Re: Heat over 64 bit dll

John Cooper-2

I used to do something like that when I worked at Microsoft.  You need to be careful that ID’s can only be 72 chars.  It never fails that I have file names longer than 72 chars.  Also, it is rather common to have multiple files of the same name deployed, and this requires a system of “incrementing” the ID’s to prevent collision.  There are features that Wix 4.0 may have that will make this much easier (Id scoping is one), but Wix 4.0 is very far from being ready for production.

I have seen no evidence that heat can currently handle 64-bit COM very well.  Of course, the development of heat is entirely up to its fan base.  With all the many ways people want to use and extend it, code would be very welcome to extend heat.

--

John Merryweather Cooper

Senior Software Engineer | Enterprise Service Applications | Continuing Development

Jack Henry & Associates, Inc.® | Lenexa, KS  66214 | Ext:  431050 |[hidden email]

Re: Heat over 64 bit dll

John Cooper-2

Apologies.