Repost: Wix Burn and KeyPath file hot repair/restore by Windows Installer.

Repost: Wix Burn and KeyPath file hot repair/restore by Windows Installer.

Farrukhw
Hi,
Reposting with a hope that someone may be able to give some guidance, as last time it was left abandoned:

I've developed a Managed Bootstrapper and now near to release the product. Normally, if a KeyPath file is removed/modified, Windows Installer would try to restore/repair that. But in case we used Managed Bootstrapper to deliver the product, Windows Installer service would be asking for the source msi installer files, which we have packed into the Bootstrapper in this case.

How to let Windows Installer get the missing files from Boostrapper Package?

Re: Repost: Wix Burn and KeyPath file hot repair/restore by Windows Installer.

Wyrdfish
If the msi is installed it is usually stored in the c:\windows\installer folder and that would be used for autoheal repair.

I understand that burn caches packages in case this is not true anymore.

Reposting with a hope that someone may be able to give some guidance, as last time it was left abandoned:

I've developed a Managed Bootstrapper and now near to release the product.
Normally, if a KeyPath file is removed/modified, Windows Installer would try to restore/repair that. But in case we used Managed Bootstrapper to deliver the product, Windows Installer service would be asking for the source msi installer files, which we have packed into the Bootstrapper in this case.

How to let Windows Installer get the missing files from Boostrapper Package?

SDL PLC confidential, all rights reserved.
If you are not the intended recipient of this mail SDL requests and requires that you delete it without acting upon or copying any of its contents, and we further request that you advise us.
SDL PLC is a public limited company registered in England and Wales.  Registered number: 02675207.
Registered address: Globe House, Clivemont Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire SL6 7DY, UK.

Re: Repost: Wix Burn and KeyPath file hot repair/restore by Windows Installer.

John Cooper-2
As I recall, the copy in the Installer folder is dehydrated (stripped of content).  For Repair/Patch to work without the dreaded missing source dialog appearing, the MSI needs to be either:  1) cached, or 2) in the same location it was when the install was performed.

--
John Merryweather Cooper
Senior Software Engineer | Enterprise Service Applications | Continuing Development

[...]

NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any files transmitted with it are intended
together with any attachment, may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
Any unauthorized review, use, printing, saving, copying, disclosure or distribution

Re: Repost: Wix Burn and KeyPath file hot repair/restore by Windows Installer.

Wyrdfish
I thought that had changed at one point and the windows installer cached the full msi. Not looked into it for ages.

[...]

NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any files transmitted with it are intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. The message, together with any attachment, may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
Any unauthorized review, use, printing, saving, copying, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email and delete all copies.

Re: Repost: Wix Burn and KeyPath file hot repair/restore by Windows Installer.

Hoover, Jacob
>From what I remember, Windows Installer caches the entire MSI to preserve the digital signature, however it doesn't consider the version it caches as a valid source for files. So if it needs a file to repair it will still prompt for source (and is also a reason to always use external CAB's).

I thought that had changed at one point and the windows installer cached the full msi. Not looked into it for ages.

If the msi is installed it is usually stored in the c:\windows\installer folder and that would be used for autoheal repair.

I understand that burn caches packages in case this is not true anymore.

Re: Repost: Wix Burn and KeyPath file hot repair/restore by Windows Installer.

Hoover, Jacob
Sorry, forgot to post a reference.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/heaths/archive/2009/02/02/changes-to-package-caching-in-windows-installer-5-0.aspx

I thought that had changed at one point and the windows installer cached the full msi. Not looked into it for ages.

If the msi is installed it is usually stored in the c:\windows\installer folder and that would be used for autoheal repair.

I understand that burn caches packages in case this is not true anymore.

Re: Repost: Wix Burn and KeyPath file hot repair/restore by Windows Installer.

Phil Wilson
The MSI doesn't get installed from inside the exe, Windows Installer
doesn't know how to do that, so it's first unpacked into some
location. The bootstrapper logging should tell you where that is.
---------------
Phil Wilson

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 9:33 AM, Hoover, Jacob
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry, forgot to post a reference.
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/heaths/archive/2009/02/02/changes-to-package-caching-in-windows-installer-5-0.aspx

I know it is true for external MSI's that you'd need to set Cache=Yes (It should default to yes so if it isn't then that sounds like a bug) on the MsiPackage in the bundle to have it cache it in the WiX PackageCache. I haven't confirmed it yet, but I would assume the same for embedded files as well. (All the more reason to not embed your MSI's and just let WiX download and cache them.)

The MSI doesn't get installed from inside the exe, Windows Installer doesn't know how to do that, so it's first unpacked into some location. The bootstrapper logging should tell you where that is.
---------------
Phil Wilson

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 9:33 AM, Hoover, Jacob <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry, forgot to post a reference.
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/heaths/archive/2009/02/02/changes-to-package-c
> aching-in-windows-installer-5-0.aspx

Can burn bundle detect the absence of key path files and launch the repair action?

mayooran99
Is it possible to check if there are any files missing in the installed locations, and based on that launch the repair action using my bootstrapper EXE? I can launch the repair action if the packages included in the MSI are absent. But how can I launch the repair action if the files are missing from the installed location? Any help would be much appreciated

Re: Can burn bundle detect the absence of key path files and launch the repair action?

Farrukhw
I think, this is done by packaged msi internally. I never observed this, but Bundle actually installs msi which take care of missing files.

On 7 July 2016 at 16:02, mayooran99 [via Windows Installer XML (WiX) toolset] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is it possible to check if there are any files missing in the installed locations, and based on that launch the repair action using my bootstrapper EXE? I can launch the repair action if the packages included in the MSI are absent. But how can I launch the repair action if the files are missing from the installed location? Any help would be much appreciated

To unsubscribe from Repost: Wix Burn and KeyPath file hot repair/restore by Windows Installer., click here.
NAML