RE: WiX history files?

Rob Mensching
No, historically I've relied on the history in CVS.  However, now that you
mention it, I think it would be easier to keep everything in sync if we
wrote the list of changes in a separate file.  Certainly would be easier to
find that way.

Derek, what do you think?  Can we keep some extra bookkeeping in an
additional file (like \history.txt)?

Re: WiX history files?

DEÁK JAHN, Gábor-2
On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 08:45:21 -0700, Rob Mensching wrote:

Rob,

> No, historically I've relied on the history in CVS.  However, now
> that you mention it, I think it would be easier to keep everything
> in sync if we wrote the list of changes in a separate file.

The reason I'm asking is because the attributes and values change from time to time and I'd need to modify the tutorial accordingly. But it's not really viable to browse the whole schema from version to version to find out what has been changed.

Regards,

   Gabor DEAK JAHN

RE: WiX history files?

Fredrik Grohn-2
A ReleaseNotes.txt included in the downloadable zip-files would be a good
idea IMHO. Those notes could easily be placed under the entry for each
release on the web site as well. I meant to place a "notes" section under
each release on the web page initially, but that code is currently commented
out.

Fred

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 08:45:21 -0700, Rob Mensching wrote:

Rob,

> No, historically I've relied on the history in CVS.  However, now
> that you mention it, I think it would be easier to keep everything
> in sync if we wrote the list of changes in a separate file.

The reason I'm asking is because the attributes and values change from time
to time and I'd need to modify the tutorial accordingly. But it's not really
viable to browse the whole schema from version to version to find out what
has been changed.

Regards,

   Gabor DEAK JAHN

RE: RE: WiX history files?

Derek Cicerone
What granularity do you want here?  Do you want to see the individual
internal checkins?  Do you want a rollup of checkins per external build?  I
would know how to do that for our internal source management system but not
for CVS.

Please give some specifics about what is needed in a feature request (since
I'm trying to solely work based off of bugs and feature requests since there
are currently so many of each).

Thanks,
Derek

RE: RE: WiX history files?

Rob Mensching
What I'm thinking is that every time we check-in, our check-in comments get
added to a "history.txt" file.  Really, just the comment from the check-in
would be enough, I expect.

The Windows Installer team has done this since the beginning of time and it
always seemed like overhead to me.  However, I've watched Carolyn find
things far faster in that text file than searching back through the history
in the source control system.

Doing this would also improve our tracking of individual check-ins through
out the push process.

It is a small bit of overhead but I think it would prove to be worth it for
everyone (except maybe those that watch every single check-in closely, like
you and I, Derek).

That's what I was thinking anyway.

RE: WiX history files?

Rob Mensching
Understood... note that for WiX v2 we're planning no schema changes.  I
truly hope they are behind us for WiX v2.

Derek has plans for WiX v3 where he wants to change the schema in small
ways... but that is a ways away.

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 08:45:21 -0700, Rob Mensching wrote:

Rob,

> No, historically I've relied on the history in CVS.  However, now
> that you mention it, I think it would be easier to keep everything
> in sync if we wrote the list of changes in a separate file.

The reason I'm asking is because the attributes and values change from time
to time and I'd need to modify the tutorial accordingly. But it's not really
viable to browse the whole schema from version to version to find out what
has been changed.

Regards,

   Gabor DEAK JAHN

RE: WiX history files?

Derek Cicerone
Cuz you're holding me back -  I've had those 3.0 schema changes ready for a
month ;-)

D e r e k

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 08:45:21 -0700, Rob Mensching wrote:

Rob,

> No, historically I've relied on the history in CVS.  However, now
> that you mention it, I think it would be easier to keep everything
> in sync if we wrote the list of changes in a separate file.

The reason I'm asking is because the attributes and values change from time
to time and I'd need to modify the tutorial accordingly. But it's not really
viable to browse the whole schema from version to version to find out what
has been changed.

Regards,

   Gabor DEAK JAHN

Re: WiX history files?

DEÁK JAHN, Gábor-2
On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 23:20:59 -0700, Derek Cicerone wrote:

Derek,

> What granularity do you want here?

As for me, nothing of the kind. Just sentences in a file, something like that: "New attribute 'hidden' added to Feature/Display."

Regards,

   Gabor DEAK JAHN