it did autodetect German language.
BR,
Branko