Registration of COM Executable Server

Anil Patel
Hello,

I have used to HEAT to generate the registry entries required for a COM dll
but I don’t think that it does this for COM EXEs.

Is there anyway other way of doing this without having to call the EXE
with /RegServer
switches?

Thanks,

Anil.

Re: Registration of COM Executable Server

Peter Shirtcliffe
Download RegSpy2 from
http://www.installsite.org/pages/en/msi/tips.htm

You'll need to do some work to convert it to Wix code. Search this list for
"regspy2"

I have used to HEAT to generate the registry entries required for a COM dll
but I don't think that it does this for COM EXEs.

Is there anyway other way of doing this without having to call the EXE
with /RegServer
switches?

Thanks,

Anil.
SDL PLC confidential, all rights reserved.
If you are not the intended recipient of this mail SDL requests and requires that you delete it without acting upon or copying any of its contents, and we further request that you advise us.
SDL PLC is a public limited company registered in England and Wales.  Registered number: 02675207.
Registered address: Globe House, Clivemont Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire SL6 7DY, UK.

Re: Registration of COM Executable Server

Anil Patel
Thanks Peter.

I'll try that.

Anil.

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 11:08 AM, Peter Shirtcliffe <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Download RegSpy2 from
> http://www.installsite.org/pages/en/msi/tips.htm
>
> You'll need to do some work to convert it to Wix code. Search this list for
> "regspy2"

Pally Sandher
You can find links to RegSpy2 at http://www.installsite.org/pages/en/msi/tips.htm (scroll down to the heading "Capture Self-Registration Information")
Use it to generate .reg file which you can then pass to heat.exe to transform into a WiX fragment. You will probably want to clean up the WiX fragment as heat.exe literally translates every entry in the .reg file to RegistryKey/RegistryValue elements so you'll find a lot of duplicates or unnecessary code.

It would be lovely if heat.exe offered this functionality itself but I suspect there are more pressing issues at hand for the WiX dev team.

Palbinder Sandher
Software Deployment Engineer
T: +44 (0) 141 945 8500
F: +44 (0) 141 945 8501

http://www.iesve.com
**Design, Simulate + Innovate with the <Virtual Environment>**
Integrated Environmental Solutions Limited. Registered in Scotland No. SC151456
Registered Office - Helix Building, West Of Scotland Science Park, Glasgow G20 0SP
Email Disclaimer
On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 11:08 AM, Peter Shirtcliffe <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Download RegSpy2 from
> http://www.installsite.org/pages/en/msi/tips.htm
>
> You'll need to do some work to convert it to Wix code. Search this list for
> "regspy2"

hayhurst
It would be really would be great if heat could extract registry entries from out of process com servers. I believe there is a feature request (#103) that is targeted for wix 3.* anyone know when this is scheduled to be done?