Quantcast

RE: Stopping SQL service and sca.wixlib

Rob Mensching
K and I have discussed how to get the Server CustomActions to allow their
sequences to be overridden.  I think that Feature Request is already open.
Until that is done, you can just build a custom sca.wixlib form sources in
wix\src\ca\serverca\setup\sca.wxs to schedule the actions where you want.

Re[2]: Stopping SQL service and sca.wixlib

Alexei Boukirev
I  ended up with a custom action that both starts the instance (I have a dialog in the GUI
for  a  user  to  select  from  the list/drop-down box of instances available on the local
computer), connects with trusted security setting, and unloads ODS dll.  It also picks the
path  where  to install ODS DLLs for the instance in question.  A lot of work, and all has
to  be done before any file copying occurs.  Works fine.  By starting the instance/service
in CA I also ensure that it's running when ConfigureSql is executed.  So it all plays well
this  way.   It  does  uninstall correctly too.  So I am now satisfied with how things are
currently.

I gave it some thought and it seems like several scenarios are possible with executing SQL
scripts  during  install/uninstall/upgrade.   I  also wonder if it would make sense to add
<Condition>  as  a  child  to  <SqlString> and <SqlScript>, although this might be handled
by placing those in <Component>s and adding <Condition> to those.

--
Best regards,
 Alexei