Re: How to bundle a configuration file in burn?

Re: How to bundle a configuration file in burn?

Neil Sleightholm
You should be able to do this using the PayLoad element as a child of your ExePackage element.

Neil

Re: How to bundle a configuration file in burn?

Neil Sleightholm
I have to admit I haven't tried it yet (although probably will be doing exactly the same thing later today). Have you tried removing the path from the /CONFIGURATIONFILE parameter?

Neil

Re: How to bundle a configuration file in burn?

robmen
If that does not work, we should add a way to get the full path to a
payload via the Burn variable mechanism. That won't help you in WiX v3.6
but we should be able to add it in WiX v3.7.

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 2:37 AM, Christian Hausknecht <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ah... you mean that one should only provide a "relative" path like this:
>
> /CONFIGURATIONFILE=config.ini
>
> ? That sounds promising... I will try and report about it later on :-)
>
> Thx

Unfortunately is doesn’t work, SQL needs to full path. What we would need is a burn variable point to the cache folder - I'll add a defect so it is not lost.

Neil

If that does not work, we should add a way to get the full path to a payload via the Burn variable mechanism. That won't help you in WiX v3.6 but we should be able to add it in WiX v3.7.

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 2:37 AM, Christian Hausknecht < [hidden email]> wrote:

> Ah... you mean that one should only provide a "relative" path like this:
>
> /CONFIGURATIONFILE=config.ini
>
> ? That sounds promising... I will try and report about it later on :-)
>
> Thx

chroyer-2
> If that does not work, we should add a way to get the full path to a
> payload via the Burn variable mechanism. That won't help you in WiX v3.6
> but we should be able to add it in WiX v3.7.

This sounds familiar...see here:
http://windows-installer-xml-wix-toolset.687559.n2.nabble.com/Burn-Exe-package-can-t-find-payload-file-that-s-not-a-dll-tp7578750p7578818.html

which resulted in defect 3538846.

Not sure which solution is best, maybe both?

Christophe

Re: How to bundle a configuration file in burn?

robmen
Both, I expect.

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 8:42 AM, chroyer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > If that does not work, we should add a way to get the full path to a
> > payload via the Burn variable mechanism. That won't help you in WiX v3.6
> > but we should be able to add it in WiX v3.7.
>
> This sounds familiar...see here:
>
> http://windows-installer-xml-wix-toolset.687559.n2.nabble.com/Burn-Exe-package-can-t-find-payload-file-that-s-not-a-dll-tp7578750p7578818.html
>
> which resulted in defect 3538846.
>
> Not sure which solution is best, maybe both?
>
> Christophe

virtually,

   Rob Mensching
   http://RobMensching.com LLC

Re: How to bundle a configuration file in burn?

Neil Sleightholm
In this case it is slightly different, when you run the SQL install it extracts the setup to another folder (usually a guid folder name on drive c) it then runs the install from that folder and that fails to find the config file as it is not in the same folder.

Neil

> If that does not work, we should add a way to get the full path to a
> payload via the Burn variable mechanism. That won't help you in WiX
> v3.6 but we should be able to add it in WiX v3.7.

This sounds familiar...see here:
http://windows-installer-xml-wix-toolset.687559.n2.nabble.com/Burn-Exe-package-can-t-find-payload-file-that-s-not-a-dll-tp7578750p7578818.html

which resulted in defect 3538846.

Not sure which solution is best, maybe both?

Christophe
Live Security Virtual Conference
Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware threats. http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/

Re: How to bundle a configuration file in burn?

Varun7447
We are facing the same problem when installing extra files. These extra files are added by user next to bundle exe. The bundle exe then looks like caching the main and other packages to a different location. The extra files are left behind in the source directory and never get installed over to the installation location. Also is it possible to use wildcard in burn payload?