Re[2]: Best way to handle creating Merge Modules for 3rd Party software

Re[2]: Best way to handle creating Merge Modules for 3rd Party software

Alexei Boukirev
Hello Subbu,

I  had  no  other  issues  with these merge modules.  You do need (sequence numbers are MS
recommended):
    <InstallExecuteSequence>
      <SelfRegModules Sequence="5600" />
      <SelfUnregModules Sequence="2200" />
      <ScheduleReboot Sequence="6410" />
    </InstallExecuteSequence>

It requires reboot to function properly.

I used that with an older version of WiX.  Have not tried to rebuild it wit latest.

Typically you need just two MSMs:
   <Merge Id="MRG_CRRTIME" Language="1033" DiskId="1" src="Binary\CrystalReports11_RDC_Runtime.msm" />
   <Merge Id="MRG_CRENGNE" Language="1033" DiskId="1" src="Binary\CrystalReports11_RDC_Reportengine.msm" />
And then use MergeRef in the feature(s).

Since some of the components install into common locations you have to be careful.  If you
dont  have  ALLUSERS  set,  current  user  may  not  have write permission to one of these
locations.   There  are  plenty  of  properties in merge modules, including component/file
selections and paths, that you can set in your wrapper.  Dark the MSMs and you'll see what
they  are  and  what  they  do.  I chickened out by using ALLUSERS=1.  I can do that in my
case.

Best regards,
 Alexei