Re: [wix4] WIXFEAT4658 - Add builtin button functionality to thmutil (#89)

Re: [wix4] WIXFEAT4658 - Add builtin button functionality to thmutil (#89)

SeanHall
I updated the WIP with my problems designing the previous page action at http://wixtoolset.org/development/wips/4658-builtin-thmutil-button-functionality/ (the pull request will need to get merged in before it shows up there).  I'm open for suggestions.

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 6:24 PM, Jack Hennessey <[hidden email]> wrote:

It would be nice if there was also a way to just go back to the previous page without having to specify the page name. That would make it much easier to support multiple page branches in the UI (which really sucks in Windows Installer UI). I suppose that might be something that the BA has to implement but wanted to throw it out there.

By the way, this is really cool :)

Re: [wix4] WIXFEAT4658 - Add builtin button functionality to thmutil (#89)

jhennessey
Thanks for starting this thread.

My mind first went to the stack implementation you mentioned in the WIP. However, I didn't think of the problem that arises when you have the multiple options pages that eventually lead back to the Install page. Even taking that into consideration, I still think the standard stack behavior would be a good default behavior.

One option that might allow the sequence to progress more naturally in certain cases would be to add a "ResetSequence" attribute to the <ChangePageAction /> element. If this attribute is set to "true", then it would pop all pages off the stack until the page specified by the "Page" attribute is reached (that page is then displayed).

So, in the case you describe in the WIP, page "S" (the second option page) would have this authoring under the "Next" button:

<ChangePageAction Page="Install" ResetSequence="true" />

Then, the "S" and "O" pages would get popped of the stack and the install page "I" would now go back to the welcome page "W" the next time <PreviousPageAction /> is encountered.

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 10:50 PM, Sean Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
I updated the WIP with my problems designing the previous page action at http://wixtoolset.org/development/wips/4658-builtin-thmutil-button-functionality/ (the pull request will need to get merged in before it shows up there).  I'm open for suggestions.

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 6:24 PM, Jack Hennessey <[hidden email]> wrote:

It would be nice if there was also a way to just go back to the previous page without having to specify the page name. That would make it much easier to support multiple page branches in the UI (which really sucks in Windows Installer UI). I suppose that might be something that the BA has to implement but wanted to throw it out there.

By the way, this is really cool :)

Re: [wix4] WIXFEAT4658 - Add builtin button functionality to thmutil (#89)

Bob Arnson-6
My $0.02: Prioritize (1) straight line, (2) branches (i.e., "click Go to install or Customize to choose features" both of which go to progress page). Anything else is gravy.

http://joyofsetup.com/

Re: [wix4] WIXFEAT4658 - Add builtin button functionality to thmutil (#89)

Rob Mensching-7

100% agree with this position.

FireGiant  |  Dedicated support for the WiX toolset  |  http://www.firegiant.com/